Headers and california regulations - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: charles
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
06gt4g is on a distinguished road
Headers and california regulations

I searched that OBX and RRE headers wont pass in california, what about RIPP? However, all i can find are OBX though.

Have any of you that live in California manage to pass an inspection with headers on? I know some shops in my state dont even check anything but our lights and blinkers.... Hopefully i can find some mechanics when i move to cali that will look the other way.

As of now i know injens cai passes, not sure about their exhaust though?

I just want to get full bolt ons by the end of the year
06gt4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
No all mods are illegal in CA

Last edited by DR3; April 16th, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
You might have a harder time finding headers than getting them to pass inspection. RIPPs and their knock-offs (OBX) have long been discontinued, same goes for the RRE shorties. Best thing you can do is start emailing those companies or check the used parts section and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Old April 14th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
You might have a harder time finding headers than getting them to pass inspection. RIPPs and their knock-offs (OBX) have long been discontinued, same goes for the RRE shorties. Best thing you can do is start emailing those companies or check the used parts section and hope for the best.

Good luck.
I didnt find RR shorties or RIPPs but i found a few OBX ones on ebay,amazon and individual sites, thinking about headers cause its cheaper and from what i seen it puts out more HP than a full exahust replacement
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

anybody from california have injens or magnaflows entire exahust system? trying to see if its legal, i cant find anything, all i know is that injens intake is ok
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3 View Post
No all mods are illegal in CA
Things like the DC Sports CAI are CARB approved. Not sure if the Injen intake is, but it likely will say in the ad

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

injen intake system has a carb number and is approved for our cars, but it doesnt say anything for their exahust system
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Headers that remove cats, which are an emissions system, are banned. Catback exhausts are iffy. Some have cats still, some don't. Some have approved cats, some don't. If you found a shop that will ignore that it's a non standard cat on one that has it, you'll be fine. But you'll need to find a shop that'll do that.

In Ontario that would be simple, not sure how it is there

My Build Thread
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
You'll pass with full cat-back, but power results are negligible w/o doing headers, which will absolutely not pass smog inspection in CA. I did he RRE axle back and AEM intake at RRE, as the muffler is much more restrictive than the stock piping. I've passed inspection no problem with this set up. Unless you plan on a dedicated track car, that's the best you're gonna do in CA unless you can replace the headers every 2 years, which I was not willing to do.
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Injen SES catback has a smaller "high flow" cat on it, which I can see how it might fail a particularly strict inspection. Don't know how effective the 3rd cat is at cleaning the exhaust gases, but I can't imagine the Injen one is doing that much.
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwings View Post
You'll pass with full cat-back, but power results are negligible w/o doing headers, which will absolutely not pass smog inspection in CA. I did he RRE axle back and AEM intake at RRE, as the muffler is much more restrictive than the stock piping. I've passed inspection no problem with this set up. Unless you plan on a dedicated track car, that's the best you're gonna do in CA unless you can replace the headers every 2 years, which I was not willing to do.
Cool thanks, I think ill be changing it after i do a smog inspection when i head over. I dont mind replacing it every 2 years. I'm going to try to email injen and mangnaflow and see what they say then post a update.
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Injen SES catback has a smaller "high flow" cat on it, which I can see how it might fail a particularly strict inspection. Don't know how effective the 3rd cat is at cleaning the exhaust gases, but I can't imagine the Injen one is doing that much.
It changes the exhaust from smelling sweet to smelling like soot (OEM, at least, on a GS). No cats smells pretty bad

My Build Thread

Tags
blinkers, bolt, bolt ons, cai, california, exhaust, headers, lights, live, move, obx, ripp, rre, rre headers, shops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.