I know its been talked about but had an idea awd conversion - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
I know its been talked about but had an idea awd conversion

I would like to have a awd eclipse just like many on here and began thinking about getting a endeavor (driving condition) for a swap since I have the gs id swap the v6 in along with the whole wire harness and rear end I felt this may be a simple type odea since it was a running car donor from the start and as many have said the v6 swap if parts are cheap enough is doable. Well thats my idea I e seen some complete endeavors for 3,000 around here which got me thinking.
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
It has been done. I wouldn't suggest the engine swap from that though--less power. There's a company in New York, based out of Russia that was advertising the service on here.
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply your always informative lol, i had thought about the power loss but just thought it may be a more simple swap than a ls engine with rwd or figuring an awd to fit with the ls engine since the endeavor already has all the parts might would make it possible to upgrade in the future to the ls while having all the stuff hooked up already. The ls dream is always on my mind il be having a decent income this yr so im getting some ideas before so I can start saving for it. However can say obviously a new vette would be nice for a new car but for a project car to transform into a underestimated weekend racer i do think a ls engine would be fun. Itl either go one of 3 ways lol new car and keep the 4g for just daily use til it breaks then do something, sell the 4g engine do a swap for awd or go rwd with some real power just seeing how the endeavor idea is its kinda got me leaning toward the rwd and have a fun car vs practical for all weather. Might have to get a couple 4gs and do all my ideas. Thats why this site is awesome keeps everyone thinking of new stuff to do sorry for long posts just throwing out my ideas and plans

Old December 28th, 2016, 04:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My opinion, but I'd say do a more fun swap. You're gonna be dumping a lot of cash in to make your GS an AWD V6 powered car. Just save up a bit more, put in more research, and get help from someone with experience on engine swaps. Go with something larger displacement that fits, with a healthy aftermarket.

Or, you could buy something that already comes with a better setup. I hate to talk down the 4g Eclipse, but it is what it is, and to change it is very expensive. You're doing a full redesign when you do that. It's more economic to buy something mass marketed and factory built closer to race specs. Less cool though. I'd love to own a RWD LS powered 4g. Just doing so would be a bit of a nightmare with all that's involved. It would become a toy car though. And toy cars are allowed to be a pain in the ass.
Old December 28th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
You know, I've had a similar idea to yours, but the other way around. I'd want to put my V6 and six-speed into a FWD Endeavor and hoon around in that. It wouldn't be crazy fast, but quicker than most people would expect (mild sleeper status) and have the title (probably) of owning the first manual transmission'd Endeavor in North America, or possibly even the world. Of course you'd need a GT first, so maybe not ideal for you.

You could pull the engine and FWD tranny out of a junkyard Endeavor and swap them into your GS for a relatively easy 225hp/255tq. It'd be a big improvement over the 4G69.
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Vehicle: 2006 GT 6MT
MarionCobretti has a spectacular aura about
Pretty sure the Endeavor rear diff and suspension isn't exactly an easy bolt in anyway. I've heard it fits, but the suspension geometry is all wrong, since it's set up for SUV ride height and suspension travel. So it ends up looking like this unless you do some serious fabrication work.

MarionCobretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionCobretti View Post
Pretty sure the Endeavor rear diff and suspension isn't exactly an easy bolt in anyway. I've heard it fits, but the suspension geometry is all wrong, since it's set up for SUV ride height and suspension travel. So it ends up looking like this unless you do some serious fabrication work.

Well, still better than #stancenation lol
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha yea well least our cars werrnt too low from factory mines mostly stock because if i do something to it it needs to be reliable thats why i havnt looked into turbos but im at 210,000 miles so if the engine gives before i do anything with the car il be doing some sort of a swap which is why I felt like seeig what some ideas are not trying to revive the dead threads asking what meeds to be done i think most of us know what the basic ideas of how a awd works and what it takes structurally to support a awd system thats why Im seeing what other ideas we can come up with its our platform and eventually more people i feel like will continue wanting it to be something its not. We already have turbos and one awd once we get a few in the us more people will be attempting thats why im cosidering some sort of swap even if i gotta wack up the body to put it on a camaro frame lol
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are actually a lot more than just 1 AWD swapped Eclipse. Just ones I could find the citation for, there are 2 in Russia, and 2 in the USA. Club 3g has 6g75 AWD setups swapped in a bunch of theirs, which is our GT engine on their body.

If you're willing to go all out, I'd love to see a RWD V8 setup. Muscle Eclipse, hahaha. The 4.8L LS is one I'd like to drop in, but I'm unsure about clearance.. The engines themselves are decently cheap as well, and common. The aftermarket is huge, as it uses interchangeable parts with the 5.3L
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive never seen any awds or rear wheel drives of our cars other than the one on here, would like to see more of them. Im going to check out thise you were refering to ,its not a common thing by far and as for pricing for engines i agree a ls engine and trans aslong as its a running one dont seem overly expensive the 1980 corvette i have sounds not much different than a 2016 least from a idle point, which theyve made some changes but still makes me feel good knowing my 80 sounds about the same minus a different exhaust. But back on subject compared to the endeavor the cars prices for a donor are about the same 4000 for a running endeavor or like 6-8 for a low miled camaro also the camaro wheel base is close to the same as ours which would make that frame a possible swap
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Do you know any places to look for aditional awd threads even if its just the engine Im still interested in learning what steps worked for them, im all about learning from others misteaks before I make my own lol
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A company named iNeXsys has AWD swapped the 4g. I'm pretty sure they've been on the forum here before and were the ones offering the service to the USA (in New York) instead of just Russia

Club 3g has a lot of 4g related information. They like to swap the 4g engines in and mod the crap out of them
Old January 4th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ive been reading up on what some of them had done but id like to really know how far off the rear subframe was to bolting up lol

Tags
art, awd, car, cheap, conversion, eclipse, harness, king, parts, rear, start, swap, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.