Has anyone actually installed an O2 spacer on that rear bank 1 sensor for P0421 code? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT - factory
cllamont is on a distinguished road
Has anyone actually installed an O2 spacer on that rear bank 1 sensor for P0421 code?

I have a factory 06 GT and I just want to try to get past emissions. THe P0421 is popping every day and a half know. I have been driving with it for almost 2 years with no visible performance issues. Tried the disconnect of the battery cable to clear the code but it is not going to stay off long enough to allow the monitors to reset - I was turned away from inspection because I did this right before I took it in for the scan.

I want to try the spacer trick but I cant reach that sensor - which was replaced by the dealer about 3 - 4 years ago. I dont have the capacity to be drilling spark plug non-foulers. I thought I would try to get some actually spacers and install myself. Just seems to be a tough job for a novice and I havent seen anyone actually do it - just talk about it.
cllamont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Lancer Ralliart
CrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the roughCrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the rough
if you need to pass an emissions test, spacers are probably not permitted maybe illegal. you'll need to replace the sensor... it could be the catalytic converter...what do your spark plugs look like?
CrAnSwIcK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Silver Behemoth

Name: Masyn
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT Spyder
Masyn is on a distinguished road
I did. It worked for a while, passed for an inspection but is now throwing p0420. Haha
Masyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masyn View Post
I did. It worked for a while, passed for an inspection but is now throwing p0420. Haha
Can you tell me how you did it? I dont know how to reach that sensor to remove it. I also dont know where to find a factory made spacer.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK View Post
if you need to pass an emissions test, spacers are probably not permitted maybe illegal. you'll need to replace the sensor... it could be the catalytic converter...what do your spark plugs look like?
I had new plugs installed last year - or at least that is what I am told. I really cant know since I cant access them. THe sensor - the hardest one to reach way down there after the cat on the back of the engine - was replaced by the dealer about 4 years ago. The rest are original with 110K miles. I want to believe it may just be a sensor since the car has run well with the P0421 code popping up every 2 days (sometimes I clear it) for 2 years. I do notice a rattling sound when on a cold start that goes away after a few seconds - I think that is the cat.

Should I risk trying to replace the O2 sensor to see if that makes it any better?
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Lancer Ralliart
CrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the roughCrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the rough
yeah, and why can't you access the spark plugs? I've never worked on the 3.8, so I don't know.
CrAnSwIcK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK View Post
yeah, and why can't you access the spark plugs? I've never worked on the 3.8, so I don't know.
3 plugs are underneath and require some serious work (serious for my level of expertise) to reach.

Spark Plug Replacement on 2006-2012 4th Generation Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - YouTube
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Silver Behemoth

You need a 02 sensor socket and a half inch ratchet. The spark plug nonfouler you get from oreilly, i cant remember what its called though. Ill put a picture of it up though. Take a half inch drill bit and drill through the holein the nonfouler and install. Put some antiseize on it too so it wont forever be attached to your sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00294.jpg (45.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00295.jpg (46.7 KB, 26 views)
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masyn View Post
You need a 02 sensor socket and a half inch ratchet. The spark plug nonfouler you get from oreilly, i cant remember what its called though. Ill put a picture of it up though. Take a half inch drill bit and drill through the holein the nonfouler and install. Put some antiseize on it too so it wont forever be attached to your sensor.
THanks - that part I understand. It is getting to that rear downstream sensor that I can not figure out. It is way down there and it doesnt seem like a long bar with the socket would be possible. I heard someone mention taking the front passenger wheel off to access it but I dont know about that either.

So did this spacer work to eliminate your P0421 - even temporarily? I have to pass emissions and I cant afford a real mechanic or a new car.
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

HOw many Cats and sensors in the GT?

I am thinking 2 cats and 4 sensors. Is there a third cat somewhere?
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Silver Behemoth

I just took a half inch ratchet with the 02 sensor socket from the top. You might press your hand on the fan a little but its possible
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Silver Behemoth

There is more than 2 cats but only 2 cats are read. Bank 2 would suck to get to. If i get a chance, ill take a picture or two wednesday when i redo mine. My inspection is out but now im reading the opposite xD
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
The 2006 is famous for burning out the rear pre-cat. Someone put a post on here were Mitsu has extended the warrenty for our cats. I think he said it's 120,000 miles or ten-years. So talk to a Mitsu Dealership and have them replace the cat and reflash the ECU so it will stop burning out cats.

Catalatic Converter Warranty Extended

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Last edited by Clovisman; June 9th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovisman View Post
The 2006 is famous for burning out the rear pre-cat. Someone put a post on here were Mitsu has extended the warrenty for our cats. I think he said it's 120,000 miles or ten-years. So talk to a Mitsu Dealership and have them replace the cat and reflash the ECU so it will stop burning out cats.

Catalatic Converter Warranty Extended
Unless this happened in the last few weeks, this extension is only for cars purchased in certain states since emission laws vary from state to state. This is what Mitsubishi told me 2 months ago when I called HQ to complain about the fact that I could not get the repair while other owners could.
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllamont View Post
Unless this happened in the last few weeks, this extension is only for cars purchased in certain states since emission laws vary from state to state. This is what Mitsubishi told me 2 months ago when I called HQ to complain about the fact that I could not get the repair while other owners could.
I didn't figure that in, well it's worth trying at least.

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Luk
Vehicle: 2007/4G/4G69
luk76 is on a distinguished road
this spacers will solve cat code problem:
luk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Masa
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
ModgePodge is on a distinguished road
The extension is technically for cars that are registered in certain states, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
ModgePodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
06 gt, battery, clear, code, day, drilling, factory, install, issues, long, performance, rear, reset, sensor, spacer, spacers, spark, spark plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.