Turbo GT - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
Turbo GT

[Just skip to the bottom if you'd like to skip the theatrics]

"GO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!"
"GO READ A SOMETHING!"

Yes, this is most likely what you are thinking; another thread about some newbie kid wanting to turbocharge his V6 Eclipse- and you'd be correct, because I do! But I digress. That is not the point of this thread. This is not the usual, "hey gusy, I wnat to put a turbo in my car to get 1700whp and beat gtrs, how do u instal a tubro?" I've spent countless hours reading threads on here at my office (because, why would I actually work?), so I've developed a DECENT understanding of the 6g75 platform, as well as turbocharging in general, but I am not the All Knowing Eclipse God by any means.

I don't want to know how to turbo the Eclipse; I know how. You run the pipes from the thing to the thing, through a thing, upgrade your doohickey, tune that bitch up, and your good (I actually have a decent good understanding of how it works, and I'm assuming you do as well, so there's no real reason to talk about the logistics of turbocharging a car, regardless of it's make).

What I want to know is why there aren't many turbo GT's. Yes, there are a few of them- from what I've read, about 4 people have attempted it. 1 succeeded, and is still going. Another 2 succeeded, but proceeded to take them out. 1 said it was all finished up, then just disappeared. (Apologies if I forgot any)

Why haven't more people attempted it? Is it because there is no readily available "bolt-on" turbo kit, and nobody really wants to put the time and effort into making their own set up? Is it because there's not much space under the hood, so even those who have the time, money, and know-how don't want to attempt it because it's complicated? Like what is holding us back?

Everyone with superchargers and nitrous, as well as the one turbo GT still running around have shown that F/I can make the GT badass, and I've read through a lot of the big build threads on here- there's a lot of people with the resources and knowledge to take on a big turbo build. As for the money part of it, I feel as if it wouldn't be THAT expensive if you could do the lions-share of the labor yourself (and yes, a lot of people do have big ass shops, and access to necessary equipment). I've personally been offered assistance in undertaking a build- a former coach of mine works for Wagstaff, an industrial manufacturing company, and has access to basically any equipment anyone would ever need for anything- but I have declined because the bank owns my car, and I'm in college (in other words, broke), and I really don't have enough brain to throw at it at this point.

Or is it simply that people would rather just spend there money on a more mod-friendly (and better in general) car?

So yeah. In a nutshell, what are the barriers to turbocharging a V6 Eclipse (yes, I've read the threads about this, but they kind of all collapse like a flan in a cupboard after everyone says, "FUCKING SEARCH NEW GUY JESUS BALLS IN FUCK"). Why don't many people do it, why did those who did it stop, etc. Lack of space, motivation, money, knowledge, tuning? I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW THE PEOPLE THINK!

Last edited by brendonalgeier; June 23rd, 2016 at 05:42 PM.
brendonalgeier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Name: Chris
Vehicle: '08 Evo X GSR
ChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to all
You kind of hit on the main points. The Eclipse, especially the 4G, is severely lacking in aftermarket support. You can find all the parts, but in the end you have to really Frankenstein it together and for most people that ends up being too much work and too much money. For me it was the lack of aftermarket support when it came to performance mods that made me switch to the Evo. Why spend all that time and money turboing a FWD car that already spins the tires through 3 gears when I could just go out and buy an AWD turboed Evo and be able to run over 25 PSI stock? If you do turbo the 4G you need to build the motor, it won't hold more than 5 or 8 PSI otherwise (saw somewhere on a thread about the RIP supercharger). To me, 5-8 PSI is nothing, lol...If I turbo it I want to be able to use that new boost. There have been a few to make the 4G AWD and turbo, pioneers really, but they needed a lot of custom parts and fabrication to make it work. It is possible, but it would take time, money, and research. If you really wanted to I'd reach out to someone who has done it and ask for a parts list. That would give you a good head start on what you need.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Name: Chris
Vehicle: '08 Evo X GSR
ChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to all
3.8 6G75 Swap Discussion - Page 4 - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 24th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

It frustrates me so much how lacking the aftermarket support for the 4G is. It's such a gorgeous car, and it's made to go fast... it's just not made to go fast.
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Michael
hackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonalgeier View Post
It frustrates me so much how lacking the aftermarket support for the 4G is. It's such a gorgeous car, and it's made to go fast... it's just not made to go fast.
You have fitment fitment and fitment as being the 3 biggest reasons it's not that popular. I found a rear mounted turbo kit worked surprisingly well but even that had challenges in fitment. As with most V6 setups, supercharge it and be done with it.

-Michael

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
hackish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

1 Highscore

Name: Eric
Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT 6 Speed MT
1SickTSI is on a distinguished road
From all the reading I have done for a while now, supercharger is by far the easiest way to go. Only if it didn't cost a damn arm and maybe 2 legs to get a complete kit lol.
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

hackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SickTSI View Post
From all the reading I have done for a while now, supercharger is by far the easiest way to go. Only if it didn't cost a damn arm and maybe 2 legs to get a complete kit lol.
I think for a supercharger kit complete $3500-$4000 is a reasonable price. For a turbo kit on a GT $6000-$8000 is reasonable. Individuals can obviously piece and fab a kit themselves for less but if you wanted a complete bolt-on affair with quality parts then these are the cost plus a moderate amount of profit the supplier needs to make.

-Michael

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Putting a equal or greater cash investment into your car than what it's worth may seem a bit silly. The GT is fast, but isn't popular (or still in production), so naturally there'd be little interest from aftermarket manufacturers to make parts for it. And really, how much power could you get away with on a heavy, poorly balanced FWD car? Stock output is already pushing the limit imo, wheelspin is just a thing you have to live with in a GT.

Also, seeing how well these cars respond to bolt-ons, only the truly dedicated/power hungry would turn to boost. Personally I wouldn't, but not saying you shouldn't. It just doesn't make much sense in my eyes.
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

I think down the road I'm just going to go nitrous. Relatively cheap, relatively reliable/safe, and pretty decent gains. I'm hoping by the time I have enough money to dump into a car, there will be a new one on the market that just calls my name.
Old June 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you've ever seen F&F:1, you know full well what NOS can do to manifolds and floor pans. User beware lol
Old June 29th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
If you've ever seen F&F:1, you know full well what NOS can do to manifolds and floor pans. User beware lol
I'm too big of a poon to run big shot. Won't be blowing anything up anytime soon. lol
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

I wouldn't call nitrous safe. It's relatively inexpensive to install but dollars for horsepower you spend it on filling bottles. With a supercharger it uses air and air is free. Higher up-front cost but more reliable and cheaper in the long run.

-Michael

Old July 5th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
That's kit hasn't been available for like 6 years now.... Custom or go home! Michal you guys should make another version of that kit with rotrex superchargers!

You can use my car again!
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had an Eaton M62 supercharger with a 3.1" pulley sitting in my garage for awhile. It was good for 12psi on my 2.2, would've been interesting to see what it could've done for our cars.

Tags
6g75, back, bolt-on, button, car, eclipse, general, good, hood, king, kit, money, new guy, newbie, nitrous, shops, show, tune, tuning, turbo, turbo kit, uni, upgrade, work, works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.