Buying a new 4G, How do i know the clutch is good? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Albert
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse
afrimpong is on a distinguished road
Post Buying a new 4G, How do i know the clutch is good?

Hi All,

I'm about to purchase a 2006 GT with 110K miles on it. It has some mods like an Injen Cold Air Intake, Aftermarket Exhaust etc, but i'm not sure how to verify that the clutch won't die on me as soon as I pull it off the lot.

I'm only being skeptical because its past 100K miles and I heard thats when clutch service is typically needed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to check the car for quality? I'm new to all this. First 4G
afrimpong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
You'll have to drive it to see. If it shifts smothly into all gears then it'll be fine. Try to find and service history (carfax, run the Vin number, ect.) Also see when the timing belt was last changed as it's 1000 more important than the clutch. If the belt snaps kiss the motor good bye.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Gotcha. I also heard that if the clutch is stiff or the biting/friction point is low to the ground, its a sign of wear, can you verify if that's true? I feel like a super noob right now haha

Old March 18th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: charles
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
06gt4g is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrimpong View Post
Gotcha. I also heard that if the clutch is stiff or the biting/friction point is low to the ground, its a sign of wear, can you verify if that's true? I feel like a super noob right now haha

Its a good car for the money, id ask the dealer to lower the price to justify the cost of the repairs such as timing belt and clutch, its what i did and i got a grand off the total as i paid in full cause he didnt know when the timing belt was last changed
06gt4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrimpong View Post
[EDIT] If it bites high its worn! My eclipse is at 134k, never had a replacement and it finally burned out. 4 different people learned how to drive manual in this thing (including me) that I know of... could even be more. So it was only a matter of time.

How you can test is down shifting at relatively high RPMs. How quickly it can grab will be a good indication. +1 on the timing belt (and water pump while you're at it), super important. I think Charles has an excellent idea. Bring this up to the dealer and it could help you knock the price down a bit.

Always brings a smile to my face to see more people buying manuals. You're going to love this ride, Albert! Hands down the best FWD car imo.

Last edited by Desert Rat; March 30th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gt4g View Post
Its a good car for the money, id ask the dealer to lower the price to justify the cost of the repairs such as timing belt and clutch, its what i did and i got a grand off the total as i paid in full cause he didnt know when the timing belt was last changed
AWESOME tip! Definitely going to bring those up and get him to come down on it!

I'm very excited as well. I can't wait to feel those horses under feet
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Manual GTs are quite rare (or just unpopular). Enjoy it, as it's the only way to truly appreciate a sports car imo. You don't need to complete a shift in 0.02 seconds to have fun!

WTTC
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I bought the car! Loving it so far, just a little paranoid about the engine sound. I'm making a post in the issues forum right now

update: [VIDEO] Rubbing Engine Noise, Small Tick/Knock
Old March 30th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Jon
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS 5M/T
Sunset4G will become famous soon enough
I realize this is late and you already bought the car, but I figured I would chime in. I bought mine and the clutch went out 6 months later. Contrary to what is said, the clutch SHOULD GRAB LOW if it is in good shape. If it grabs way high as you’re letting off the pedal, it is worn. That goes for almost any hydraulically operated clutch. When my clutch went out, it was engaging at around 8 out of 10, with 10 being the pedal released and 1 being on the floor. With the new clutch it grabs at 4.
One way to test a really worn clutch is to stop the car, put it in 2nd and slip the clutch slowly. It should stall. This test only works if you’re clutch is really shot though. Another good test is put in in 4th gear at around 1500 to 2k rpms and floor it. You should feel the engine lug. If the rpms shoot up, clutch is slipping.
For me, my clutch started slipping in 1st at full throttle. At 4k rpm it would slip and shoot to redline. Another good indicator as how well it grabs 2nd. Do a full throttle 6k rpm shift into 2nd, the car should buck hard and the tires should chirp, especially a gt. If it feels like it slips back down (like mine did) then its worn.
If you’re new to driving manual it may be hard to gauge the health of the clutch. It should grab nicely, firmly and consistently. Grabbing low is always better than grabbing high. Eventually the clutch runs out of material and that’s when it starts grabbing high. Other than those stress tests, its hard to gauge the actual life left of a clutch. Driving it normal around the city should last you a while. People even have clutch last thousands of miles as theyre going out by babying them. A clutch will show its slaws when you start pushing it hard. Just my 2 cents.
Sunset4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
You are 100% correct... I think I got it mixed up on my post, my bad!
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
06 gt, 10k, 2006, 2006 gt, advice, aftermarket, air, air intake, buying, car, clutch, cold, cold air, cold air intake, exhaust, good, how to, injen, intake, miles, mods, service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.