Problem, Problems and More Problems - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
OEM

OEM is on a distinguished road
Problem, Problems and More Problems

I am no NOOB to forums so......... ON with my questions.

I have a customers 06 GT in my shop and I need some help in figuring out his problem.He came to me with a couple symptoms. #1 - The car wont go past 4k rpm. #2- The exhaust is making a funny noise. The first thing I noticed is he has a SES light on, the TCL light on and the TCl indication light on as well. I scanned the car and came up with a Bad MAF. But I started with the basics first. Got the car on the lift and noticed that the flex join was leaking. I cut the old one out and welded in a new one. If got rid of the Noise but nothing else, obviously. So now onto the 4k rev limiter he is hitting. I noticed he does have an intake on the car, a Fujita, not sure if that makes a difference. So What would cause the traction light to come on if the car has no Tranny codes? He said that someone told him it could be his 02 sensors or his cats. I checked his temps on the cats, they are reading 300-350 pre and post on the cat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark-OEM
OEM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06/eclipse/gt UV
omar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant future
many things triger the tcl light to turn on with the swirvy car light, this is caused mainly by the map sensor
omar123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06/eclipse/gt UV
omar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant futureomar123 has a brilliant future
Message Brianj,he's the guy to ask.
omar123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Preston
Vehicle: 2008 Subaru STi
ptr149 is a name known to allptr149 is a name known to allptr149 is a name known to allptr149 is a name known to allptr149 is a name known to all
If it has just rained the filter might be wet and causing the 4k rev limiter. This happened to me a couple of times after heavy rain. It didn't damage anything, it just had the 4k rev limiter. Just had to wait for it to dry then everything was back to normal.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired User

sporty is just really nicesporty is just really nicesporty is just really nice
what about the coolant,is it low ? because in these cars,if there is not enough antifreeze in it.the ecu wont let you pass 5k rpms.i know you said 4,but i'd check that too.
sporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
OEM

I can check the coolant, but it did not have a low coolant light on, and temp was good. Now you say MAP sensor, are you sure not the MAF sensor? When I disconnect the MAF when the car is running not at all happens, NOTHING.

I will PM BrianJ, Thanks guys for the quick responses. Very helpful compared to most forums.

Mark-OEM
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: matt
Vehicle: 08 eclipse gs
gsxtt is just really nicegsxtt is just really nicegsxtt is just really nice
hell i give this guy props for looking for outside source help
gsxtt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
I can check the coolant, but it did not have a low coolant light on, and temp was good. Now you say MAP sensor, are you sure not the MAF sensor? When I disconnect the MAF when the car is running not at all happens, NOTHING.

I will PM BrianJ, Thanks guys for the quick responses. Very helpful compared to most forums.

Mark-OEM
We do have a MAP and MAF Sensor as far as that being the source I am not sure. I do know our MAF sensor's are very senistive, and finnicky however. If he has a Intake installed, our all the MAF wire's not being used capped like they are suppose to be? Is his MAF dirty? Yes Cats and 02's sensor's have been the most common trigger found on this site.

Also it is an 06 there was a recall for an ECU reflash from Mitsubishi. It had to do with this exact issue. Do you know if that has been done to this vehicle?

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html

Last edited by DarkSidEclipse; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxtt View Post
hell i give this guy props for looking for outside source help
Who ME? I just don't like to waste time. I know every car has their certain little secretes .

It does look like one of the pins is not inserted all the way. So I am assuming that when I disconnect the MAF or if its not even working it going to the MAP to get its readings. I guess I need to narrow it down, a MAF, MAP or a 02.

Mark-OEM
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Ok, first of all...the tcl lights will come on for MANY codes...basically, anything that affects the fuel injection strategy, or the tcl controls will trigger it. That's Alot of different codes.

Second, exactly what codes did you pull?

Third, the car is operating in what they call "safe mode", that's why it won't rev past 4-5k

I'd fix that terminal first, then clear the codes, then start it and see where you're at...

Brian
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
Quote:

Mark-OEM
Ok first were not usually that helpful lol.
Second if the code was for MAF trouble why didnt you quote the guy a new MAF and move on?
Third the TCL, skidding car light like brian said is an indicatior for any airflow or injection issuse from a leaky gasket to a cooked MAF or even random misfires. Also how is the idle, steady? or choppy? cause if its rough again id look at that MAF. Like DSE said our MAFs are like women on their period look at them wrong and the get all bitchy with you, my advise is he beat the MAF up or got the MAF dirty while installing the CAI and it shit the bed.

"Rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"
2nd Ammendment supporter
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Trenman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSidEclipse View Post
Also it is an 06 there was a recall for an ECU reflash from Mitsubishi. It had to do with this exact issue. Do you know if that has been done to this vehicle?

Woah wait we have an 06 ECU reflash recall? I didn't know this and I'm also getting TCL and the anti skid light. What specifically does this recall do? Can I still get it for free from the dealer?? Maybe this will fix my problem!!
Trenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenman View Post
Woah wait we have an 06 ECU reflash recall? I didn't know this and I'm also getting TCL and the anti skid light. What specifically does this recall do? Can I still get it for free from the dealer?? Maybe this will fix my problem!!
The only "reflash" recall for the 06 was because the ECU was burning up cats cause it was running the cars so rich...I don't remember this having anything to do with any TCL light...just the catylist efficiency codes...
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Jesse Sepulveda
Vehicle: 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
allstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really nice
the car is on sage mode! i know this sounds silly but reset the ecu. after check the intake, it has to be the intake, because this has happen to me manny times! something must be loose! the MAF is probably reading to much air thats why its on safe mode!
|AEM modified CAI|K&N Filter|HKS 2.5 headerback exahust|Ingalls stiffy|Eibach sportline springs| Modified Bronze clutch|Outlaw Engineering spacers|TB Bypass|sRalliart eyelids|Ralliart spoiler|Rota P45R front17X9 +25 and 18X9.5 +30 rear|
allstarflash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Ok, first of all...the tcl lights will come on for MANY codes...basically, anything that affects the fuel injection strategy, or the tcl controls will trigger it. That's Alot of different codes.

Second, exactly what codes did you pull?

Third, the car is operating in what they call "safe mode", that's why it won't rev past 4-5k

I'd fix that terminal first, then clear the codes, then start it and see where you're at...

Brian
I figured it was in Safe Mode, and I kind of figured that the car was just throwing up all the lights just to protect the car when something is not right. I did play with the pin and it did not help any. I ddi quote the customer and he is bringing the car back, I am just going through the paces before I start buying parts and still have a problem. Like I said all cars have there tweaks and secrets about them.

The Idle is weird. When you first start the car it will drop low-300-500 then bounce back up to 700-800 and its steady. It could just be the motor I am unsure. It never stalls on start up and its not missing on any cylinders.

I pulled two codes, the first time I scanned the car I got a MAF code. Checked the MAF and cleared the codes, then scanned it again and got a IAT code. So something screwy is going on I think.

My question is, with a stock motor and only this type of intake could it be the MAF reading to much?

Also how to I reset the ECU? Pull the battery or is there a run procedure?

Mark-OEM
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Ok first were not usually that helpful lol.
Second if the code was for MAF trouble why didnt you quote the guy a new MAF and move on?
Third the TCL, skidding car light like brian said is an indicatior for any airflow or injection issuse from a leaky gasket to a cooked MAF or even random misfires. Also how is the idle, steady? or choppy? cause if its rough again id look at that MAF. Like DSE said our MAFs are like women on their period look at them wrong and the get all bitchy with you, my advise is he beat the MAF up or got the MAF dirty while installing the CAI and it shit the bed.

I am right there with ya. I will let you guys know what I find on Wednesday when I get it back. For now I will order a MAF and IAT.

Mark
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Theta II

DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
The only "reflash" recall for the 06 was because the ECU was burning up cats cause it was running the cars so rich...I don't remember this having anything to do with any TCL light...just the catylist efficiency codes...
I thought those codes would trip the TCL Light?

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
The dick of JUSTICE

Vehicle: 2005 Galant ES
psy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I figured it was in Safe Mode, and I kind of figured that the car was just throwing up all the lights just to protect the car when something is not right. I did play with the pin and it did not help any. I ddi quote the customer and he is bringing the car back, I am just going through the paces before I start buying parts and still have a problem. Like I said all cars have there tweaks and secrets about them.

The Idle is weird. When you first start the car it will drop low-300-500 then bounce back up to 700-800 and its steady. It could just be the motor I am unsure. It never stalls on start up and its not missing on any cylinders.

I pulled two codes, the first time I scanned the car I got a MAF code. Checked the MAF and cleared the codes, then scanned it again and got a IAT code. So something screwy is going on I think.

My question is, with a stock motor and only this type of intake could it be the MAF reading to much?

Also how to I reset the ECU? Pull the battery or is there a run procedure?

Mark-OEM
Isn't the IAT sensor built into the MAF?

Sounds like swapping out the whole MAF unit will fix your problems just like that. Especially if unplugging it while the vehicle is running does nothing.
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSidEclipse View Post
I thought those codes would trip the TCL Light?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy-q View Post

Sounds like swapping out the whole MAF unit will fix your problems just like that. Especially if unplugging it while the vehicle is running does nothing.

Possibly, however...it might not be the sensor at all...the first thing that should be checked is the input voltage to the MAF assembly...if there's a problem with the reference voltage a new sensor won't help...
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06GT and 06H3
texas4g is a jewel in the roughtexas4g is a jewel in the rough
Check his TB, i had similar problem. Changing my Tb solved my problem.
texas4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
Now before I say this I have no problem helping and will continue to do so until I am asked not to or this is resolved. However that said just gonna throw this out there some food for thought if you will. If my mechanic ever went to a forum for advise on fixing my car and I found out, well let's just say that the last time I, or anybody I know would ever visit that mechanic. I mean don't you learn how to trouble shoot and shit in the ASE courses?
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Postwhore's Postwhore

10 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 17

Name: Glenn
Vehicle: 2008/GT/Spyder
AiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant futureAiRmAn2281 has a brilliant future
Mr. Brian...sorry to threadjack but I could use your advice!!!
Finding a Tach Signal/Window Switch
AiRmAn2281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
OEM

Quote:
Now before I say this I have no problem helping and will continue to do so until I am asked not to or this is resolved. However that said just gonna throw this out there some food for thought if you will. If my mechanic ever went to a forum for advise on fixing my car and I found out, well let's just say that the last time I, or anybody I know would ever visit that mechanic. I mean don't you learn how to trouble shoot and shit in the ASE courses?
So using the internet to fix a problem is bad? I am not trying to start anything here believe me. Yes I can fix the problem without any help but is it easier and less time consuming, YES. We do not gear ourselves towards fixing cars, but building performance parts.

As I stated in previous posts, we have a very good basis on what the problem is we just dont want to start putting new parts on the car till its running.

Also its a little different when I customer mods his car and does not tell you all the symptoms or tell you that he did something to a part on the car and your running around chasing a ball of string.

OH not to advertise on here but here is our site. As you can see we don't aim on fixing cars but engineering them to go and handle better

OverkillEngineeringMotorsports.com

I will run through the few steps here and see what I get.

Mark-OEM
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy-q View Post

MAF is on order. When we get the car back WED we will run another scan and see what we get. When I get the new MAF in we will see what it does.

Mark
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Theta II

Wish I knew about you guys when I had my 91 Z34

Old July 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 2010 Evo X gsr
speeddemon is on a distinguished road
Rev limiter 4000 rpms

I just wanted to add that when these cars aren't at normal operating temp., the car wont allow you to rev past (5000rpms in my 07 gt) maybe there is an issue with the thermostat? (stuck open). Just thought i would throw that out and maybe it is something simple.
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

^^^ what? Under what circumstances? The mivec system doesn't operate during the first 10 seconds, or when the coolant temp is below 50 degrees...but it doesn't limit the car to 5000 rpms...the only time I'm aware of that the car gets limited to 5000 is when the ecu is in limp mode for some reason...

Brian
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 2010 Evo X gsr
speeddemon is on a distinguished road
Rev limit 4000 rpms

I admit, I dont know much about troubleshooting cars, but I was reading some of the comments and I remembered one time in my eclipse gt that I started my car and started driving home from work without letting the car warm up. About 2-3 minutes after starting I was stopped at a red light and a new Nissan Maxima next to me punched the gas on green, and instinctively I also punched the gas and just as I caught him near the end of first gear, my car suddenly hit a rev limit that was nowhere near 6500rpms (i am pretty sure it was 5000 rpms). It took me by surprise as this had never happened before, so I suddenly let off the gas and let him go. I always beat those new maximas and altimas with the 3.5! I was just trying to create a new idea to maybe get you thinking in a different direction since everything else seemed unsuccessful. Sorry if I offended you. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Name: Tom
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
NMWBT is on a distinguished road
What was the verdict? I started having the same issue tonight! Going to get it scanned in the morning.
NMWBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWBT View Post
What was the verdict? I started having the same issue tonight! Going to get it scanned in the morning.
Get it scanned first, then come back with the codes. Limp mode can have more than 1 cause

Also, unless a shop is willing to scan it for free, take it to a parts store. They'll usually do a free scan

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Name: Tom
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
NMWBT is on a distinguished road
I first took it to AutoZone and it came up with PO421 and PO102. There was another code that the guy didn't write down. I am pretty sure it was an O2 sensor. I have had a few of those lately but they go away.

I then disconnected the battery and had it rescanned at Advance, which was a MAF code. The PO421 cleared out. I cleaned the MAF to no avail so I am gonna try to replace it.
NMWBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Vehicle: 2006 Eclpise GS
fhadso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
When I worked a computer repair shop, you would be surprised the resources I used to get information. I have my A+ and my CompTIA. There's a lot they don't teach you in school.

By the way, the first thing I thought when I read the first post was "does it have an aftermarket intake?" and then I read that it did. From what I've noticed on this forum, aftermarket intakes (on our cars, at least), if not designed or installed properly, can light up the cluster. If I understand correctly, and I may be wrong, if the ECU senses an issue with a sensor, it will cut all interaction with that sensor.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
06 gt, bad, car, exhaust, fujita, intake, light, maf, noise, oem, problem, problems, questions, sensors, shop, tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.