Performance 3.8L MIVEC Heads - Page 5 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #161 (permalink)

Vehicle: 6g74 powered galant
boostzealot will become famous soon enough
thanks again slipper, im seeing that you and a couple of others are going to be my mentors here.
as far as using the MIVEC heads and having them effective or functional, what all will i have to do to get them to work. they are oil pressure actuated correct? kind of like vtec? (hate to make the association)
boostzealot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
I think 74s aren't forged like the 75s. In the description of the pic it says: "Don't get scared they don't break that easy."
the 74's internals except for the pistons are forged. they are much bigger just like everything else on the 74 compared to the 72. its like Mitsu was practicing building a monster motor. 4 bolt main, larger stroke crank, thicker rods, damn. but then its like they got smarter and built the 75. its got lighter rods, better CR, and all the good things from the 74 and better.

slipper if im reading that guide right, its saying that the valves are a little bigger than the VQ35's! if thats right im getting those heads as my next NA mod. that is what is holding this builds power back i know it, its my damned heads. my valves now are only 33mm intake and 29mm exhaust! ugh and yet i know someone that is making 530whp with a 35R and ported 72 heads. stock valves, stock cams, virtually stock bore all on 20psi. ill introduce him later but i imagine some of you already may know of him.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #163 (permalink)

itman3s is a jewel in the roughitman3s is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostzealot View Post
the 74's internals except for the pistons are forged. they are much bigger just like everything else on the 74 compared to the 72. its like Mitsu was practicing building a monster motor. 4 bolt main, larger stroke crank, thicker rods, damn. but then its like they got smarter and built the 75. its got lighter rods, better CR, and all the good things from the 74 and better.

slipper if im reading that guide right, its saying that the valves are a little bigger than the VQ35's! if thats right im getting those heads as my next NA mod. that is what is holding this builds power back i know it, its my damned heads. my valves now are only 33mm intake and 29mm exhaust! ugh and yet i know someone that is making 530whp with a 35R and ported 72 heads. stock valves, stock cams, virtually stock bore all on 20psi. ill introduce him later but i imagine some of you already may know of him.

Ondontii????
itman3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #164 (permalink)

naw, i know him too. he lives here in Utah with me and warmandscsi. i know a lot of people have had grief with Tj but he has seriously out done himself with the 6g72 and truth be told he's a great guy.
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #165 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 06GT, 09GT, 01GT-T, 14MR
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostzealot View Post
thanks again slipper, im seeing that you and a couple of others are going to be my mentors here.
as far as using the MIVEC heads and having them effective or functional, what all will i have to do to get them to work. they are oil pressure actuated correct? kind of like vtec? (hate to make the association)
They are hydraulically actuated, yes. I'm thinking you can use your stock ECU and pair with something like an EMS or similar, which can control the MIVEC signal piece of it. You shouldn't have to do an ECU swap for that.

As for the "mentor", really, I don't think I'm not as knowledgeable as some people might think. I'm pretty sure there are other folks in here that know far more than I do.

Just that they're quite few. Or perhaps some are just not speaking up
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #166 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Oh... and 90, huh? That's along the lines of what I had in mind a while back. Actually, LS6 or Cobra 90mm DBW was what I was thinking. I think people thought that was a stupid idea back then.

Kudos to you for being that idea personified
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippercream View Post
They are hydraulically actuated, yes. I'm thinking you can use your stock ECU and pair with something like an EMS or similar, which can control the MIVEC signal piece of it. You shouldn't have to do an ECU swap for that.

As for the "mentor", really, I don't think I'm not as knowledgeable as some people might think. I'm pretty sure there are other folks in here that know far more than I do.

Just that they're quite few. Or perhaps some are just not speaking up
i havent quite searched to my fullest to find out just exactly how the MIVEC works. i need to find out just how it works to see if my current setup would work. i have a 00 ecu being tuned with evoscan and a greddy emanage blue. they work in conjuction pretty well but naturally the 00 ecu not being able to be flashed does hold me back quite a bit. i dont think i will really make much more power with the stock 72/74 heads even though im getting a set ported. i might as well just try and find a set of mivec heads to do the swap with and then start making serious numbers. with the way it sounds that the heads are designed that alone will grant me the power ive been looking for in other (possibly the wrong) areas.

if there are more knowledgable people here it is a shame that they dont chime in to either correct or to add occationally. i myself havent been here long enough to know you all but hope to get to know most of you pretty quickly. thank you again for having me and welcoming me in such a cool fashion. i really plan to learn a lot here.

as far as the 90mm tb, slipper, i think that the Q45 tb is one of the simplest and boost friendly 90mm tb's out there. i know for a fact that the ford tb's tend to leak under heavy boost and i havent quite hear anything bad about the gm ones. i just know that if you were to switch to the Q45 one like i did, you end up loosing your IAC and a few more functions. you could adapt them to work but it would require you to research more than what i have done already. are your tb's electronic or still cable type and what size are they?
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #168 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Yeah, I've been noticing a lot of talk about these TBs and was curious about em. I hadn't realized until now how much "acclaim" it has - and apparently you can attest to how well it works! We're electronic/drive-by-wire. To that end, I'm not sure if the Q45s come with a solenoid or cable-spring mechanism.

Truth - I'm actually getting tired of talking tech, mostly because, unlike in C3G or, say 3SI, there's not as much gearhead talk in here. Most of the time I feel like I'm a hypocrite for talking as much "tech" than I currently have on the 4G. Part of it's circumstance, and part's adjusting plans. Not that I owe anyone any "proof" of anything, but I sometimes think I ought to just keep my thoughts to myself until I get my own shit in order. Another truth - I'm actually very able at this point in time to have a full engine built, but I've been tempted and lured to go a different route performance-wise.

But back on topic, I had a discussion with several folks... all the way in CA in fact... about sourcing work for the engine build. One shop was going to do all bottom end, emphasis being custom crank work. While that was happening, the easier head work would be sent to an affiliated engine shop. These were guys who knew their stuff... and knew Mitsu engines! Actually, my main guy's closely affiliated with a few reputable shops up in Dallas that are known for building DSMs and some 6G7x's, so I had a bit of confidence in knowing that I was in good hands.

There's a whole lot more that's been done since then, and itman3s is one of those pioneers who's made it happen. I'm glad we're now seeing more pipedreams realized. Ironic that in this case it's by a guy with a 3000GT! (no offense man )

Look at some of the discussions and numbers thrown out earlier in this thread, and in the '65-M engine thread. That should give you some roundabout figures that might help you figure out what realistic goals might be with a swap like this. But until someone's actually provided some before and after flow numbers, they're just going to be calculations based on theoretical max limits. From what I gather you understand the difference between the theoretical and actual, and how frustrating it can be when you're talking about engines
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM   #169 (permalink)

slipper, if you really want to get into the techtalk with a good group of drama free gearheads check out our site Mitsubishi Powered.com • Portal. im sure you will be a very valued member there.

its good to hear you are in contact with some really knowledgable people. this is good for all of our progression in the community. there are a lot of things we need to discuss about these heads and their variants. what im really trying to find out is whether the regular 75 heads flow better than the 72/74 heads. i know just having bigger valves will increase the potential for flow but the combustion chamber shape and all the associated angles all contribute to better performing heads. Tj and i were also discussing how if i was to do this head swap, i would lose a good amount of compression because of the combustion chamber shape/increase on the 75-M heads and that means in order for me to keep my compression ratio close to what it is i would have to spend the money again on pistons and a rebuild. hmm what i could do is just use a 75-M motor and sell the built 74.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #170 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Well just think about it this way...

The 6G74 has a bore x stroke of 93mm x 85.8mm, whereas the 6G75 is at 95mm x 90mm. Think of how easy it would be to make the 75-M a square 95mm x 95mm engine with some crank regrinding and no overbore. Then you'd be already at 4.2L!

Now be a little daring, and go for a 97 x 97 square, decent overbore with some crazy regrind and ultra-short rods... and you'll be at 4.5L easy!

Thing is, I haven't seen any flow numbers on the heads yet. But you can quite clearly see the potential in the '75M engine as a whole. You don't have to invest awfully much in labor for a stroker crank because of the already tall deck height, plus you've got nothing but good indications of a top-notch set of heads, with variable valve timing!

Yeah. It's your choice. I honestly don't even care for the built engine that's in my 3G anymore either. Not that it can handle all the power potential that the '75M can offer.

But that's why I've thought it best to go a "different" route first before going engine What's the point of having that much power if you can't make it stick, right?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #171 (permalink)

hmmmm i think i know where this is going for you. lol we'll talk a little later about this because Tj and i have been contemplating it as well.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #172 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Bump!

Did Hobbs change their number? I tryed calling and all I get is "this number is not a working number". I would really like to know, because if My supercharger build doesn't work out then my money is going to Hobbs instead.

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #173 (permalink)
OldNut

Name: Noel
Vehicle: 06 eclipse gs
toortool is a jewel in the roughtoortool is a jewel in the rough
area code changed to 575
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #174 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Very good to note! Thank you!!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #175 (permalink)
Trap$tar

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
xxQuickxx is on a distinguished road
Did you send everything out already jeep?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #176 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

No... It won't be until late summer.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #177 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #178 (permalink)

Name: Alex
Vehicle: 2000 Audi A4 quattro
ALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant future
bump
ALBOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #179 (permalink)
Trap$tar

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
xxQuickxx is on a distinguished road
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #180 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

I hear ya! I want to see more info on this! This is the final step I'm taking with my car, and I'm almost to the final stage!

Old May 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #181 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
DarkSideEclipse is on a distinguished road
what is the number to reach these guys? cause the one on the website doesnt work
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #182 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

E-mail them and they will give you the number. He is a real cool guy!

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #183 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
Nice guys nice prices as well...
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #184 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
DarkSideEclipse is on a distinguished road
did he dyno the car with the new head? i would love to here how it sounds
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #185 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

I think he was waiting on his turbo build.

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM   #186 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
Whose is it?
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #187 (permalink)

hobbs performance will become famous soon enough
Hello everyone,
Sorry that I don't get on the site much. Just been very busy. The area code is wrong on the web site it has changed from 505 to 575-523-0956. I try to answer my email every night, so if you have any questions just give me a call or email me at hbbsdnns@aol.com.
Thanks,
Dennis
Hobbs Performance Cylinder Heads
hobbs performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM   #188 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
06ECLIPSEGS will become famous soon enough
i posted some retarded ad up in here. and now im getting a spanking for it.

Last edited by horse-eater; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
06ECLIPSEGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #189 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Name: Rick
Vehicle: 2008 GT-SC
dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
so how much more horse power u get after the heads being done
dejectedangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #190 (permalink)

Name: Drew
Vehicle: 06' Lexus IS250
Drewfus32 is just really niceDrewfus32 is just really niceDrewfus32 is just really nice
so its been months since this thread started where are things at Itman3s?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM   #191 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

No idea...

Old June 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #192 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GT-TT
horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
i talked to him the other day.

he will post up soon he said.

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
horse-eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #193 (permalink)
fraser valley eclipse

Vehicle: 07 Spyder GT-P 6speed
spydereclipse will become famous soon enough
1 month later?
Frost White Pearl Current modifications: ralco gs short shifter, psy-q design aluminum shift lockout, K+N short ram intake, resonator delete, flowmaster 40 muffler, megan racing coilovers, AUX cable, sony 1200 amp, 2-12" sony explod subs, Enkei J-Speed 18x8.5'' 35 offset front 18x9'' rear 42 offset, yokohama advan neova ad08 225/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear
spydereclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #194 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

http://club4g.org/board/mitsubishi-n...tml#post260558

There you go man..

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #195 (permalink)

Name: Drew
Vehicle: 06' Lexus IS250
Drewfus32 is just really niceDrewfus32 is just really niceDrewfus32 is just really nice
itmans very first post on this thread says 3.8L whats a 3.7???
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #196 (permalink)
Love that car

Name: Dane Bush
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse GT
20eclipse08 has a spectacular aura about
K Im definatley doing this however im not familiar with in depth engine work. Whats the best way to go about this. Stage 3 port and polish from hobbs, cams maybe a stroker kit and a tune?
20eclipse08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #197 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

What are your goals for the car?

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #198 (permalink)
Love that car

Lol lots of horsepower. This is my first build not exactly a mechanic lol prob not much help
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #199 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Well I mean are you going turbo, All- motor? How do you want your powerband? nice and flat tq curve, or a high revving peak monster?

You must first look at your goals before you can decide on which path you must take.

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #200 (permalink)
Love that car

yeah i've heard that a lot lol. Im not really which road i want to take i just want a fast car lol

Tags
3.8l, crazy, custom, exhaust, head, intake, lower, mivec, performance, pics, qui, springs, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.