Timing Belt - parts purchase - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2017, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Chiz
Vehicle: 2011/GS/Coupe
Chizzler is on a distinguished road
Timing Belt - parts purchase

Hey guys,

Looking for some assistance.... I am due to change my timing belt and am trying to figure out what parts to order for this. A friend is going to do it for me...

Could someone point me to the parts needed.. possibly on rockauto.com ?

Thank You!

David
Chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: natty
escapefate will become famous soon enough
Whats the deal with the TB on these cars? is it that bad? I am still under 60K miles and have the original.

If its so bad why didnt they do a recall?

Sun and Sound Package.
escapefate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Nathan
Vehicle: 3000gt VR4
vr4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefate View Post
Whats the deal with the TB on these cars? is it that bad? I am still under 60K miles and have the original.

It's not just a mileage thing, it's an age thing. And it's not just these cars, it applies to any car with a timing belt. Rubber gets dry and brittle over a period of years
vr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 10th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
You're def overdue for a change Natty

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefate View Post

Please please PLEASE for the love of god get your timing belt changed soon. It has nothing to do with the quality of the belt and everything to do with the fact that it's a belt. It's the exact same way for any car that runs a timing belt. Your crank shaft driving the pistons is connected to your cams ONLY by the timing belt. They move because the crank shaft allows it. If that snaps, your pistons will slam 263 horses worth of power into your open valves. Say goodbye to a running engine anytime soon. Its a BIG DEAL.

Onto OP's question, do NOT buy a timing belt from rockauto. Not that theres anything wrong with rockauto as a company, but their parts are NOT OEM. They are OEM SPEC. They are third party cheap chinese knock-offs, that's how they are so cheap. You NEED to buy OEM specific parts with something as important as this.

That being said, 2.4L Timing Belt Part # 1145A045
http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/oempar..._1145A045.html
Mitsubishi Timing Belt*1145A045*| Genuine OEM Mitsubishi Parts : Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % off Discount OEM Mitsubishi Parts Factory Direct Wholesale
https://www.mitsubishidirectparts.co...-belt-1145a045
https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.c...-belt-1145a045
Mitsubishi Galant (2007-2012). #1145A045: Engine Timing Belt. Timing belt.

Never cheap out on timing belts!
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Please please PLEASE for the love of god get your timing belt changed soon. It has nothing to do with the quality of the belt and everything to do with the fact that it's a belt. It's the exact same way for any car that runs a timing belt. Your crank shaft driving the pistons is connected to your cams ONLY by the timing belt. They move because the crank shaft allows it. If that snaps, your pistons will slam 263 horses worth of power into your open valves. Say goodbye to a running engine anytime soon. Its a BIG DEAL.

Onto OP's question, do NOT buy a timing belt from rockauto. Not that theres anything wrong with rockauto as a company, but their parts are NOT OEM. They are OEM SPEC. They are third party cheap chinese knock-offs, that's how they are so cheap. You NEED to buy OEM specific parts with something as important as this.

That being said, 2.4L Timing Belt Part # 1145A045
http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/oempar..._1145A045.html
Mitsubishi Timing Belt*1145A045*| Genuine OEM Mitsubishi Parts : Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % off Discount OEM Mitsubishi Parts Factory Direct Wholesale
https://www.mitsubishidirectparts.co...-belt-1145a045
https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.c...-belt-1145a045
Mitsubishi Galant (2007-2012). #1145A045: Engine Timing Belt. Timing belt.

Never cheap out on timing belts!
Perfect.... thanks a million Desert Rat!!!
Old March 10th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: charles
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
06gt4g is on a distinguished road
If youre changing your timing belt , its highly recommend you change the water pump along with the radiator fluid as well cause those things go out around the same mark as the timing belt as well. Might as well change your drive belts too, there are 2 for the GT model.
06gt4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool

Thank You.. I have the GS model... but will be replacing the water pump and radiator fluid.

I was going to get a friend to do it, but he may not be able to do it anymore. I am no mechanic... most advanced thing ive done is change brakes and oil change. How would one get the step by step directions on how to do this? and is this something I might be able to do?

I have no problem giving it a try, as it is sitting in my yard not being used until the summer and I have an SUV...however I dont want to have it ripped apart and get stuck and have to tow it to a garage and pay someone else to do it... that could get rather pricey lol
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

K so after reading through a million Timing Belt posts by searching the threads.. I have come to the conclusion that doing it myself is not a good idea lol

I have called my Mitsubishi dealer and they quoted $850 just to change the timing belt. I am going to call back and get a full quote including water pump, parts and tax.

I called another mechanic and they couldn't find any info, so they had to turn it down.

I would still like documentation if it exists ... if anyone has anything like that, let me know. Thanks Everyone! I want to try to keep the cost reasonable, as I plan on doing a ton of work before the summer on this car. I plan on doing all new performance brakes, rotors, spark plugs and struts (gonna try doing it myself), installing stereo equipment (15" sub, amp, double din touch screen deck) just need the wiring harness, and want to buy led halo headlights and tail lights BUT just need to get this timing belt changed before even thinking about all of that lol
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Trav
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse GT/ Silver
traser579 is on a distinguished road
Wow they charge 815 and all this time I've been doing it for 400 I might have to raise my prices LOL. Changing a timing belt is definitely not for the faint of heart but it is possible where there is Will there is way. In order to change the timing belt you most probably will need a really good air compressor and impact wrench and possibly a good pulley puller for the harmonic balancer I think that's the only special tools you need. Possibly you'll also need a breaker bar and a really big socket for the big bolt on your harmonic balancer if you have any questions I can try to help you out I can talk you through it if you really want to do it yourself but you really going to have to have a good compressor and a good impact gun if you can get your hands on that the rest of it is cake. But it's the kind of cake that gives you diarrhea indigestion headaches
traser579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzler View Post
K so after reading through a million Timing Belt posts by searching the threads.. I have come to the conclusion that doing it myself is not a good idea lol

I have called my Mitsubishi dealer and they quoted $850 just to change the timing belt. I am going to call back and get a full quote including water pump, parts and tax.

I called another mechanic and they couldn't find any info, so they had to turn it down.

I would still like documentation if it exists ... if anyone has anything like that, let me know. Thanks Everyone! I want to try to keep the cost reasonable, as I plan on doing a ton of work before the summer on this car. I plan on doing all new performance brakes, rotors, spark plugs and struts (gonna try doing it myself), installing stereo equipment (15" sub, amp, double din touch screen deck) just need the wiring harness, and want to buy led halo headlights and tail lights BUT just need to get this timing belt changed before even thinking about all of that lol
$850 my ass! call around to other mechanics, that's such a rip off. Screw the stealership. I got mine changed for $390. $280 for the labor and $110 for the belt. That is abhorrent
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traser579 View Post
Wow they charge 815 and all this time I've been doing it for 400 I might have to raise my prices LOL. Changing a timing belt is definitely not for the faint of heart but it is possible where there is Will there is way. In order to change the timing belt you most probably will need a really good air compressor and impact wrench and possibly a good pulley puller for the harmonic balancer I think that's the only special tools you need. Possibly you'll also need a breaker bar and a really big socket for the big bolt on your harmonic balancer if you have any questions I can try to help you out I can talk you through it if you really want to do it yourself but you really going to have to have a good compressor and a good impact gun if you can get your hands on that the rest of it is cake. But it's the kind of cake that gives you diarrhea indigestion headaches
LOL that is an awesome explanation of it!
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

K so got an update on this.... got a much better price, I ordered the Belt and Pulley tensioner from Mitshubishi which will be $213 after tax, and found a mechanic that is going to do the work for $179.... they quoted 2.5 hrs.

Mitsubishi said not to bother with the water pump unless its leaking for having an issue, they said it is external so wouldn't save any time by doing it now.

Thanks everyone!
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

dam the dealer was going to rip u off id go to a local dependable mechanic , i got 850 for an synthetic oil change, timing belt, water pump, 2 of the drive belts, break clean, and fixed a leak on one of my trans hoses.

Last edited by 06gt4g; March 16th, 2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gt4g View Post
dam the dealer was going to rip u off id go to a local dependable mechanic , i got 850 for an synthetic oil change, timing belt, water pump, 2 of the drive belts, break clean, and fixed a leak on one of my trans hoses.
Yea eh.... id say... although 179 to change it seems alot better then I expected, does 2.5 hours sound right for a timing belt and pulley tensioner? Any other belts I should replace too? If so, what should I ask for? Going to hold off on the water pump for now...
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well it's probably a good idea to change the timing belt tensioner also but if you can't it's too expensive don't sweat it I guess maybe someone else will chime in and say always change it I don't know for sure all I can say is I'm at a hundred forty-four thousand k with the same tensioner also whoever said 180 bucks to 2 Chainz the timing belt is kinda low did they have a shop did you see the shop do they look professional
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

if I could do a timing belt change in 2 & a half hours MSP pretty good because I've done it on a few different vehicles and some of them it took two and a half hours just to get that harmonic balancer bolt off
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzler View Post
Yea eh.... id say... although 179 to change it seems alot better then I expected, does 2.5 hours sound right for a timing belt and pulley tensioner? Any other belts I should replace too? If so, what should I ask for? Going to hold off on the water pump for now...
you might a well change the drive/serpentine belt too that powers your electric systems as well, it should be alot easier, water pump too if ur buying ur own parts. After that youre all set for another 60k! just keep up with regular maintence too
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: natty
escapefate will become famous soon enough
OK guys, I bought one, dealer said 400$ to install.

Dealer is 70 miles away. Shew. Just had it their for the recall.

Sun and Sound Package.
escapefate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt, change, parts, timing, timing belt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.