Performance 3.8L MIVEC Heads - Page 2 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 06GT, 09GT, 01GT-T, 14MR
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Mmmm... if I'm calculating this correctly, I'm getting 544.1 max HP from your max lift of .7 at 28" depression.

NOOOICE!
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GT-TT
horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
by what numbers though? stock stroke and bore with ambient compression?

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
horse-eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Hold on, carl... still need to source for crank work, buddy

Gotta do some more math...
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin

Old October 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse-eater View Post
by what numbers though? stock stroke and bore with ambient compression?
Not necessarily and yes, respectively. I know I'm just calculating benchracing figures, but I'm talking maximum power potential of the whole engine given max available headflow. It'll be a matter of displacement that enables that max power, hence the comment on crank work.

Last edited by Slippercream; October 16th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I am more curious what the max HP:CFMs would be for a stock block and crank at stock compression.

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

i know that none of us unboosted are even close to maxing the heads out.

Old October 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Sorry... got distracted trying to catch up on my engine tech. It's been a while, and being that I'm an IT analyst and not an engine builder...

Actually, did you know that the stock engine's max potential airflow (at 233.6 cid) is 304 CFM at sea level? I'm a little rusty, and I seem to have misplaced my engine book (thanks Ross ) ... so I think I might be confusing my formulas based on the numbers provided by Hobbes Perf.

In my earlier ramblings, an overbored 4.5L 6G75 block (274.6 cid), theoretically possible via a remachined OEM (stroker) crankshaft can flow 357 sCFM.

Given that my calculations are correct, if the Hobbes ported head flows 352.6 sCFM then we're close to creating that realistic number of 544HP. Specifically, if we somehow got to push out 357 CFM out of the heads to match the block's max capacity, we'd be making 550.79hp out of a 4.5L block!

Perhaps Dennis can speak to the feasibility of my estimations.
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Club9G.net Owner

Vehicle: 2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS
Tech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant future
I bow down to you, finally - someone with some balls.

I know where my car is going in a few months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
never thought a galant would beat a s2k
Tech_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Quote:
i know that none of us unboosted are even close to maxing the heads out.
Max hp for stock heads (flowing at 272.7 sCFM) is 420.73 hp As I mentioned above, max airflow attainable through the stock block is 304 CFM at sea level. That puts the max hp potential at 469 hp at 100%VE (naturally aspirated).

So the issue isn't so much that we don't already have good enough displacement with the stock engine. (Though you'll likely want to go overbore with new pistons anyway as a matter of best practices, right?) It's aptly addressed by better head flow to match your race block. My whim of a 4.5L block are just to try to get the max out of the engine using a remachined OE crank.

You obviously can make higher numbers with boost, increasing VE to over 100%... obviously. Besides, my question to Dennis about larger valves... say, +2 over... is obviously not intended to be for building an N/A race engine. That would just be stupid, and I'd just lose power that way.

If I'm going to build, I'm going to build for FI
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #50 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

see, im almost to the point when i just want rwd before i do anything silly. so i think that i would stay NA if i cant figure out a budget TT kit.

but yeah, without even introducing cams, we are potenially looking at +-400whp NA....

Old October 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #51 (permalink)

itman3s is a jewel in the roughitman3s is a jewel in the rough
Remember guys, porting is and art and a balance of not only flow but velocity as well. Hobbs has a very proven reputation in the 3s world and there are currently well over a dozen 3000gt vr4's in the 800-1100 awhp range with hobbs work. According to Hobb's these heads out flow the DOHC's by quite a bit especiually at low lift..I can't wait to se the true potential of these MIVEC ported heads..
itman3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Yeah, I was wondering if Dennis would give us a brief assessment of the design of the stock heads... port angles, volume, adequacy of factory cam profiles to acceptable street performance with the remachined ports.

I'd like to know to what extent the work had to be done, if, for your specific application, they had to reshape the port walls any, or perhaps add. Of particular concern to me is the meat that can be shaved off to produce the most optimum air mass possible, as we both are in fact looking at an FI solution.

It does change the playing field completely after all. N/A builders would consider the velocity factor a much more crucial one than we. For us, that's partly addressed with proper turbo selection and pipe design.

Carl: I hope I'm not too selfish for wanting this thread to be stickied
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
This thread just shot up to my #2 favorite instantly, second only to the dirty girlfriend thread. That build is fucking nasty, and if its as solid on the inside as it looks on the outside, the 4G eclipse will soon be able to put down saliva inducing, clutch toasting, stock gearbox SHREDDING power. The day this car starts will be quite interesting.
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
What Drives You?

x19908719238749871324

It's making me hot myself for a BooSty Call...
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #55 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
Things are looking tight on the firewall side..........fuck it, be a man and run the turbo's sticking straight out the hood hahaha. Oh man.

The money involved when this is all said and done, OEM value of the car included will probly run into the 45-50 thousand dollar range. Sometimes you gota ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze?
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #56 (permalink)
Club9G.net Owner

Vehicle: 2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS
Tech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant futureTech_Greek has a brilliant future
Rico

Notice where the engine mount is bolted to...I believe the turbos are going to be where the intake sits now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
never thought a galant would beat a s2k
Tech_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #57 (permalink)
What Drives You?

If on the 3si, yes the turbos are going to be situated where the battery is, but on the 4G it's going to be right next to the ABS pump/valve unit, so it it's going to be a tight squeeze. This piping design won't work for the 4G (or Galant), as our trannies are located on the driver side of the compartment.

Those who've had the fortunate ( ) experience of messing with exhaust manifolds and aftermarket headers will know that a twin setup will involve a long pipe run from bank 1 collectors to the rear turbo, or, be hidden behind the block. Still it's going to be one tight squeeze.

Personally, I wish there could be a way for the turbine flange could be situated a short run from the exhaust ports.
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #58 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

how about 6 little bitty turbos with almost no piping. just a 3 inch straight pipe off the exhaust port into the turbo...

haha okay no. but dude, we have wayyyy more room than the 3s does. thats the first thing matt and everyone said down at 3sx when i first got the car. if i would have stayed in NC mine would already have been done.

Old October 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #59 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Nah... we've got enough low end tq as it is, for a FWD. That's why I think twins might actually better serve our needs. Or maybe a jet turbine...
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #60 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

well, if we go small twins, we should actually pick up low-mid tq and mid-top HP... kinda the reason they did it with the GTR...

and with 3.8L+ displacement, we will be spooling the turbos instantly...

Old October 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Yeah, but that's exactly it, we don't need any more low end torque, IMO. I haven't actually looked into the subject of turbos since ideally we do need more data on engine output. The engine work has to come first, the n proper determination of the turbo.

Of course in itman3s' case, I think that's a great combination - large-enough turbos that would spool up, say, at the 2500rpm mark (guess) and not mess any further with traction at low RPMs. I'm more interested at raising the sweet spot from 4500 to, say 5500, and have gradual power buildup apex at a higher RPM, and closer to redline.

Longer powerband FTW!

In fact, my original idea was to go with twin big16Gs, for simplicity and availability. Those are mid-sized turbos that would probably suit your goals, Carl
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #62 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

well, in reality, i would say that a GT25R on low boost would suit this motor perfectly... i mean on a tiny little 4g63 it takes forever to spool, but on 3.8-4.0L it would spool very quickly. and it flows massive CFMs at a lower PSI.

but for twins, i agree big 16g's. probably spool around 3200-3500. and a twin setup would hold boost easy to 6200rpms... the only help we need under 3k is getting tires to bite so you dont shatter solid urethane mounts.

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #63 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Well with the 275 street Michelins I've got that wouldn't be much of a problem now, would it? Remember I've also got 305s that I can switch to the front for track days, if necessary

But seriously though, the main reason I would think MHI were the way to go would be for shorty manifolds, direct to turbo flange. Wouldn't be as gawdy, but it would definitely do the trick, and especially in maintaining the highest exhaust velocity possible to turbine. Though I'm afraid heat might be a major issue with such a design.

Last edited by Slippercream; October 18th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #64 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

well, i just bought a set of 3s manifolds to test fit when i get home.

i know the gaskets cross over, just need to make sure the holes line up with ports right, and that sizes match.

then its just a matter of cut and rotate to fit.

Old October 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #65 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

first step is putting these heads on the car. the numbers still got me with a chubby.

Old October 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #66 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 UV Blue GT m/t
Rodz is just really niceRodz is just really niceRodz is just really nice
Quote:
well, i just bought a set of 3s manifolds to test fit when i get home.

i know the gaskets cross over, just need to make sure the holes line up with ports right, and that sizes match.

then its just a matter of cut and rotate to fit.
Good Luck, Horse!
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #67 (permalink)

illwill3 will become famous soon enough
bump for update and to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY itman
illwill3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill3 View Post
bump for update and to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY itman
Thanks illwill3..So far so good, i'm working on the intake mods and have test fitted the engine assembly in the engine bay..I'll post some pics later tis week..
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #69 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Please do! that would be freaking sweet!!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #70 (permalink)

illwill3 will become famous soon enough
FYI at work i have the pic of your piping as my background
illwill3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #71 (permalink)
Sleeper

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT Plus
pdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond reputepdiddy1995 has a reputation beyond repute
the sight of that tt makes me feel warm and tingly in my pants
pdiddy1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #72 (permalink)

Hey Guys, the perfomance valve springs and titanium retainers are in !!! These things look great and let me tell you, the weight savings are awesome...The stock ex-spring weighed 41.8g and the Stock In-spring was 40.1g, The stock retainers were 10.0g..The New Springs are 39.0g an the titanium retainers are only 4.2g , this give us a total weight savings of 6.9g on the intake side and 8.6g on the exhaust side.. The new closed seat pressure is 100lbs (as i specified for my app) @ 1.730'' install hieght, vs the stock seat presssure of 59lbs-Intake and 51lbs exhaust @ 1.740'' install height..

Anyone interested in a set can give Zach Jones a call @ R/D springs corp. 760-948-4698..They are now stocked and ready to ship...I worked with him to desigh these springs and retainers..Here are the respective part number for either the Perfomance springs or the retainers or both.

Complete Spring/Titanium Retainer Kit # VSK 602-M
Spring Kit # 1091
Titanuim Retainer Kit # 2510

I'll try to get some pics up soon...

thanks
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
JerkyNazi

Vehicle: 06 GT
Dyas is a glorious beacon of lightDyas is a glorious beacon of lightDyas is a glorious beacon of lightDyas is a glorious beacon of light
bump for awsomness
Dyas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Price, price, price!!!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #75 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
andre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to beholdandre81k is a splendid one to behold
anyone have the price on these yet ?
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #76 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Why don't you call em yourselves?
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #77 (permalink)
Trap$tar

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
xxQuickxx is on a distinguished road
whats the word on this????
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #78 (permalink)

hey guys, not really sure what the pricing will be because i helped develope these parts and was the first to do the port work. Your best bet is to give these folks a call and discuss your options and pricing. Hobbs is very fair so i think you will be happy.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #79 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 UV Blue GT m/t
Rodz is just really niceRodz is just really niceRodz is just really nice
Any updates?
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
Any updates?
I had to put this on pause for a little, plus it is way to cold in the garage..hahah..i'm such a cry baby..LOL

Tags
3.8l, crazy, custom, exhaust, head, intake, lower, mivec, performance, pics, qui, springs, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.