Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
7K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  07clipse 
#1 ·
Just got my header. Any body got a write up for the install? Ive been told It will be within my noob skills but i still need to know what i have to to to install it?
Is it just the straight forward take off the old one and put on the new one? do i need any new bolts other than the stock ones?
I did do a search and didnt find the answers to any of these questions.
Help a nub out??

#31 ·
you only need 2 spacers though :D, also all the info you should need right here

#32 ·
Could you post a sound clip of the car? I'm interested in hearing it with the axleback instead of all the videos of header/intake/catback on here.

#34 ·
I know it's going to be loud but I'm just wondering how the headers sound with an axleback vs catback. He said it sounds deeper and not ricey. I've heard a few header/intake/catback clips and they just sound ricey at high rev.

#37 · (Edited)
probably - did you put in the o2 spacers? can you check for codes? post if so

edit:
man the more I hear the more I think that those spacers aren't as good as doing the spark plug defouler thing - i think the defoulers have a smaller hole and that seems to make the difference - I am speculating though, but the RIPP spacers I was sent have a much larger hole for the o2 sensor to absorb exhaust or whatever

#38 ·
the spark plug defouler thing [/QUOTE said:
:scratch: perhaps an elaboration could be provided? i will look into it also :bigthumb:

#39 · (Edited)
^ok figured most you guys mostly knew about this - but here it is:

INSTEAD of using spacers from RRE or RIPP or anywhere - use 'spark plug defoulers' I had never even heard of them but they knew exactly what I was asking for at autozone.

Need: 1/2" Drill Bit
Drill
X4 18mm Spark plug defoulers
wrench for o2 sensors
*vice recommended to hold pieces for drilling

Make sure you have cleared your 'service engine soon' light. You can always disconnect the bat to do this if you don't have a code reader.

1) Drill out 2 of the defoulers w/ the 1/2 in drill bit. (probably want to use a vice to hold it - this enlarges the hole so the o2 sensor can fit through it)
2) Screw each of the drilled out ones into one of the remaining non-drilled out ones. so you have one screwed into the other - they will look kind of like the spacers...
3) Take out your o2 sensors from your pipe (remove from old spacers if you have them)
4) CLEAN them off w/ a dry rag - remove fuel residue from sensor face
5) Screw in o2 sensors into the new 'spacers' you have created w/ the defoulers
6) re-attache to your pipe.

The smaller hole on the defoulers (big enough for a spark plug tip) seems to let in just the right amount of air. but the post I saw this on (some 3g one) said it doesn't work for EVERYONE but 90%....

hope this helps, fellas. I haven't seen code one from my o2 sensors since - and my problem was BAD before I did this - the light just came on ALL the time, every 50 miles no matter how much I cleared it. I am probably running rich most of the time though

#40 ·
damn yo. e-rep for this

#41 ·
damn. i'll have to spread some first. i'll hit ya back joey tho

#42 ·
well when i oreder my O2 sensers the guys said he would send me 4 for the price of 2 so i put all 4 in well my light came on as you guys know but i was able to run a computer through it and it said it was my O2 sensors so now i have been driveing with the sevice light on lol bugs the shit out of me anyone have any ideas?? lol

#44 ·
which spacers did you use????

if they are not working I still say use spark plug defoulers - WHY? b/c i can vouch for them - they work. and I had a wicked problem similar to yours. I can't even remember what color the SES light was...heheh

#43 ·
im happy im ses light free. Shit there have been ppl with gs that dont even use the spacers and be ses light free. you are lucky my friend :D

#46 ·
You may need to drill out the hole in your spacers. Or you might need to stack two spacers on there. That did the trick for me.

Reactions: Ballfade
#47 ·
Just got my headers and axleback today (3 days late thanks to UPS but I worked with RRE to get my shipping refunded from UPS!) Im excited as I have been looking at these for awhile and cant wait to put them in tomorrow. One thing I was wondering was I got the 4 spacers, 4 nuts and 3 golden "7" bolts with the header. Should there be 4 of the bolts? If so Can I just reuse the old bolts or are the ones provided different in some way?

#49 ·
So they will work then as long as you dont break or strip them?

#50 ·
Stocks bolts work perfectly, except the part that connected to the downpipe, might need to use some bolts they supply, or might have to get some of your own. Wow they give 4 spacers?

#51 ·
Yeah they did lol. I was wondering about the spacers you only need 2 for the o2 sensors on the header right? As far as the bolt goes I think I'll stop at lowes tomorrow before I install to get a matching bolt as it is the bolt for the part that connects to the downpipe.

#52 ·
you dont put the spacers where the header are. You put the spacers on the O2 sensors on your downpipe

#53 ·
Ok that makes more sense. Don't know why I thought it was the other way around lol. Thanks for the help!

#55 ·
Installed my header and axleback today. I wasnt able to really open it up this late at night but I felt some difference and I didnt even get to MIVEC range. It turns out I had just enough bolts for the install I just had one nut too many lol. Install was pretty simple. Didnt disconnect the battery and still no SES. The sound isnt that bad. I will have to get use to it. When I took it for a test drive and I started from a stop I kept looking around for the "asshole with the loud car" well guess what its me lol.

Reactions: Ballfade
#59 · (Edited)
^ballfade is right. yes - you don't want spacers on the 1st two sensors - have them AFTER the cat. if you have no cat, but them in the cat delete pipe. so those spacers should ONLY be on the last two o2 sensors. I would personally clean them off before I put them back, though

#58 ·
i suggest take off the first 2 spacers on your header, just a guess

#60 ·
Yeah the spacers are for the bottom o2 sensors because the exhaust gases or whatnot should not be different for the top sensors between the RRE header and the stock manifold. But seeing how you delete the 2 precats that are on the stock manifold the exhaust gases are different so you need the spacers for the bottom sensors. I think RRE gives you 2 in case you need to double up on both bottom o2s to prevent a SES light.

#62 · (Edited)
From my understanding if one sensor on the o2 sensor doesn't work you have to make the hole bigger and if that still doesn't work you can try doubleing up the spacers. Anyone else can correct me if I'm wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.