It's Cat Time - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
It's Cat Time

So, I started throwing the infamous P0421 bank 1 cat code. Was hoping it was just an O2 sensor, but dealer says the cat is failing. Spoke to RRE and they said if 1 was failing, the other is right behind it and best to replace both. So, approx. $2500. Considering I'm at 11 years and 101,000 miles, other expenses I need to consider are my 5 year old coilovers, my SporTronic trans (how long do these last?!), and timing belt/water pump in the next 2 years. Tires, wheels, speakers sound like luxury items but I'll be due for those as well. This is all new car down payment territory now.

If my cat(s) is indeed dying, would fresh spark plugs and a Hackish tune save me some years? I'm not going to be happy with diminished performance and MPGs, that's no way to live, so a rational person would likely to decide it's time to sell.

I'm not ready for that emotionally. I'm replacing toasted front rotors and pads next week while I figure out a solve for the cats. Thoughts or suggestions? RRE Headers not a solution unfortunately
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Gut the cats, put the material in a bag and take it to a scrap yard. Put your manifold back on, and get a tune to disable the rear O2 sensors

You won't have the heat problems, or fuel efficiency/power issues of clogged cats, plus won't have to spend anything in parts (the cat material will cover a good chunk of the tune too)

There's my quick and dirty idea

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
Yeah that's a little too dirty for me. If I won't pass CA smog check w/ RRE Headers, gutted cats will leave me w/ nothing to switch back to test with.

Old June 16th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Your can always slide them a tip to look the other way. I know of a couple around my area that will do that if you pass the right amount.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
You could get a high flow cat after the manifold

My Build Thread
Old June 17th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Sucks how California is so anal about emissions, but I'm sure you can find a better option than having to cough up $2500, which is a tad absurd anyways
Old June 17th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Could pour muriatic acid through the cat... Flood it right up... Then pray that it dissolves the carbon buildup without stripping the cat material, haha

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that could work and have actually put no research into it.

My Build Thread
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 GT eclipse
darb454 is a jewel in the roughdarb454 is a jewel in the rough
you would pass emissions fine with gutted cats all you need to do its hide what was done from plain sight so wrap the headers in wrap if any cutting was done, will need O2 spacers to clear the trouble codes but will need a tune. the tune is to support the increased exhaust flow to get the ideal air fuel mixture for a cleaner burn. i have seen car with no cats pass emissions before so i wouldn't worry too much about it, if you just gutted you current cats it look stock and no questions asked. I currently have no cats on my car but located in a small but lucky emission exempt zone so i have been lucky not to have to deal with it but know many that got around it
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Could pour muriatic acid through the cat... Flood it right up... Then pray that it dissolves the carbon buildup without stripping the cat material, haha

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that could work and have actually put no research into it.
Lacquer thinner I've heard works well to clean out the crap from clogged up cats.

Last edited by DR3; June 18th, 2017 at 10:22 PM.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 GT eclipse
darb454 is a jewel in the roughdarb454 is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't chance any chemicals in there without research to support it, when the cats fail they produce immense heat and any trapped flammable vapors will ignite... they do produce products like catyl clean that claims it will help but most likely a cash grab. even though the cat has failed they to contain precious metals and can be taken to scrap yards for a decent return, depending on metal prices could get up to $100 back

Tags
belt, car, cat, code, coilovers, fresh, hackish, headers, o2 sensor, payment, performance, plugs, rre, sell, sound, spark, speakers, sportronic, tim, timing, tires, trans, tune, water, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.