Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Nissan buying Mitsubishi?!

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  fox_brand 
#1 ·
According to several sources, Nissan is in talks of purchasing a controlling interest in Mitsubishi Motors, who most know are in the midst of the MPG scandal. It hasn't been confirmed, but it is seeming pretty likely. What are your thoughts/ideas/wishes/etc. regarding this?

I, for one, think it may be a good thing for Mitsubishi. They've been struggling quite a bit these last few years, and Nissan might be able to whip them in to shape. As for my ideas/wishes- EclipZe?

#3 ·
I really think it'd work. Rather than an Eclipse revival going against the Z series, Genesis Coupe, and GT86, Nissan and Mitsubishi could tag team it and own the market.

I'd be okay with twins as well, but I don't think they should price themselves out of the market.

#16 ·
Personally I don't give a flying fish, I love the brand and my car, from the business management perspective this is entirely an INVESTMENT, Nissan will not put money on something to loss it later...some to read below:
Nissan takes 34% stake in scandal-hit Mitsubishi Motors
So what current performance-inspired Mitsubishi model do you love? That's what we're getting at. Nissan's controlling investment means they have large hand in management, i.e. future builds.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm really expecting good things out of this. Nissan has not ever really had a 4 door sports car, so perhaps an Evo revival with insane technology could be on the horizon. And as stated above, I'd love to see a Z-Eclipse crossover. What I don't want to happen is 3 different names for the same car- Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS, Toyota GT86. I'd rather they jump in together and make one beast of a car. Nissan has a thing for having several models of cars- if you look at the 370z, there's like 12 different packages you can get with it, ranging anywhere from $22,000 up to $48,000. I think it'd be cool to have something like that. A base model inline 4, an upgraded V6, and then turbo I4 or twin turbo V6 models. That way everyone could get something they want, and Mitsan would have a hand in every market- from standard commuter car that looks awesome, to a performance targeted sports coupe. And word on the street is that the next Genesis Coupe will have a twin turbo V6 model, so an EclipZe TT could be a competitor. If they play their cards right, this could be a great business strategy for both companies.

#18 ·
Yeah Mitsubishi is much bigger in other places than here in the USA. In Japan the Colt is really popular, even the ralliart version. South East Asia is a pretty big area for them, especially with the triton/mirage. It's not all quad turbo AWD vroooooom cars. Though hopefully we get some of the cooler versions/cars here.

#19 ·
The problem in the Japan market is that they want to stay under size and fuel use limits for lower tax brackets on the vehicles for the purchasers. Nobody wants to pay for a luxury vehicle just because it's 1mpg over/10mm wider than the standard, right

#22 ·
Nissan is doing this to increase their claim in the Asian market. Mitsu and Nissan are basically the only cars over there. If Nissan wanted to, they could eliminate Mitsu from the Asian market, keeping them in only the U.S. and do 1 of 2 things. 1. They don't let Mitsu do anything in terms of "new sports cars" and make Mitsu go bankrupt, due to their unpopular line up and then take them over the rest of the company and re-badge it or 2. revitalize their line up and make them, sorta, as the company they were before. This probably isn't for the American scene just yet, but it might lead into it

#23 ·
the last I read, at the most, Nissan is partnering with Mistubishi North America, I do have hope for this, I do not like Nissan, I know way too much about Nissan engine engineering however, their automotive platforms are wonderful, ideally, I hope Mitsubishi engine and Nissan chassis's, still up to this day 10 years out, Mitsubishi chassis's (from my 8g Galant) are world class

#24 · (Edited)
^^^Fox_brand^^^ Hi - ...You stated: "I do not like Nissan, I know way too much about Nissan engine engineering", Can you share a little of your knowledge with all of us, and say what's wrong with any of the engines, example what would be wrong with the 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged 24-valve V6 engine stock...thank you!

#26 · (Edited)
I'm back everybody

the VQ engines are inherently, weird, the 35's have desk instability that is such that boring the block, you can't use deck plates because that will warp the bores in such a way that you have a ton of blowby in a running engine, I had a long discussion about this with my machine shop about this because they at first thought my block was a Nissan block, it is not the case if you are using Darton Sleeves. All that aside, I have seen way too many SR20's blown up from shear incompetence in literally every way you can imagine

#25 ·
^^^Fox_brand^^^ I am excited about this myself. I will agree that Mitsu can come up with some quality engineering. Granted this 4G is a heavy car BUT there are no squeeks or rattles and the chassis punches you in the kidneys when the coilovers are cranked up tight. The chassis in terms of rigidity is pretty good. Look how many 4Gs that rollover and there is minimal roof damage outside of panel denting. I feel the opposite from you on the engine front though. I feel Nissan has some good stuff. The VQVHR is a really good design with the split block bottom, beefy rods and vvel. I understand they outsourced a while back with Renault though for the vq35de and some other stuff. What exactly don't you like about Nissan engine developement if we can ask? They pretty much are responsible for the developement of small displacement turbo engines. CA18, SR20, RB series, KA24 gets turboed, 280-300ZTurbo, whatever is in the Juke, the GT-R is only a 3.5L. Mitsu has been lagging in engine development, granted they aren't a private consumer auto powerhouse but they ran the 4g63T from 91-2007 and all they did was crank the boost up (speaks to a good original design though). The 6g series has been underpowered for the displacement and overall I don't feel they have been active in developing engines. I admit though, that could be from the smaller corporate budget size just being behind others.

One reason I am excited is the 370z hasn't changed since 2009. A new model is going to be designed but they don't have a chassis platform. This merger could result in an information sharing that lands Nissan with a new chassis and a new z car, maybe with engine options. Imagine a smaller Zcar with double wishbone 4 corners and a 4B series turbo mitsu engine. You could kiss the GT86 and Gencoupe goodbye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.