06 Eclipse GS will crank but not start. Help! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Bryce
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
BryceA is on a distinguished road
06 Eclipse GS will crank but not start. Help!

Hello! I'm hoping that someone can help me solve this problem. About a week ago, I started my car in the morning to go to work, as I was driving my car to work I noticed something was wrong. When idling, the RPM's would drop down and bog my car then jump back up, I'd go to shift gears and my RPM's would either jump up to 3300-3500 or stay steadily at whatever rpm I went to shift at. Then after work, it had a little problem trying to start, it would crank but not start, tried it a second time, it started. Now after I got home same day, it won't start at all. I have fuel, air, and spark. Please help.
BryceA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Trav
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse GT/ Silver
traser579 is on a distinguished road
Hey what's your mileage and have you ever replace your timing chain not necessarily saying that's the problem
traser579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
I don't feel it would be the timing belt. Slipped timing would have very different symptoms

Do you have any codes at all?

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 16th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertooth^2 View Post
i don't feel it would be the timing belt. Slipped timing would have very different symptoms

do you have any codes at all?
whatcha thinking..... Vacuum?
Old December 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by traser579 View Post
Hey what's your mileage and have you ever replace your timing chain not necessarily saying that's the problem
>chain
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Quote:
whatcha thinking..... Vacuum?
Yeah, a bad vacuum leak would do that. I just wanted to find out if there was a point to start by based on engine codes

My Build Thread
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just reread that too .....chain.... Damn auto-correct....
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: T.C
Vehicle: 2007 GS
MaClipse is on a distinguished road
don't know if it fix yet but you should check the Battery ...
MaClipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
My car currently has 102,947 miles on it. I think I may have just replied to your personal message.
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
I don't feel it would be the timing belt. Slipped timing would have very different symptoms

Do you have any codes at all?
Only codes I have were for the oxygen sensors. I had it diagnosed at the Mitsubishi dealership, they ruled it out as the timing belt slipped (timing belt was in rough condition) causing jumped time, and bent some valves. So the bent valves weren't creating compression, I've ordered almost $1200 in parts (re-maned head, timing belt, timing components, balance shaft belt and headgasket). Also, I had Mitsubishi reflash the ECU while my car was there just as a precautionary measure.
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaClipse View Post
don't know if it fix yet but you should check the Battery ...
I just bought a new battery last October (2016) so it's relatively new.
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Geez. I'm amazed it even ran like it did with bent valves

My Build Thread
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Geez. I'm amazed it even ran like it did with bent valves
I am too, I installed a new head along with head gasket, head bolts, timing belt and timing components. The timing belt was missing 20-25 teeth from the belt.
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Wow, what the fuck! That thing was really hanging in there for having its teeth ripped out

My Build Thread
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

A little update to anyone who would care, the engine is back together, timing is perfect, installed a new head, gaskets, belt, etc. car will crank but will not start. I have fuel pressure in the fuel rail, but it's not injecting into the cylinder(pulled a plug out and it is dry), and I have new plugs. My friend was saying it could quite possibly be a camshaft position sensor, or the crankshaft position sensor. I also have no codes on the dash, and my battery is running at 12.4 volts..anyone have a similar issue?
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Chiz
Vehicle: 2011/GS/Coupe
Chizzler is on a distinguished road
I have a similar issue, cranks but wont start and no codes... have been discussing with Sabretooth and car has been at the Garage for 3 weeks now ugh so I feel your pain.

Garage is very busy and keep putting me off, which is frustrating. Last update I got from the garage was that they noticed a loss in valve pressure. Car is outside and down pouring so i am not to hopefull they will look at it today, but will let you know what they find. Mine was starting but clunking out, now wont start at all.

My battery as well, is new... they just changed the timing belt and spark plugs. I can rule out head gasket as I did alot of reading on it and am not seeing any symptoms. Also no codes as well :/
Chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzler View Post
I have a similar issue, cranks but wont start and no codes... have been discussing with Sabretooth and car has been at the Garage for 3 weeks now ugh so I feel your pain.

Garage is very busy and keep putting me off, which is frustrating. Last update I got from the garage was that they noticed a loss in valve pressure. Car is outside and down pouring so i am not to hopefull they will look at it today, but will let you know what they find. Mine was starting but clunking out, now wont start at all.

My battery as well, is new... they just changed the timing belt and spark plugs. I can rule out head gasket as I did alot of reading on it and am not seeing any symptoms. Also no codes as well :/
That sucks, man. I hope they figure it out! Like previously stated I replaced the head so there shouldn't be any loss in valve pressure (hopefully!). I replaced the cam sensor, still doesn't start so my next step is to get a new crankshaft position sensor and hope that does the trick..if that doesn't work then I'll be at a loss to what it could be..
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, what the fuck! That thing was really hanging in there for having its teeth ripped out
I was talking with my friend who's helping me with my car and he suspects that the timing belt teeth were sheered off after my car died when I tried to start it. When I had it diagnosed at Mitsubishi the notes stated that when they tried to start it, the cam sprocket didn't move (hence the t belt being sheered)
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

UPDATE:
My baby finally runs now! Before when I had the car together there was no fuel injecting or spark. Replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it started to inject fuel and spark. Checked the valve clearance, and it was way off, exhaust valves are .30mm and intake valves are .20mm, they were all sitting flush ontop of the valves. Loosened all the valves a little bit and the it fired right up, after that I measured them all to spec. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Chiz
Vehicle: 2011/GS/Coupe
Chizzler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceA View Post
UPDATE:
My baby finally runs now! Before when I had the car together there was no fuel injecting or spark. Replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it started to inject fuel and spark. Checked the valve clearance, and it was way off, exhaust valves are .30mm and intake valves are .20mm, they were all sitting flush ontop of the valves. Loosened all the valves a little bit and the it fired right up, after that I measured them all to spec. Thank you everyone for your input.
Awesome to hear Bryce.. that's wikit! as for me... I haven't had much luck, garage kept putting me off, and weather wasn't cooperating as they didn't want to work on it outside in the rain. Yesterday they looked at it, started up first try, drove it into the garage and gave it another try, said its getting spark and fuel, but said it appears to be getting to much fuel. After checking the EKG valve and a couple other things, he gave up and said ill have to tow it to the dealership. Going to tow it over on monday, so fingers crossed... ill have better news come this time next week!
Chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceA View Post
UPDATE:
Awesome to hear Bryce.. that's wikit! as for me... I haven't had much luck, garage kept putting me off, and weather wasn't cooperating as they didn't want to work on it outside in the rain. Yesterday they looked at it, started up first try, drove it into the garage and gave it another try, said its getting spark and fuel, but said it appears to be getting to much fuel. After checking the EKG valve and a couple other things, he gave up and said ill have to tow it to the dealership. Going to tow it over on monday, so fingers crossed... ill have better news come this time next week!
Sorry to hear, man. Keep me updated as to what it was, I'd definitely like to know. I'm going to talk to a few of my friends that know engines like the back of their hand and see if they can come up with anything and I'll let you know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.