Car is down but maybe not out - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Larry
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse SE
Inspector71 is on a distinguished road
Car is down but maybe not out

As posted, my daughter totaled her birthday present, a pristine black 07 Eclipse SE. The insurance company totaled it saying it would cost $6700 to fix and it was worth $8400. She was pulling out from school and I was at work. It was towed by ABC Tow who would not allow me to even see the car until towing and storage charges were paid. They or the next tow service lost her key on a long lanyard loop with her student ID. I finally saw the car. Needs a hood, front bumper cover, the metal bumper behind the cover, headlights, and maybe the left front fender. I started and ran the car. It made a "rubbing" sound but no leaks. The adjuster said the radiator had to be replaced. It was not touched at all. He said the same about the AC unit and plumbing, again, not even touched. He said the wheel was broken, nope, flat tire. They even list the left door and rocker panel...NO DAMAGE.
I disputed with but got no where with them. I ended up buying the car back for $625. It is in my garage now. Insurance will pay up to $8200 and I owe $9200. I have gap insurance. I am retiring this May and was going to use my $5K check for sick leave etc to go on vacation. I figure this is more important and bet I can get it fixed for a lot less than $6700. I won't have a car payment. This was my daughter's first car, her pride and joy, her baby. As she stood looking at the car sitting in the salvage yard, she began to cry and said, "I killed my car, I killed my car..." At that point, vacation money no longer mattered.

Okay, I tried to copy and paste with no luck. Technology and me are not on good terms. If anyone wants to see the pictures, you'd have to walk me through how to copy them from word or the pictures and paste them here. I gave up.

Last edited by Inspector71; February 25th, 2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: I have pictures saved in word and the laptop's pictures but don't know how to attach them (I am no techi)
Inspector71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Name: Alonzo
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
LonzBera has a spectacular aura about
Hopefully it works out!

You can upload them to your account on here, & then insert them into the post, or you can use photobucket or Flickr to upload the pictures & then post them on here. If you have them saved on your computer you can go to your profile. Create an album, then upload them to the album.

LonzBera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Vehicle: 2006 GT 6MT
MarionCobretti has a spectacular aura about
Or, even easier, just add them as attachments. If you click the Post Reply button (instead of using quick reply), it will take you to a page with some more options. If you scroll down past the box where you type your reply, you'll see a button that says "Manage Attachments." Click it an a new window will pop up. It will have five buttons labeled "Browse" that will let you add up to five pictures. So click the first Browse (which opens a file explorer), go to your first picture, and then double click it. Lather, rinse, and repeat for the other pictures, then click the "Upload" button on the right. Give them a few seconds to upload and they should show up under "Current Attachments." You can then close that second window, and when you type and submit your reply, the pictures you uploaded will be attached.

Also, good luck getting the Eclipse resurrected. It sounds like you and your daughter have an attachment to it.
MarionCobretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 25th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, not sure where they are

how do I find the pics? I'm from the 20th century so flickers and spit buckets or whatever are all new to me

I am one of those crazy people who does not believe in "parts cars," they can all be saved (if you saw some of the stuff in my garage, you'd know I practice what I preach). Anyway, I saw nothing wrong with the door, kick panel, radiator, etc. I asked how State Farm came up with $6700 and received an ambiguous, "we enter all the parts that need fixed/replaced into some system calculator...

On to the dealer to see what GAP insurance can do for me. Thanks with the help on the pics. I would never have figured it out on my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mit1.jpg (37.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg mit2.jpg (34.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg mit3.jpg (23.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg mit4.jpg (20.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Inspector71; February 25th, 2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: They appeared like magic
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
I am one of those crazy people who does not believe in "parts cars," they can all be saved (if you saw some of the stuff in my garage, you'd know I practice what I preach).
Sounds like you know what you're doing, and that really doesn't look that bad...seems it just tore off the bumper and headlights and tweaked the hood, but didn't touch anything mechanical. You might be able to get the needed parts relatively cheaply if you can find a junkyard Eclipse that died from being rear-ended. This is the closest I can find, and while the bumper will need some rattle-can or paint shop love, the hood looks good to go! Might be worth giving them a call.

Also since so many dudes around here replace their stock headlights with aftermarket halo lights, you might be able to find a set of OEM ones here if the junkyard route doesn't pan out. Might want to register for the 4G Facebook group (or have your daughter register, I get the impression you're not that into social media) and put out a feeler for a set of OEM headlights there, too, since I think that's more heavily trafficked than these forums.
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also, even though that doesn't look that bad, it still made me cringe, since it looks so much like my car. I'm going to go hug it now!
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ricer

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
If it didn't touch the wheels, and everything under the hood was left unscathed, you really shouldn't have to put $6700 into it. Sounds like you'll have some left over cash. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I had imagined

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I owe all of you

Thanks for responding. My initial response was, oh well, my daughter crashed her first car. We were in the process of looking at minor mods (cat back exhaust, maybe header pipe, nothing too radical) and this happened. She cried her eyes out. When I finally was "allowed" to see the car, I thought it was not so bad. I am restoring (learning as I go) an old car and have seen and replaced worse. It just stuck in my craw, this car does not have to be scrapped, it can be fixed, but no one was listening at the insurance company and bank. We will save her yet. True, not into social media, time and other concerns so I really appreciate the help.
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Hey if anything this can be a father daughter project that way her car will be brought back to life beter than ever. It should help her get over that shock she had.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

One big snag

the front frame rails are bent. I am trying to find diagrams to see if it is part of the engine cradle or rails that go under the car. The one on the right is bent enough it is touching the fan belt...ouch. The other one is bent a bit more. As long as this can be fixed I'll stick with the program. I imagine it will cost a bit more though. The rest of the car looks new. I am taking one wheel to goodyear to see if there is anything wrong with it. I'll keep you posted.

I did a google search for diagrams of the frame, pictures, and came up empty. No luck so far. I wanted to see exactly what and where the bent pieces go to give me some idea how much this is going to cost.

Last edited by Inspector71; February 29th, 2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Okay, I tried...
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Mike Marti
Vehicle: 2007 / GS
Mvader is on a distinguished road
might have the frame checked after you do all the body replacing, it don't look that bad but at the same time, it don't take much to schooch the sub frames a little, but then again i'm not a frame expert lol hope you get it fixed.
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mvader

Thanks. I plan to have it done this summer. I am retiring and when I cash out my personal days off, I should have enough to get this done. I had planned on a vacation back east. Oh well.

Tags
07 eclipse, back, black, broken, bumper, car, door, eclipse, eclipse se, fix, flat, front bumper, headlights, hood, money, payment, radiator, school, service, sick, sound, tire, uni, wheel, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.