Exahust system or Intake system? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: charles
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
06gt4g is on a distinguished road
Exahust system or Intake system?

Which do you think will be more beneficial for a 4g gt performance wise.

A Injen SES1873TT 76mm Cat-back Exhaust System w/ 4" Titanium burnt and rolled tip (incl. Catalytic Converter) ($750)

or

K&N 69-6502TR Air Typhoon Intake ($300)

?

and for those who did one of or both do you have any dyno test sheets or new quarter mile/0-60 times? I want to do just one for now dont want to spend too much yet

Thanks
06gt4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2017, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock. I've got both the Injen CAI and the catback. Butt dyno definitely says I'm making more power, but haven't got any documentation to back that up.

If you go with the Injen catback, be warned that it's extremely loud with headers (RRE at least) and you might have to cut a 1.5" section off the midpipe just to have it fit right.

Last edited by Plain Jane; March 12th, 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ricer

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
Check out local exhaust shops. See what price they'll make you one for. Mine was $180 at a shop here, plus $75 for a muffler and being installed

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 12th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock. I've got both the Injen CAI and the catback. Butt dyno definitely says I'm making more power, but haven't got any documentation to back that up.

If you go with the Injen catback, be warned that it's extremely loud with headers (RRE at least) and you might have to cut a 1.5" section off the midpipe just to have it fit right.

any youtube videos of your injen cat ? i want to see how loud lol and yeah i dont want it to be super loud... planing to keep stock headers for now too.

You sure about kn ? it has the heat shield and uses the existing stock vent to pull in some air. their so called claims are around 10-15 hp on the dyno charts. I dont want to use a cold air intake to push it more down cause it rains alot here.
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Check out local exhaust shops. See what price they'll make you one for. Mine was $180 at a shop here, plus $75 for a muffler and being installed
did u notice any performance gains?
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gt4g View Post
any youtube videos of your injen cat ? i want to see how loud lol and yeah i dont want it to be super loud... planing to keep stock headers for now too.

You sure about kn ? it has the heat shield and uses the existing stock vent to pull in some air. their so called claims are around 10-15 hp on the dyno charts. I dont want to use a cold air intake to push it more down cause it rains alot here.
It rains a lot here too, never had a problem with my CAI, neither did I have any with my older car (also ran an Injen CAI). The K&N SRI is not well sealed from the engine bay air and is located right in front of the fan which only makes things worse. 10-15hp over stock is not realistic imho.

I have videos with the complete header-back and intake

exterior clip
interior clip

Last edited by Plain Jane; March 12th, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ricer

Quote:
did u notice any performance gains?
The butt dyno seems to say I gained top end power, and it feels like it buries the needle a bit quicker.

But I did get a bit of a rougher idle out of it. At low RPM it seems to kick a bit once hot. Different engine than you though

My Build Thread
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It rains a lot here too, never had a problem with my CAI, neither did I have any with my older car (also ran an Injen CAI). The K&N SRI is not well sealed from the engine bay air and is located right in front of the fan which only makes things worse. 10-15hp over stock is not realistic imho.

I have videos with the complete header-back and intake

exterior clip
interior clip

nice, sounds good i might just do catback from injen it doesnt sound too loud

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...T/IMAG0027.jpg
http://injen.com/galleries/products/SP1873_install.jpg
the K&N looks more insulated than the injen though having a protective barier and not much of a difference of placement
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, although the videos don't quite do it justice. It's much louder in person and inside the car.

The link you posted was the Injen CAI, which is neatly tucked away in front of the driver's wheel well and far from any engine heat. K&N is a short ram.
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Vehicle: 2006 GT 6MT
MarionCobretti has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock.
I'm going to dissent from that. The K&N actually has an aluminum heat shield enclosing the filter that makes a sort of airbox. It's fed from the factory "ram air" scoop (can't think of a better name for it). So it really shouldn't be picking up much hot air. It's really not bad. While a different CAI might be better, it does seem to pick up a few HP (and comes with a dyno printout). It also sounds decent.
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, although the videos don't quite do it justice. It's much louder in person and inside the car.

The link you posted was the Injen CAI, which is neatly tucked away in front of the driver's wheel well and far from any engine heat. K&N is a short ram.
Yeah the picture is short ram but its also modifiable to cold too just like injen, i just thought that set up wouldve been more beneficial with the heat sheild blocking the heat and all while using the stock air vent attachment.

I've decided to do injen anyway, looks easier to install and its a dry filter so no rare instances of getting bad sensor readings (not saying K&N does but who knows) and adding the hydro sheild on the injens filter , from what i heard it blocks water, dust, insects, etc which is really good.
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've never run a hydro shield, but it's a good insurance policy to do so. You won't be disappointed with the Injen, below MIVEC it sounds stock, but at and above it really screams.
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Intakes are placebo at best. They do absolutely nothing unless you have other mods + a tune. You'll "feel" more with a catback but its not going to be like INSTANT HELLA POWER as if you slapped on a turbo or something.

Short rams are horrible for our car, no matter what "heat shield" you use. This platform has been around for 12 years and this topic has been beaten to death. It WILL bog your engine down on a GT, pure and simple. It doesn't matter how cool it looks or how many fancy bells and whistles it has. The 6G75 purely runs far too hot for it.

I live in AZ where there can be some pretty bad flooding in the summer, I have a hydro shield on my CAI for extra insurance and people have straight up poured water on them and the intake was fine. I wouldn't worry too much.
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ricer

I've blasted my filter with a power washer while it was running more times than anyone ever should even try to imagine and it's fine. It did stall a couple times though

My Build Thread
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Intakes are placebo at best. They do absolutely nothing unless you have other mods + a tune. You'll "feel" more with a catback but its not going to be like INSTANT HELLA POWER as if you slapped on a turbo or something.

Short rams are horrible for our car, no matter what "heat shield" you use. This platform has been around for 12 years and this topic has been beaten to death. It WILL bog your engine down on a GT, pure and simple. It doesn't matter how cool it looks or how many fancy bells and whistles it has. The 6G75 purely runs far too hot for it.

I live in AZ where there can be some pretty bad flooding in the summer, I have a hydro shield on my CAI for extra insurance and people have straight up poured water on them and the intake was fine. I wouldn't worry too much.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is this the one u got?

if so, what hydrosheild size did u get? i see alot of different sizes and im not too sure the perfect size to buy.

Figured id get mine off of ebay for the hydrosheild later since amazon takes so long to ship
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is this the one u got?

if so, what hydrosheild size did u get? i see alot of different sizes and im not too sure the perfect size to buy.

Figured id get mine off of ebay for the hydrosheild later since amazon takes so long to ship
Yep, thats the one! Heres the hydroshield.

The filter size is x-1015, for future reference. The hydroshield says its for 1034, but it fits the 1015 as well.
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

holy S*4$8 just installed the first half of the injen cold intake and that one bolt holding down the stock intake box was a pain even with my extension wrench. No help from injens instructions. Will install the next half tomorrow morning since its getting dark and starting to rain.

Also those Rubber M6 vibra-mounts were a pain to screw on the thermostat housing had to twist the rubber and was afraid it was going to break cause it was difficult to screw in.

How have you guys installed the bottom half of the Cold air intake? im going to take off the wheel and the plastic cover that someone suggested.

And do we need the vacuum switching plug anymore? cause injen said to unplug that from the stock air box and left no saying of where to plug it anywhere.
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
holy S*4$8 just installed the first half of the injen cold intake and that one bolt holding down the stock intake box was a pain even with my extension wrench. No help from injens instructions. Will install the next half tomorrow morning since its getting dark and starting to rain.

Also those Rubber M6 vibra-mounts were a pain to screw on the thermostat housing had to twist the rubber and was afraid it was going to break cause it was difficult to screw in.

How have you guys installed the bottom half of the Cold air intake? im going to take off the wheel and the plastic cover that someone suggested.

And do we need the vacuum switching plug anymore? cause injen said to unplug that from the stock air box and left no saying of where to plug it anywhere.
Yes, you can just unplug it and let it hang. It doesn't throw any codes or anything.

As for the bottom half, I didn't even remove my wheel. I just turned my wheel inward, took off the splash guard underneath, and the splash guard in the front of the foot well. Its a bit cramped, but not terrible. I did it without jacking my car up (because I didn't have jack stands at the time) so it may be even easier for you if you have jack stands.
Old March 30th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

I just have the stock jack stand that came with it that ill be using its a bit cramp since the pilot super sports is pretty thick for a tire.
Old March 30th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Darren
Vehicle: 13 g37x(now) 06 GT(then)
GotRice? is a jewel in the roughGotRice? is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Yes, you can just unplug it and let it hang. It doesn't throw any codes or anything.

As for the bottom half, I didn't even remove my wheel. I just turned my wheel inward, took off the splash guard underneath, and the splash guard in the front of the foot well. Its a bit cramped, but not terrible. I did it without jacking my car up (because I didn't have jack stands at the time) so it may be even easier for you if you have jack stands.
^ +1

This is exactly how I did it too, it'll be tight and you'll swear a few times but definitely doable.

About the plug, isn't there a cap for it or am I thinking of something different, it's been a while.
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice? View Post
^ +1

This is exactly how I did it too, it'll be tight and you'll swear a few times but definitely doable.

About the plug, isn't there a cap for it or am I thinking of something different, it's been a while.
Cap is for the air line, the actual electrical plug can just hang.
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Finnished installing the injen cai 2 days ago and dam combing it with hackish tune made it scream like no tomorrow during mivec that made me feel like i was deaf for awhile , good choice guys!

Tags
0-60, 4g gt, air, back, burnt, cat, cat-back, catalytic, converter, exhaust, exhaust system, injen, intake, performance, system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.