Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority - View Single Post - Diagnosing Driveline Issues?
View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
fhadso

Name: Dave
Vehicle: 2006 Eclpise GS
fhadso will become famous soon enough
Diagnosing Driveline Issues?

So, I have a few problems with my driveline - I think.

2007 GS - 5MTX

1. My gears grind if I shift too quickly. There doesn't seem to be specific gears that do it, but I've noticed it on gears 2,3 and 5.

2. When I let off and reapply gas, there's a jerk each time. When I let off, there is a noticeable jerk backward, and then when I give it gas it jerks forward. When it "hangs" while I'm not accelerating, I can hear some gear noise, but it's not too noticeable inside the car.

3. When I put it into first while coasting to a stop with the clutch pushed in(disengaged?), sometimes I can feel/hear the ABS kicking in, and there is a noticeable clunk. I don't put it into first until I'm about to stop, so this is a period of about five seconds, and I'm not usually going faster than 15 MPH. When I'm going say, 30, I'm in 4th. If I need to come to a complete stop, I push the clutch in, slow down, and as I'm slowing down, I'm shifting down through the gears until I get to first, and I almost always have to put more effort into shifting into first than I would when I'm stopped.

4. A few times, especially after accelerating on a tight turn (around 5 MPH), it pulls to the right or left on acceleration. It's so bad that I have to force it back to center with the steering wheel. This doesn't happen very often and it's only at around 30 MPH, thank God.

I'm not sure if it's a differential issue, a CV joint issue, or just a fucked up tranny in general. The clutch performs for the most part as expected. I never have issues getting into or out of first or reverse from a stop. I currently have redline in it, but these issues were more prevalent before the change.

What should I check first? How would I check it? This is outside of my skillset, unfortunately. I've never really done anything with the driveline, so this is all new to me. I've checked that there aren't any leaks around the drive shaft(s), and I couldn't see anything that was obvious. I did notice one of my tie rods has power steering fluid on it, but I don't think that's related. If I wasn't having other issues with the driveline, and pulling to one side was the only issue, I would suspect the tie rod.

I did notice I could see the "teeth" where the CV joints go into my spindle/bearing(?), but other than that I can't make an accurate diagnosis.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote