Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Pilot Super Sport Tires or...

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  blkwings 
#1 ·
im wondering what kind of tires you guys use? im getting pilot super sports on stock 18s installed soon , right now i have a toyo and a Firestone FR710r because of a flat from a rock about a month ago.

Whenever i gas it from a stand still the tires would wheel spin (1-1.5 seconds) like no tomorrow then take off. I even tried turning traction control off , letting it stay on, all these different combinations and it still wheelspins.

How do you guys launch your GT?

#2 · (Edited)
I hope you're not launching it like a Honda. The GT makes an awful lot of torque that will easily break traction, add to that an open diff and you've got a nasty one wheel peeler. You've either got to scale back the rpm (~3k personally) on a clutch dump or learn to feather the throttle a ways to control that.

I've recently purchased new Continental ExtremeContact DW tires that are yet to go on. Have heard only good things about PSSs, so you're bueno in that regard

#5 ·
Never owned a honda lol dont like torque less motors. So you shift around 3k? i sort of been red lining it but i know most of our power comes from 4500-5500 or something like that

#4 ·
I have Goodyear Eagle Sport tires because they weren't on 3 week backorder. Not as good on the launch as my Hankook Optimo tires were, but much nicer cornering. Nice hard sidewalls, lots of feedback from the road

V rated, 149mph, because I'm realistic and don't have any Fast and Furious runways to play on.

#7 ·
I was thinking about Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, but decided to go with super sports cause eagles didnt have as good dry traction, while with the sports they said the only con were not as comfortable as the others but i just prefer performance over anything else lol

sources: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=218

#10 ·
I was getting sick of wheel spin, and the GT's biggest challenge in my mind is grip. I've run Continental DW and now have Hankook. These are both great for the GT, though the R-S3's handle much better on the track, just about the stickiest road legal tire you can get. Both get thumbs up from me, without the cost of the Super/Pilot Sports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.