I have a question Engine swap - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jenn
zairaanima is on a distinguished road
Engine swap

I'm trying to do an engine swap, but I'm really trying to avoid having to cut into the firewall. I was thinking about putting a 2JZ in my 06 eclipse gt, but I've been looking for alternative engines that are just as good and a bit easier to work with. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
zairaanima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Vehicle: 2006 GT 6MT
MarionCobretti has a spectacular aura about
A 2JZ? Those were never used in a transverse application, and would be way too long. Unless you installed in longitudinally and converted the Eclipse to RWD. All you'd need would be a transmission driveshaft, differential, custom rear suspension, and a redesigned floor pan. You should be able to make it happen for 30 grand or so!

If you really want to make more power with a GT, then keeping an eye out for a used Ripp supercharger kit would be your best bet.

Any kind of swap is going to be way more work and fabrication than you're imagining. And given the layout of the car, you'd need to swap in an engine designed for a transverse application. Here are a few ideas, even though you're not going to actually do it.

1 FWD LS motor from an Impala SS. You'd probably need the trans, too. That engine could be modded to big power levels.
2. Neon or Caliber SRT4 drivetrain. Again, potential for big power from tuning.
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
I beat this topic to death over ls engines hahaha but pretty much if you have the time and money anything is possible, for the rearend to be awd or rwd it will require like above mentioned a new rear end welded in, my opinion the ls engines seem cheaper to get ahold of from what ive seen thats why I was interestedin them. But it all comes down to what you want to spend if you have lets say $2000 into engine and misc parts, transmission, other drivetrain , engine mounts plus rear end then getting it welded in which Id be only trusting people who know what they are doing. Do it right or you could get injured in a wreck. I personally am not a welder so i would expect it to cost atleast a few hundred if given a good deal. Then other modifications needed could be in 10,000 dollar range quickly
Smokeynbandit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 5th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: William
Vehicle: 1994 3000gt vr4
Billyfrancis40 is on a distinguished road
Get a 3000gt turbo motor you would love it.
Billyfrancis40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Put an evo engine in
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
Put a Bugatti engine in it
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Apologies if we come off rude, but this is a common question we get all the time and it's beaten to death. The only swaps that have ever occured on our platform (at least on our forum) is a 6G75 into a GS, and a 4G63 into a GS.

If you weren't even aware the 2JZ was a longitudinal STRAIGHT 6 and not a transverse V6, you probably shouldn't be doing an engine swap, because its just as long as an LS. Its not just take out the old engine, put a new one in. There is mass amounts of fabrication needed, tranny swaps, drive train swaps, and it will cost you more to do an engine swap than it would be to just buy a newer, faster car.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
If only car modification was as easy as it is in Forza.. ( ._.)
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
Most people wont wont a fwd engine swap if doing all that work for more power, least i wouldnt
Smokeynbandit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeynbandit View Post
Most people wont wont a fwd engine swap if doing all that work for more power, least i wouldnt
Agreed. RWD/AWD > FWD
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
06 eclipse, eclipse, eclipse gt, engine, engine swap, good, king, swap, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.