ingalls Torque Damper setting - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 GT 6speed
skyline775 is on a distinguished road
Angry ingalls Torque Damper setting

is there a chart on how to adjust this think.. i want ti stiffer...do i make the thread count more or less on both adjustment...help me please
skyline775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT, 93 VR-4
ussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline775 View Post
is there a chart on how to adjust this think.. i want ti stiffer...do i make the thread count more or less on both adjustment...help me please
First loosen the lock nut (sivler nut) Then hold the stiffy () take a cresent wrench and twist the smaller gold/brass ring and loosen it, it should go towards the silver nut. Then twist the larger brass ring in or out to adjust stiffnest. You want a setting of about 12mm...

To measure, measure from the brass ring to the begining of the silver part of the damper..

The black line shows the measurement...10 is the stiffest..do not do this unless you do alot of track driving and 15 is the softest..So 12 is probably the best setting for you. I have tested the settings and use 12 myself. Adjust the brass ring in to up the stiffness.

The black line is how you should measure. Remember the measurements are in mm milimeters.

Once you have adjusted the brass ring accordingly, be sure to tighten your silver locknut to about 15 lb ft torque...

I know it's alot of nuts and stiffys and such but its pretty simple..Hope it helps!

RRE Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, TB Bypass, Intake and TB spacers, Ingalls Stiffy, Energy motor mounts and bushings, CM Stage 3, Injen CIA, ZEX 65 shot, Eibach springs. Purdy Purge kit.

Last edited by ussoldier0227; July 17th, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
ussoldier0227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Trevor
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT Auto
Trevorcjones is just really niceTrevorcjones is just really niceTrevorcjones is just really nice
hey, why not make it the stiffest setting? Anything wrong with doing that, outside the increased vibration to the steering wheel?

Want some custom decals/overlays? - Click here
Trevorcjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

ussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorcjones View Post
hey, why not make it the stiffest setting? Anything wrong with doing that, outside the increased vibration to the steering wheel?
The stiffest setting is not recommended because if you drive with it on the stiffest setting daily, it'll pretty much strip out and you are shit outta luck
:S

RRE Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, TB Bypass, Intake and TB spacers, Ingalls Stiffy, Energy motor mounts and bushings, CM Stage 3, Injen CIA, ZEX 65 shot, Eibach springs. Purdy Purge kit.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Queen Goon

Tournaments Won: 3

Name: Lisa
Vehicle: 06/Eclipse GT
Asian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond reputeAsian Cracker has a reputation beyond repute
Good thing I got someone else to install mine

Chaos -
lisa i like your car a lot. Here's why, the black says ill fuck you up if you try to mess with me but the pink accents tells me that you'll cuddle afterwards

-Mods: SRI, Exhaust, Headers, Stiffy, Rear Sway bar, Motor Mount, Reflashed Ecu, Black
-Pink Rims , Spoiler,Painted tail lights, 2% Tint Tein Springs,-
Asian Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
This should be made a sticky!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
This should be made a sticky!
Yes please sticky to cut down on pm's

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 GT 6speed
skyline775 is on a distinguished road
thank you so much. so 12 mm i will try..thanks for the info..
skyline775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
acrider is on a distinguished road
this was very useful! thanks!
acrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Eddie
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
GoNoShowGT will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all the info, it helped. I didn't feel much of a difference but perhaps because i have rear energy suspension motor mount bushing and front Ripp motor mount bushing. I do feel vibrations at high speeds though.
GoNoShowGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Cracker View Post
Good thing I got someone else to install mine
Haha, I can't help myself....

Lisa had a 12mm stiffy installed....???
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
uh yeah, I guess might want to give some heed to how this is actually set, huh? let me go do that....thanks, Will.

HA you brought up a year old thread - and I know some people have just recently bought and installed this. good timing.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT 6speed
skysky has a spectacular aura about
When we install the stiffy, we turn the whole silver unit to adjust its position. How far should we be turning the whole unit? I turned mine until it was pushing the engine forward just slightly. I didnt want to turn it too much and put too much pressure on the stiffy. I couldn't find anything in the instructions on this.
Injen intake, RRE short tube headers, Injen exhaust, Outlaw Engineering spacers, Quaife LSD, CM fx350 with steel FW, ViS CF OEM hood, XXR 527 wheels, Conti. Extr. Cont. DW 245/45/18 tires, Progress sway bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts and suspension bushings, RRE shifter bushings, Tanabe strut brace, MR coilovers, AEM FIC.
skysky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysky View Post
When we install the stiffy, we turn the whole silver unit to adjust its position. How far should we be turning the whole unit? I turned mine until it was pushing the engine forward just slightly. I didnt want to turn it too much and put too much pressure on the stiffy. I couldn't find anything in the instructions on this.
Search more!!! I'm on my phone, otherwise i'd find it for you, but you wanna be careful when you set up the Stiffy. I remember setting it up to 12mm BEFORE installing it, tgen bolt it up...
Check Ingalls website, i'm sure they have instructions.

Cheers!
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm not talking about the gold adjustment nuts. When you have the stiffy mounted and in place, with the silver lock nut loose, you can spin the ENTIRE stiffy. When this is done it lengthens or shortens the whole system. By doing this you can either push your engine forward or pull it back towards the firewall. So in other words when static you can put tension or compression force on the stiffy.
Injen intake, RRE short tube headers, Injen exhaust, Outlaw Engineering spacers, Quaife LSD, CM fx350 with steel FW, ViS CF OEM hood, XXR 527 wheels, Conti. Extr. Cont. DW 245/45/18 tires, Progress sway bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts and suspension bushings, RRE shifter bushings, Tanabe strut brace, MR coilovers, AEM FIC.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just read the website adjustments. This is something that IS NOT COVERED in the packaged instructions. When you install the stiffy you adjust the length of the two hiem joints to fit the brackets with no force applied, I.E. it should be installed to be neutral, niether pushing nor pulling the engine. The center-to-center measurement between the hiem joints should be close to 7", and no more than six threads should extend past the lock nut. So the stiffy pictured above is at the maximum recommended "length". See what I mean? Something that wasn't covered that I stumbled upon when installing mine.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Nelson .'.
Vehicle: C4S
Mr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldier0227 View Post
First loosen the lock nut (sivler nut) Then hold the stiffy () take a cresent wrench and twist the smaller gold/brass ring and loosen it, it should go towards the silver nut. Then twist the larger brass ring in or out to adjust stiffnest. You want a setting of about 12mm...

To measure, measure from the brass ring to the begining of the silver part of the damper..

The black line shows the measurement...10 is the stiffest..do not do this unless you do alot of track driving and 15 is the softest..So 12 is probably the best setting for you. I have tested the settings and use 12 myself. Adjust the brass ring in to up the stiffness.

The black line is how you should measure. Remember the measurements are in mm milimeters.

Once you have adjusted the brass ring accordingly, be sure to tighten your silver locknut to about 15 lb ft torque...

I know it's alot of nuts and stiffys and such but its pretty simple..Hope it helps!

yup, the ingalls instruction are very poor, thanks for the clarification,
i still have some (vrrrmmmm) noise though
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: mike
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
likethemwild is on a distinguished road
do u still recomend getting motor mounts on top of this or will this be enough by itself on a NA set up with just I/H/E ?
likethemwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
^FOR SURE get motor mounts. cheap & relatively easy to install. no excuse not to. IF you are modding your car for performance and tax it at all, the motor mounts are a MUST have. If you have headers, they are a must have. The only people who don't need the motor mounts are people who do not ever "go fast" for whatever reason. If you accelerate hard at all on any kind of consistent basis, YES, get the mounts.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT
xMoBxStatuSx is a jewel in the roughxMoBxStatuSx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
^FOR SURE get motor mounts. cheap & relatively easy to install. no excuse not to. IF you are modding your car for performance and tax it at all, the motor mounts are a MUST have. If you have headers, they are a must have. The only people who don't need the motor mounts are people who do not ever "go fast" for whatever reason. If you accelerate hard at all on any kind of consistent basis, YES, get the mounts.
Motors mounts are now on the shopping list. Thanks!

Last edited by xMoBxStatuSx; May 11th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
xMoBxStatuSx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)

Name: zack
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsubishi eclipse g
zackattack will become famous soon enough
I installed mine today, I have it adjusted correctly and I have noticed a slight difference. But when I'm reving high there is a loud annoying knocking sound coming from my engine bay it sounds like its right on the firewall... Has anyone else encountered this???
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #22 (permalink)

Name: alex
Vehicle: 2007 gt
ambrotos is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue. Make sure it is tightened down and you put all the washers etc on. Should fix it.
ambrotos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack View Post
I installed mine today, I have it adjusted correctly and I have noticed a slight difference. But when I'm reving high there is a loud annoying knocking sound coming from my engine bay it sounds like its right on the firewall... Has anyone else encountered this???

Well if the torque damper was installed correctly, you should have zero sounds from the engine compartment. The only thing that could be making a sound is a broken engine mount, or roll stopper.

If it is a mount, I would look at your rear roll stopper. If it still factory, it is normally the first one to go, very soft cheap rubber. The roll mounts can be upgrade for $47.00. I don't know how many HP mods you have, but once you start adding HP, you must upgrade the roll mounts, and adding a stiffy just makes it better.

2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse Bushings Sport Compact Auto & Import Performance Superstore

ENGINE ROLL STOPPER AND CENTERMEMBER PAGE 32-9
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...0004700-32.pdf

I'm Going to put out a little "WARNING": "Good enough for government work does not apply to this vehicle, LOL!!" To many members here think that a torque wrench is an option when doing maintenance on their vehicle/engine. There are to many aluminum to aluminum parts, let alone steal to aluminum parts on this engine, drive train, and suspension. In the case of the rear roll stopper, members have over-torqued the attach bolts, or then again under-torqued those bolts. DAMAGE: They broke both the mount and cracked the lower block where the mount attaches.

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Last edited by Clovisman; May 17th, 2015 at 07:11 AM.
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: zack
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsubishi eclipse g
zackattack will become famous soon enough
Humm OK I will go over it agine tomorrow when I'm back at work. I drove it around quite a bit and its not getting any worse or better. It could possibly be the rear mount it is still factory. Thanks for the tips guys
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Name: jason
Vehicle: 2007 spyder gt
3rdgenluder is on a distinguished road
Has anyone encountered any type of failure on the stiffy for the 4g? I loved having it on my 3g but I broke the strut side bracket 2 times. Anyone have anything like this happen?
3rdgenluder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
I have the energy motor mounts (Roll Stoppers) and the Ingalls Stiffy installed for around eight years with zero problems, and I'm not a light driver. Have yet to hear anyone have problems with their stiffy. We had one member who had it on to high of a setting so he ended up rebuilding the stiffy in about three-month... that's it.

Old September 30th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

The damper is great..for my problem the bracket just couldn't hack it...I ended up with polly front mount...but I ended up torque in the bracket apart..lol I know it sounds like I might be full of it but I was shocked too lol
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenluder View Post
The damper is great..for my problem the bracket just couldn't hack it...I ended up with polly front mount...but I ended up torque in the bracket apart..lol I know it sounds like I might be full of it but I was shocked too lol
Oh, I believe you... One of the biggest mistakes that I see on the 4G is when people change out their stock roll stopper mounts with energy roll stoppers. They fail to use the proper torque value when re-installing these mounts. Torquing these mounts is very critical, to tight, or to loose the mounts will break off the engine doing extensive damage to the engine block. 95% of the time it's the rear roll stopper mount that breaks off the engine.

If you don't own any torque wrenches, you better buy and use them on this car.
I've seen to many people snap, strip, or crack parts because they failed to
follow proper torque values when re-installing parts. Cost of a torque wrench
$20 to $30 dollars, cost for repairs, $50+ dollars, one guy it cost him his engine,
$4500 to replace the motor.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Oh yea I have "# and '# in my box..my buddies laugh when I bust em out and ask if they know the proper torque..

Tags
how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.