Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

RRE Stainless Steel Headers

30K views 130 replies 64 participants last post by  Plain Jane 
#1 ·
*** placeholder for future detailed description ***

Reactions: danielrkuntz
#3 ·
I've got the RRE headers and i love them!!! They were extremely easy to install and the performance gains were VERY noticable as well as the deeper sounding exhaust note. The only gig I have for them is there was a lot of slag left over from the welds but i was able to clean them up really easy and they are still looking great.

If i had to rate them on a scale of 1-10:

Craftsmanship: 9
Fit and finish: 7
Performance: 9.5
Sound: 9
Ease of install: 10
Cost: 8

Overall: 8.75 :bigthumb:

#4 ·
bitch... i installed your headers! lol

#12 ·
No, you HELPED me install the headers. I passed you the wrenches and the sockets and you helped me by turning them, and then taking the old manifolds off, and then putting the headers on. But i tightened at least three nuts on the front bank. That was hard work!:timja:

Reactions: redstar666
#5 ·
Im really interested in these headers but honestly what am I looking at for sound will be a decent deeper sound especially since I have the exaust or am I gonna sound like a riced out Honda cause I really dont want that! Ive listened to the sound clips on you tube but you cant get a real feel for the sound so if any one can let me know what I'm looking at I'd really appreciate it. I just want it to sound nice and not have people laugh like when a stupid lound civic drives by--- not to loud and ricey.

#7 ·
As a 4 cylinder car is always gonna sound rough man. It all comes down to what kind of exhaust you have. The design of the muffler is what will generate most of the tone.

Any canister or "straight through" type muffler is gonna sound ricetastic.

#8 ·
:(

#9 ·
But with headers (and an intake & catback), it might sound ricey but the difference will be that there is actually power behind it. Rice is just all the sound and cosmetics with no power behind it. Just bark, no bite. I'm getting the headers after the big brake kit (maybe in the next 3 months), and even if the sound is deeper, it is intended to show that you have some power behind that sound. You should be pushing 300HP+ with some small mods.

#11 ·
Yeah my GS with F5 intake and magnaflow exaust (and high flow cat) sound awesome very nice deep tone sound, I'm just afraid to get the headers and it sound horrible and have to turn around and sell them. (lose money)

#98 ·
Ware ??

Ware did u get your higflow cat ??and how much did it cost to get it welded and installed?? i have 2007 2.4l 4cyl se

#14 ·
lol...

#15 ·
Magnaflow exhaust has a really nice tone to it with minimal drone. highly recommended if your main focus is the sound. im not so worried about getting pulled over bc of having a loud car yet, but i have the same concern about volume. i do alot of late driving and anyone with a loud car around here seems to get followed. ill be getting the headers soon. ( i hope)

#17 ·
hey what hi flow cat is everyone running? just a buy it at the local shop or is it a magnaflow? should i get one or just cut it completely?

#19 ·
All I have so far is the Weapon-R Dragon SRI... should I get the headers first, or the exhaust? And are the headers street legal?

#20 ·
Yes headers are legal

#21 ·
Actually, they aren't. I asked the RRE guys and they said its def not legal.

#23 ·
Because headers replace the front Catalytic converter.

#24 ·
yea but as long as you leave the 3rd cat in your legal. theres no law that says you have to have every OEM cat in its exact place it came in at the factory

#66 ·
I don't know where everyone gets their information from, but there is a lot of bad info. First of all it is a federal penalty to tamper with or remove "Federal" emissions parts on a car. Not that I care, we don't have any sort of emissions testing here but good luck getting a car car to pass testing with headers and then the "third cat" which is really considered a resonator because it is not monitored. For instance, if your manifolds fail (catalyst below threshold etc) then they will be replaced with in 80/80,000 by the manufacture. That third cat will not be. Since it is not monitored it is not considered a catalytic convertor.

#32 ·
Catalytic Converter Laws
Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

#26 ·
Fair enough... I don't know a whole lot about the emissions laws, just quoting what RRE told me.

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.