I have a question Mysterious Button under My dash - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2012 Mitz Eclipse GT
wingclip is on a distinguished road
Mysterious Button under My dash

Hi Folks,
I bought a brand-new, ‘fully loaded’, 2012 Eclipse GT near the end of 2012, (traded in my 2009 GT for it). It's in pristine condition with less than 5500 miles, (I use my wife’s Jeep for vacations and such).

However, it was only this morning that I discovered a mysterious ‘enclosure’ with a push button located under the dash, (at the very edge of it).

It's to the right of the engine hood release and left of the steering wheel ‘center line’ and as I said, all the way down under the dash.

The button's enclosure is screwed on, about 2 inches long and 1 ¼ wide. It’s about ½ inch thick and the front of it has a plastic 'grill-like' appearance.

At first I thought the grill may be a dust cap for a 'tablet recharge port' but I wasn't able to pop it off if it was.

It was while I was trying to pull the 'grill-like' cap off, that I found a push-button which was flush with the bottom of this enclosure, (for lack of a better name). I’m sure the dealer told me what it was in the “post-purchase tour” but if he did, it was almost 3 years ago and I’ve forgotten.

I can’t seem to find anything on it in the User Manual but then, I don’t know what to call it. It’s not pictured in the interior layout images either.

Anyone know what it may be? Perhaps a remote control for a garage door?
Thanks,
Rich
wingclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
eosrebel has a spectacular aura about
Can you post a picture of it so we can take a look?
eosrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Yes, it'll be a little while before I can but I'll try to get it before 2PM CST
Rich
PS, I'm going to try to get it right now if I can get out for a moment, so you may see it sooner

Old August 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Here they are:
(If I did this right... I didn't have much time for a more careful reading of the instructions):

Old August 17th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member!

Name: Trevor
Vehicle: 07 Spyder GS6; AP1 s2000
trevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to behold
Highly doubt that is a stock option.... does it pop the trunk when you press it? Looks like two buttons....

Who's selling their 4G next
Boosted V6 Swap, Ross Pistons 9:1 compression, H-beam Forged Rods, Comp Cams Valve Springs, Ripp Mods SDS Vortech V5G Stage II @ 8psi.
trevroar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevroar View Post
Highly doubt that is a stock option.... does it pop the trunk when you press it? Looks like two buttons....
Where do you see the second button?

The car was brand new and had 17 miles on it , (dealer mileage for test drives, etc.). That said, I can believe it may have something to do with Sirius, or some "apple product", (God, I hope not).

Maybe some optional equipment's installation from another manufacturer. However, I think the question you have about the truck is the most likely!

I've always opened the truck with the button on the key or the release on the truck itself.

I can't get out there to check but I'll do that asap and post the results.
Thanks,
Rich
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Name: Alonzo
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
LonzBera has a spectacular aura about
Can you follow those wires?

At the dealership I work at, new car sales sometimes takes a car and adds aftermarket accessories to it. I've seen new cars with aftermarket buttons/switches that turn on, usually, some accent LED's or something inside or outside the car.

LonzBera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

I'll check into that when I can get out there. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get myself turned around and upside down to follow the wires much more than a few inches.

I'll probably take some shots of it and hope the camera can focus it well enough to make out what's what.
Thanks,
Rich
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

BTW; the fact that the color of the dash and button enclosure match so well seems to indicate a Mitsubishi option.

But perhaps in an agreement with another manufacturer like Sirius or something.
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Michael
eosrebel has a spectacular aura about
The thing is though that if it was a legit Mitsu option it would have an actual place the button would go instead of being screwed in like that. For example, my car didn't come with fog lights but the location for the oem switch was still there and covered by a blank.
eosrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

@eosrebel:
I have to agree that it's strange because as you said, it's not incorporated in the dash with the other buttons and switches.

I may have to call the dealer on this one, (even though it's been almost 3 years). I'm beginning to think this is some sort of button that they, themselves have installed. Maybe for use with a statistic computer to help out the mechanics?

It was the last 2012 GT on the lot. In fact, I got it for a great price because I wasn't looking for a 'loaded' GT.

In addition, I didn't like the color, (had a really nice 2009 in jet black), and the 2012 was silver. So I was not really going for it and when I told them I'll look around for another one in one of the colors I could accept.

They jumped all over their computers and found that the nearest 2012 GT other than this one was in Arkansas! Of course I didn't believe them and we agreed to take theirs home for lunch and return the next day.

They were trying to meet their quota of course, and because the 2012 was the last Eclipse, I really didn't want to by a pre-owned. Anyway, they were actually telling the truth about the nearest 2012 GT to Houston TX, it was in Arkansas!

Of course, my wife and I decided we'd buy the one they were selling but we planned to drive a hard bargain by using the color of the car as a 'deal-breaker' lol.

We got the car, a 2012 GT Coupe w/3.8L 6V, fully loaded, for about 25K! I couldn't walk from that deal and I got 12K for the 2009 I traded in, (had very low mileage).

BTW:
I tried the button a number of ways and searched for a response in each attempt. I mean, I held it down for something like 10 seconds, I tried pushing it 3 times in quick succession, I tried it with the engine running and the engine of, ydda, yadda, yadda.

I agree with both of you at this point; this is an aftermarket thing and likely something to hat the dealers would implement, I just don't know what. I'll probably try all the button-pushing sequences again later when It's dark.

@ LonzBera: I followed the wires by 'feel' and they go up and into the harness that seems to be part of the ignition system, but I'm not a 100% on that.
Rich
Old August 17th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Gabriel
gabrielmvelaz is on a distinguished road
I am so curious to find out what that button does, keep us posted =)
gabrielmvelaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
And most dealerships wouldn't use button splices to do the wiring, it would be soldered in, that's real odd
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Fuck You
stixs is on a distinguished road
This is such a mystery. You have fog lights? I noticed you have no switch? Maybe a fog light switch???

Last edited by stixs; August 19th, 2015 at 05:15 AM.
stixs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Stas
Vehicle: 2010 Galant9G 4G69MIVEC
stayer is a jewel in the roughstayer is a jewel in the rough
))))))))))))))))
- What is this button?
- A true warrior will always want to know what this mysterious button...

...Zorg(Gary Oldman) The fifth element.
stayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Put wife/girl friend in right seat, drive 60+ mph, press button, you right seat should eject, you now have ex-wife, or ex-girl friend... works with fiancée's also.

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Name: Alonzo
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
LonzBera has a spectacular aura about
Ejecto seato cuz.

LonzBera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: justin
Vehicle: 2008 mitsu eclipse gs
Jtizzle is on a distinguished road
Guess we will never know! I'm for the seat eject!
2008 eclipse gs, DC sports cold air intake, Road Race Engineering pulley, Tanabe Swaybar, Tanabe Strut bar,Dark tinted Windows, RPM custom CAT back exhaust, Green Halos, and eyelids in the mail. , Megan Racing springs lowered 1.6". Back seat delete tire and tools removed.
Jtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
resident crossplatformer

Name: -
Vehicle: 1999 Galant
fox_brand is a jewel in the roughfox_brand is a jewel in the rough
That weirdly looks like a digital video output with a cover over it
fox_brand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
resident crossplatformer

Name: -
Vehicle: 1999 Galant
fox_brand is a jewel in the roughfox_brand is a jewel in the rough
What happens when you press it?
fox_brand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Dan
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT/3.8L V6
danikorea is on a distinguished road
Was this person murdered by the dealers while trying to solve this mystery? Any updates? has two buttons I see, but can't seem to guess what it may be with all my car/policeish knowledge. Lojack doesn't look like that most of the time as well. hmmmm,.,,,,,,,,,uggghhh so curious!!!!!

Last edited by danikorea; April 17th, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
danikorea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
The mystery lives on through a 1.5 year thread bump. It looks like it's only a single function, perhaps both need to be pressed at once. Just going by the lack of a 3rd/4th wire. But that's a head scratcher. Not OEM though. Unlike the earlier post mentioning how well it blends... It doesn't. Lol

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Hi folks,
NOPE! I still don't know what it does but I can't be sure that I've ever tried pressing both at the same time. Maybe try releasing them immediately, or holding them down for an X number of seconds...?

A thought had occurred to me to press one while simultaneously starting the car but I'm afraid that I'd put it into some mode for which there is no exit. Could it be for a retractable roof like a Spyder would have?

My Eclipse is 2012 and fully loaded, (including sun roof). I wonder if I press and hold one of the buttons and operate the sunroof, what might happen... I all but forgot about it until my wife asked me about it again about 5 days ago...
Rich
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Dan
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT/3.8L V6
danikorea is on a distinguished road
Hey! you are still here! and I can't believe after these years you STILL don't know what it is!!! hahahaha!

Did you call the dealers? Please solve this mystery for us!
danikorea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

No, I haven't gone to the point of taking it to the dealership... yet. The car now has about 8,000 miles on it. Of course, I don't have to tell you how good the engine is and that means it doesn't get to the dealership much.

I’m leaving on Sunday for a short photo/fishing trip, (get back on Wednesday). In between now and Sunday, I’ve got a lot of things to prepare. In addition, I just bought a new camera, (Nikon D4S), and the many of the camera’s functions aren’t quite as similar to my other camera, (Nikon D2X), as I had hoped.

The D4S manual is 500 pages long and I have to ‘digest’ at least half of it before I leave. So I’m not going to have any time to try anything with the Eclipse until a week or two after I get back.

I can promise you this; if I find out what it is, this is THE FIRST place I’ll post the solution!
Thanks,
Rich
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Undertaker
Vehicle: 2011 GS 5MT
undertaker is on a distinguished road
nice car btw. I'd been searching on cars.com and there were no 2012 GT for sale for a couple years now...the dealer you bought from would probably know what the button does cause they were the one installed it..
undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT 6speed
skysky has a spectacular aura about
I picked up my miata 3rd hand. I had a little red button screwed in under the dash but it didn't do anything. It was for the aftermarket car alarm installed by the previous owner. I uninstalled that tangle this last summer. If the button doesn't do anything and there isn't a mess you can just leave it If you really want to know, we could figure out what wire its spliced into and where that runs.
Injen intake, RRE short tube headers, Injen exhaust, Outlaw Engineering spacers, Quaife LSD, CM fx350 with steel FW, ViS CF OEM hood, XXR 527 wheels, Conti. Extr. Cont. DW 245/45/18 tires, Progress sway bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts and suspension bushings, RRE shifter bushings, Tanabe strut brace, MR coilovers, AEM FIC.
skysky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #28 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Vehicle: 2006 Eclpise GS
fhadso will become famous soon enough
What are the wires connected to?
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
My thought is aftermarket lights of some sort either fogs or interior leds but the dealer or the person removed them leaving behind the button maybe even some wiring .
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Hey Folks,
Just a 'refresher' about this car because this thread is long and you all would have had
to read the very first post to know: My car is a brand new, 2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. It had 50 miles, (I think it was exactly 53.2), when I drove it from the dealership after the TT&L was paid.

HOWEVER: My wife reminded me that the actual miles BEFORE I paid TT&L was something like "32." or "34.x". The dealer let me have it while my 2009 Mitz Eclipse GT was being serviced. Of course, I bought it a few days later.

So I put the additional 20 miles on it before I bought it. Therefore, the TT&L paperwork will reflect 52.x miles at the close of the sale. So fog lights are unlikely, and besides, the car has its own fog lights from the manufacturer.

What ever those two buttons do, they either don't do it any more or, could it be possible that this was a car meant to have a "Lo-jack" system as a demo? Someone on this thread, recently said they were in law enforcement and thought it may have been a Lo-jack. Then he said the buttons didn't look those he's seen.

Could it have been some kind of dealership theft detection device? Then maybe it was removed when the new models (2013's but no Eclipses of course), started getting to the dealership and transferred to another car?

I really don't know what they do and I'd have to look at it again because if I recall, the wires appeared to be professionally bundled with the ignition harness.

I was installing a radar detector, (an expensive, Cobra with remote controls... works good, though), and as I ran the wires to a fuse box, I saw this nutty switch-box.

As I said, I'm prepping for a trip right now so I won't be messing with this until after I get back, but I certainly will update as I proceed through the search.

The dealership may know but I don't think the same sales and tech/mechanic managers are there anymore. However, I suppose they could be so I think the suggestion to check with them is my best shot, at least to start with.
Thanks,
Rich
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

Least its not one of those dont push this button situations, im used to my 07 forgot the 12 came with them lol itd be crazy if it actually did something crazy lile this tv show I saw back years ago a guy bought a car and was getting crazy mpg called the dealer to ask why this is and one day saw two guys in black suits removing parts off his car hood raised lol old show forget the name of but would be crazy if it was something that helped just you never did the button in the right sequence to work like a prototype thing. Just a wild theory if it doesnt come back as known of what it is when you get time. Shoot least it runs thats the important part.
Old April 19th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeynbandit View Post
...Shoot least it runs thats the important part.
Definitely runs! LOL, It hasn't got many miles on it, but the ones it does have, it did 'really quick'
Rich
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Name: Gerry
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS
Rezz is on a distinguished road
Lol I love how this is still a mystery. We need some kind of Button Sherlock Holmes!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Rezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:49 PM   #34 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Vehicle: 2006 Eclpise GS
fhadso will become famous soon enough
Perhaps it's just button for a no-longer-there remote start. I know that most remote start systems (at least the good ones) have an option to wire one in, and would perform various functions like valet, leave running for __ minutes, etc. I would check and see if you have a wire running up the A pillar, as that would most likely be for the remote start antenna. In that case, it seems you have a "brain" but no hardware. You could see if there's a model number of some sort on the box that all those wires are running to and go from there.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Well folks,
I called the Mitsubishi dealership I bought my car from and tried to ask about those buttons via telephone. As I guessed, no one knew what I was talking about and I wound up being put on hold, transferred, explaining everything from the beginning, (literally having to start with "I bought this car from you, brand new, near the end on 2012..."), and then being put on hold, transferred, and yada, yada, yada.

No kidding, I permitted that cycle to complete itself 4 times at about 10 to 15 minutes per 'cycle'. That was all I could stand of that and as I said, I pretty much nailed it when I guessed that would play out exactly the way it did.

OK, so we're about to replace my wife's Jeep liberty with a new model and the dealerships we'll be going to in the next week or so, will be all near the Mitz dealership. I may stop in and try asking the same question in a face to face approach.

Even if I do, I'm probably not going to show up with the car because the Jeep is what we're going to trade in. All I can hope for is finding the 'top-man' in charge of all the vehicle tech and electronics options.

If I find him, then I can make an appointment to see him with the car, (assuming he doesn't know what the button is based on my pics and description). I'll update this thread as soon as I have something to report, one way or the other.

There are are few guesses out there, (like a remote starter enable or disable button?), that sound as good as any possibilities I can think of. I'll try to get new pictures from different angles, (with a wider lens).

However, the pics I've posted already show that there are no wires going up the column, only down and they sure don't appear to be aftermarket. Then, I don't see how anything in the car could be aftermarket.

I bought the car new and it had 35 miles on it when I took it home to "try it out for the weekend". When I brought it back, I bought it and at that point, it had about 50 miles on the OD, (15 of which was my weekend 'test drive').

I won't say it's impossible that it's an aftermarket gizmo but it's hard to figure out the "why's & how's" to that theory.
Thanks,
Rich
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #36 (permalink)

Name: Carter
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
MrRalliart09 is on a distinguished road
Was it ever tested as a push to start? ie turn key to 2 and press the button? i just came across this discussion and now im dying to know lol
MrRalliart09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

We all are curious lol one of the biggest mysterious things on here
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #38 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to behold
I wanted to say aftermarket remote starter as well but it may be his 1st guess...

Possibly the older version of this... ( garage door opener)
https://www.mkey.com.au/garage-door-...CONVERSION-KIT
(notice the "newer version" smaller and lighter...2 wires.. a remote start would have more wires...)

follow the wire and you should find the box with the "learn" button on it. (to program other remotes to it)

Last edited by ryguy; May 26th, 2017 at 07:18 PM.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
09 gt, 2009, 2009 gt, 2012, brand, button, dash, door, eclipse, eclipse gt, edge, engine, flush, front, grill, hood, interior, long, manual, miles, pop, release, remote, steering wheel, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.