Spark Plug Replacement - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 GS
AED55 is on a distinguished road
Spark Plug Replacement

I want to replace the plugs on my 2.4L, but can't find any instructions on how to do it. I searched the forum and found a guide in the maintenance section for the V6, but nothing for the 4 cyl.

In the 4G technical manual under "spark plug replace", all it shows is a diagram of a plug, with gap settings. There is nothing about how to remove the plug to check the gap.

I sure hope it's not as difficult as the V6 because that looks like a real pain in the ass.
AED55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
can't remember if they have the same 'boot' on there but I bet they do...can you see where your spark-plugs are? mmmmmm.....I'd need to see a pic, hold on....yes, they have that same ignition coil boot, looks to be under the engine cover. there is a pic of them on page 11A-11 of the service manual

so - take that cover off, then unscrew the bolts holding the 'boot' to the motor. once the bolts are removed you can wiggle the boot loose and pull it out. down in the exposed hole is the plug - you'll need a long ratchet and a 'spark plug removal' socket - 14 mm I believe but someone w/ a GS please double check me. doesn't look to me like you have to remove your intake manifold to get to them (like you do for the rear 3 on the v6) so it shouldn't be too bad. hope this helps

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
depending on the type of plug u are using like iridium you shouldnt gap them. u can break the electrode since they are so small
akley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AED55 View Post
I want to replace the plugs on my 2.4L, but can't find any instructions on how to do it. I searched the forum and found a guide in the maintenance section for the V6, but nothing for the 4 cyl.

In the 4G technical manual under "spark plug replace", all it shows is a diagram of a plug, with gap settings. There is nothing about how to remove the plug to check the gap.

I sure hope it's not as difficult as the V6 because that looks like a real pain in the ass.
i forgot what size socket i used to remove my sparks, would check but it is at friends house lol.

Anyways do what i did, buy the spark plugs, take it to autozone or somewhere, test fit it in the sockets till you find the right one. You will need an extension.
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
subtechnician(eat fresh!)

Name: Nima
Vehicle: 07/gs
redstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to all
5/8 plugsocket did the job. make sure you also have some kind of rubber hose to fish the new plug down in the depths and be able to finger tighten first so as not to cross thread. gl
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang
choppertwo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar666 View Post
5/8 plugsocket did the job. make sure you also have some kind of rubber hose to fish the new plug down in the depths and be able to finger tighten first so as not to cross thread. gl
I'm gettin ready to install new pulsars, anybody got a pic of where they're at- THX - CHOP
choppertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Start here, should give you everything you need to know.
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...0000900-16.pdf

Spark Plugs:
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...0000100-00.pdf
2007 Eclipse GT=Sunset=Auto--20% Tint=Injen CAI=RIPP Long Tube Headers (Jet-Hot Coated)=RIPP High Flow Cat=RIPP BRAT Box=Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust=Energy Motor Mounts=Ingalls Stiffy=Megan Coilover Suspension=Progress Rear Sway Bar=SP Performance Diamond Cut & Slotted Rotors=EBC Yellow Stuff Kevlar Pads=Diamond Lower Grill=Konig Illusion Wheels=BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport Tires
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4l, how to, manual, plugs, remove, shows, spark, spark plug, spark plug replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.