Performance 3.8L MIVEC Heads - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

itman3s is a jewel in the roughitman3s is a jewel in the rough
Performance 3.8L MIVEC Heads

Hello All,
Just wanted to share some info on my custom 3.8 L MIVEC build. I have been going crazy trying to source cams, valves, valve springs and head work to increase the performance of my 3.8L MIVEC heads. Well, let me just say that it took quite some time but I have finally completed all my head work to include SS +1mm intake valves, Inconel +1mm exhaust valves, Performance springs & retainers and most importantly port and polish work all performed by Hobbs performance cylinder heads. If any one is in the market for head work I would highly recommend Hobbs Performnace for all you head work, there work is second to none just take a look at the pics! Dennis hobbs has a ton of experince with porting mitsu heads and does incredible work, he is timely, courteous and well priced. He also ports lower intake manifolds, take a look at his work below it almost looks as if he extrude honed the lower mani but it was all done by hand!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port-3.jpg (66.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Port-1.jpg (70.5 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg port-2.jpg (64.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg port-5.jpg (64.2 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg port-6.jpg (48.7 KB, 391 views)
itman3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

More Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port-4.jpg (54.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg port-7.jpg (79.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg port-8.jpg (72.3 KB, 224 views)
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Financial Wizard

Name: Nick
Nick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond repute
looks like your guy spent a lot of time with the grinder! Looks like nice work. Have you put these parts back on the car yet?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
looks like your guy spent a lot of time with the grinder! Looks like nice work. Have you put these parts back on the car yet?
Not yet, just recieved them, but i am expecting very high numbers...I will post the flow numbers in a bit, but these things are absolutely SICK!!!!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Liquid Silver Hair

1 Highscore

Name: Brian
Vehicle: 07/GS/Spyder
liquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good. By any chance do you happen to have a before picture?

MODS: 12Volt Adapter, Sun Visor Sunglass Holder. Couldn't see shit at night in the trunk so I installed a trunk light LOL
liquidsilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice work! So are you saying you have put cams in? If so where did you get them?

I can't wait to see the numbers. About how much have you spent on this build so far?

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsilver View Post
Looks good. By any chance do you happen to have a before picture?
Sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.JPG (25.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 14.JPG (23.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 13.JPG (22.7 KB, 222 views)
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
Very nice work! So are you saying you have put cams in? If so where did you get them?

I can't wait to see the numbers. About how much have you spent on this build so far?
Unfortuanetly NO CAMS!! I have spoken to David at RPW a number of times and he's not confident that anything will be out any time soon, so that sucks. I plan on running with stock cams for the time being, but if the performance is what i expect i may not even need cams.. I guess we will see!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
SOMEONE HAD TO BUY A GS..

jb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond repute
nice! cant wait to see what the motor can do once its back in the car.

i bet jeepboy is creaming his pants right now
jb4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

illwill3 will become famous soon enough
I dont ever post! I just like to read and keep informed (mostly because i don't have a 4g but working on it) anyways it's nice to see the performance side of the 4g is starting to turn around, for a second i thought 4 bangers was the way to go but the v6 is hanging in there. first horse found rods pistons (credited horse cuz of his thread) and now itman with the head job. When he get the numbers back it may seem like NA may be the way to stay. Oh by the way great minds think alike and geniuses' put 3's in their name lol shoot out the 360jeep too
illwill3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill3 View Post
I dont ever post! I just like to read and keep informed (mostly because i don't have a 4g but working on it) anyways it's nice to see the performance side of the 4g is starting to turn around, for a second i thought 4 bangers was the way to go but the v6 is hanging in there. first horse found rods pistons (credited horse cuz of his thread) and now itman with the head job. When he get the numbers back it may seem like NA may be the way to stay. Oh by the way great minds think alike and geniuses' put 3's in their name lol shoot out the 360jeep too
I also have custom Oliver Rods and Ross pistons for this application, if anyone is interested let me know and i'll hook you up with Scott Merkel.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Liquid Silver Hair

1 Highscore

Name: Brian
Vehicle: 07/GS/Spyder
liquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsilver has a reputation beyond repute
Wow thanks....Good luck with your project

MODS: 12Volt Adapter, Sun Visor Sunglass Holder. Couldn't see shit at night in the trunk so I installed a trunk light LOL
liquidsilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
I will probley just try and find a set of heads off a wrecked eclipse and do the same thing. That or just take mine off and have the car on stand by for a bit. About how long did it take for them to get finished?

Also have you spoken with Brian Cower? He is the ones making rods and pistions for us and I know he was thinking about cams. Give him a shout and you might not have to run the stockers.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I will probley just try and find a set of heads off a wrecked eclipse and do the same thing. That or just take mine off and have the car on stand by for a bit. About how long did it take for them to get finished?

Also have you spoken with Brian Cower? He is the ones making rods and pistions for us and I know he was thinking about cams. Give him a shout and you might not have to run the stockers.
Hobbs was very good with turn around, he had them back to me in a littl over two weeks. Just give him a call and he will coordinate with you so that you send them in and he makes time for them..

I have not spoken to Brian Crower, but i was thinking about possible contacting web cames for a hard weld cam. I know it isn't the best way to go, but i wanted to give it a try. Is BC making Billet cranks for the 6G75?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Thank you.. can you give me a price on how much it cost?

I don't think Brian Cower is doing the crank yet.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you.. can you give me a price on how much it cost?

I don't think Brian Cower is doing the crank yet.
I think the pricing will vary depending on what you want done just give Dennis a call @ hobbs performance cylinder heads (505) 523-0956 , he will answer any questions and he has done a couple of these heads so there is no guess work. In fact, he actually had a test head that he tried different port designs with to determine the optimal flow and air velocity. If you guys need info on the valves i used just let me know and i'll get you the contacts.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

thank you again itman3!

I will give him a call. And, can you please give the info on the springs!

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

hobbs performance will become famous soon enough
New member/Hobbs Performance

Just thought that I would introduce myself. My name is Dennis Hobbs, and I am the owner of Hobbs Performance. I am new to this site, but have alot of experience with mitsubishi heads. It was a pleasure working with itman3s. These heads will make some serious HP. If you have any questions, concerning cylinder heads, please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much. This is an awsome site.
Dennis Hobbs
hobbs performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Hey Dennis,

Thank you for coming onto our site. I look forward to working with you in the future on my Eclipse build. I'm sure your knowledge on head work will come in very handy to many members here. Can you give us some more info about yourself? Like, Phone number we can reach you at, Web site, some pictures of the work you have done, and just any random info you think we should know about our heads and what they can do. If you need to open up a new thread that will be ok.

I have the 6g75 (3.8L) and I'm wanting to do the same thing itman3s has done to his heads. That would include: port and polish, bigger intake and exhaust valves. I also am wanting to do cams when ever they come out. (stage 2) Then down the road I will up the compression with some stronger rods and pistions. (maybe a stroker kit... IDK) and add about 100 shot of spray.

I'm going to start this sometime next summer.

A question for you. If they were enough people interested in doing head work and, you could aquire a set of 3.8L heads and have them on stand by; would you consider a core swap? Meaning could someone call and tell you what they want done to the heads, pay you, then you send them the heads and they send back their heads to receive their core charge back? That would be a great way to do it so peoples cars wouldn't be down for 2+ weeks.

Kennan

Old October 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

reply to 360jeepboy

My web site is HobbsPerformance.com. My phone number is (575)523-0956. My email address is hbbsdnns@aol.com. All of this info is also on my site. Hopefully, within a week or so, itman3s heads will be added to the site.
I took pictures with the valves out, so you should be able to really see the ports. As far as doing an exchange type deal, that would work and make the down time much less. I hope to be as active on this site as possable, but because of my work load, it may take me a day or so to reply to your questions.
Thank you,
Dennis
Old October 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Hey Dennis,

Your info is great! Thank you.

I'm sure you will be a great person to have around on our forum! You seem like a pretty good guy, so far, and that you would go out of your way to help someone. I look forward to sending you my heads.

Kennan

Old October 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Aviator

Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/Gt
EclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to have Hobbs performance on here, you are very welcome on here Dennis, I am also looking forward to upgrading my internals

Selling OEM brakes (rotors, pads) - low miles
EclipseFL07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 06GT, 09GT, 01GT-T, 14MR
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Ohhhh.... say it ain't so, Joe!

Glad to see there's been some headway for headwork already on the '65M. Where exactly is Hobbes Performance located, and one minute question --- +1mm on valves conservative? What's the feedback on that... say, the max possible.

I'd still like to see some flow numbers, both actual stock and remachined heads.

Either way, excellent work man!
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Itman3 said he was going to give us flow numbers on his heads. And, I remember someone once doing a bench test on a set of stock heads.

Old October 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
And?

Where's the Data, mang?

And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Hobbs Performance is located in Las Cruces NM. As far as valve size, 1mm valves are the biggest valves you can use with the existing seats. but that doesn't mean that you can't install a larger seat that would accomadate a 2mm valve.
Thanks,
Dennis
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GT-TT
horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
Dennis... you are a god send.

your port job on the manifold looks much better than what i did... hahahahaha of course mine was done with a dremel.

From what I have read before, our heads flow nearly similar to LS6 heads.

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
horse-eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Wow... I thought there might be more meat to the seats than that, but it's still something. Excellent feedback, Dennis --- and thanks a bunch for this info!

Now the good thing is that Dave and the good folks at RPW do have pricing available for cams. At least insofar as the website goes, it's AU $1,300 for the set. Roughly US $1,010, cost ex ins, freight. I'm thinking the rest of the parts needed can be sourced Stateside, and you'd have your list of vendors for, say springs, valves, guides, and seats, if necessary?
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS-T
Dclipse is a glorious beacon of lightDclipse is a glorious beacon of lightDclipse is a glorious beacon of lightDclipse is a glorious beacon of light
I'm guessing tuning is going to be necessary for this setup, right?
Dclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Yes. Of course. Not doing so would be pointless. Most likely give you issues. You're already spending a hefty sum on headwork, what's a little more on proper engine management and tuning?
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #31 (permalink)

so whats the word here has itman got his head back and some numbers I'm really anxious to see the results still wishing the best of luck
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hey Guys, the numbers are on the way and i have a performance spring/titanium retainer kit now available for the 3.8l MIVEC..Tis thing is going to be crazy!!!! Here is some eye candy for anyone who is interested...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpeg_ree1.jpg (53.5 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg jpeg_ree2a.jpg (54.6 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg jpeg_ree3a.jpg (53.7 KB, 351 views)
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
The dick of JUSTICE

Vehicle: 2005 Galant ES
psy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond repute
Holy shit balls.

What did they quote you for this build?
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
looks like someone is a few steps ahead of me on a TT build... i hate your face.

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

Name: jaun gorden
Vehicle: 08 ECLIPSE GT
cleangt1 is a name known to allcleangt1 is a name known to allcleangt1 is a name known to allcleangt1 is a name known to allcleangt1 is a name known to all
thats freaken bad ass.
cleangt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Impressive build, itman! That piping sourced from a legacy 6G7 design? Love the way the collectors merge, but cringe at the thought of how bank 1's was managed... I assume due to space constraints?

Seeing the profile of your turbos it's quite obvious that you needed to create quite a bit more flow from the heads. Wouldn't have had it any other way myself! (Hence the valve osz question). Totally loving it man!

for ... what are those, .70 A/R compressors each with a 3" wheel?!
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Yep, .70 A/R and 67mm Wheels...Here are the flow numbers and Flow Charts from Hobbs..Note: the Cyl 1 CFM are the ported values and the Cyl 2 CFM are the stock values ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (30.9 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg untitled1.JPG (42.5 KB, 300 views)
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

nice very interesting
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
What Drives You?

HOOLY CRAP those are EXCELLENT numbers!

That's over 50% flow (and consequently VE potential) over stock! Ahhhhh... all with just a 1mm overbore. Ugh... I dunno what to say, man... this gives touches me in all the right places...

Wow... I'm just speechless...

Now lemme try and do some numbers...
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

alrighty, im sold.

now i just either need to get home and tear the car down, or hopefully we can source a core swap.

Tags
3.8l, crazy, custom, exhaust, head, intake, lower, mivec, performance, pics, qui, springs, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.