I have a question 2011 Eclipse GS won't stay running - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Chiz
Vehicle: 2011/GS/Coupe
Chizzler is on a distinguished road
2011 Eclipse GS won't stay running

K so I've done some reading online but still unsure of what to do to fix this ... basically car starts up fine first try, then puts then dies. Try again, starts then puts and dies. Then third or so time it won't turn over, wait 5 mins and try again and turns over but puts and dies. I took the car off the road after last summer and was running perfectly ... at one point lay December we lost power and was without power for 36 hours, I didn't have a generator but had an inverter.. Ran my eclipse for about 3 hours while connected / powering an jnverter which I had an extension cord ran from to my fridge and freezer so I wouldn't lose my food. Well next time I tried to start it, was when this issue began.. Related? Not sure but want to give full details.

If I start the car in neutral and press the gas, it starts started forever, until I let off the gas. Read on one site that the EGR valve could be dirty but no clue where that is on the eclipse. I want to take it to the garage to get the timing belt changed soon and really dong want to have to pay an arm and leg for a tow. Hoping you guys can help me on some advice on things to check and try before I do a tow. What I have tried with the antifreeze thingy u pour in your tank but that didn't help, today I filled the gas can with winter gas and poured if in but no help.

Appreciate everyone's help on these forums ! Let me know if anyone has any suggestions .. Thanks
Chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Wonder if the alternator is dying because of your inverter problem. Wouldn't help to check the voltage. Just spitballing here trying to get others to jump in for you

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Justin
Vehicle: 08/GS/AUTO
V8GSGoboom is on a distinguished road
this is one that will take a little time to diagnose. the first place i would start is looking for vacuum leaks. turn your engine on, have someone give it gas so it will stay running, raise the hood and listen for hissing noises. a lot of times it will be a dry rotted hose. Since your car wont even run unless given gas it would be hissing if it were a vacuum leak. also your idle control valve may be bad. there really isnt an easy way to test that being as its between the intake manifold and the engine block. however if you can get to it to unplug it and the car stays on while its unplugged, its toast. but if you dont have an engine light its kinda hard to tell what exactly is causing the issue.
V8GSGoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 5th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks big time guys.. haven't tried any of this yet but intend to soon. A snow storm set me back a bit... but finally got it dug out yesterday.. just need to find someone to give me a hand to check it over. I will update this thread with resolution once I get this fixed. I may start a seperate thread... solely on my eclipse and its progress, as I am sure i'll have more questions / issues along the way. I plan on doing alot to this car over the next couple months.
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

K so update on this... still not fixed.

Car has been running without shutting off now, but still putting. Took it for a nice long good drive (15 mins or so) and parked it at the garage that will be doing the timing belt change today and now won't turn over at all. Atleast its at the garage lol .. ill let yous know what they find out. Getting the oil changed as well and also the trunk wont close now to lol oh boy

Just got 4 new tures, performance rotors, brake pads and spark plugs, cant wait to get this thing running good again.
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

K so more bad news on my eclipse rattling under the car which I thought was probably a loose heat shield, turns out to be the catalytic converter they say ugh

Will need a new trunk hatch.

Car started for fhem but they no error code and still trying to find out why it is sputtering. On the bright side they got the timing belt done and oil change, however kind of wish they figured out the sputtering issue first

Car is def taking a blow to the bank account to get up and running I know that :/
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know much about Catalytic converters so did some reading on here in previous threads. No error codes or engine light.... but maybe it is clogged and causing my sputting issue?

The rattling is quite loud and sounds like a peice of metal vibrating or bouncing around.

If I were to buy a new CAT, what would be my best option for a guy in Canada? Checked rock auto and they have 4 options, around 450 plus tax and shipping... havent checked the stealership or the garage yet but going to stop in and talk to them soon.
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage cant figure out the sputtering, leaning towards a clogged catalyic converter.... but need your guys help. Mits want $1800 for this part, Car quest doesnt have anything, Napa is $700 but RockAuto is giving me the best price at $450 to $550 or so... see below...

EASTERN CATALYTIC 40900 Manifold Converter; ECO III Info
Front; (Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions)

CAD$394.96
DORMAN 674619 {#1555A084, 1555A085} Manifold Converter Info

Previous Image

Next Image
CAD$463.42
WALKER 16573 Includes Gasket; Ultra Manifold Converter Info
(Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions)

CAD$469.99
DAVICO MANUFACTURING 57134 Manifold Converter Info
Front; (Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions)

Previous Image

Next Image
CAD$486.07

Any feedback or recommendations plz?

Any reason not to go with the cheapest? When I check out it says I should change the 02 sensors too?

Last edited by Chizzler; April 19th, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GSGoboom View Post
this is one that will take a little time to diagnose. the first place i would start is looking for vacuum leaks. turn your engine on, have someone give it gas so it will stay running, raise the hood and listen for hissing noises. a lot of times it will be a dry rotted hose. Since your car wont even run unless given gas it would be hissing if it were a vacuum leak. also your idle control valve may be bad. there really isnt an easy way to test that being as its between the intake manifold and the engine block. however if you can get to it to unplug it and the car stays on while its unplugged, its toast. but if you dont have an engine light its kinda hard to tell what exactly is causing the issue.
Hey... Took it to a garage and they checked it over, checked all the hoses and the value. They replaced the timing belt a week ago and have not been able to figure it out since. They said I will have to take it to the dealership. Called the dealership and they do have a special tool or something that they can hook up to it. Thanks for your input.. really wish it was one of the above.... praying it is not the head gasket.. could it be that? Ugh

Tags
2011, 2011 eclipse, advice, belt, car, dies, eclipse, eclipse gs, egr, fix, food, gas, inverter, issue, power, road, suggestions, summer, timing, timing belt, turn over, valve, wait, what to do, winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.