Mitsubishi's MPG Scandal - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Automotive News

Automotive News Latest in news in the automotive industry.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
Mitsubishi's MPG Scandal

Mitsubishi Motors CEO, COO likely to resign over mileage scandal: papers | Reuters

I actually see this is a blessing in disguise. The scandal itself is hardly as damning as VW's, and even Hyundai's a few years ago. But a new CEO? I'll take that. I'm good with them pursuing more environmentally friendly tech cars, but they need a new leader who actually WANTS to make cars.

Any new leadership would have to be aware of the years of complaints from fans and auto journos that Mitsu has lost its way by refusing to make any type of progress with cars that excite and compete. This 'scandal' could lead to more more exciting cars, we'll see.
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Good, I hope they pack up and take their precious i-Miev with them.

What works in Mitsubishi's favor is that they don't have to start from the ground up to build a decent enthusiast car. They've got some good engines and chassis already, so it wouldn't take much to cobble them together and roll them out on the cheap. Put the Lancer Ralliart motor in the Outlander Sport, bring back the Evo, drop the 2.0 in the Mirage GT, you know, easy things like that. Once the market takes interest, then tackle the big projects like resurrecting the 3000GT or a 5G Eclipse, or something entirely new.
2007 Mitsu Eclipse GT-V6 - Injen CAI, Tanabe STB, Tanabe UB, Progress RSB, Moog PS rear links, TWM GS STS w/Big Type R knob & aluminum base bushings, Torque Solution shifter cable bushings, Redline MT-90 transmission fluid (coming soon) Show-off thread!
1986 Pontiac Bonneville V6 - Stock w/upside down carb lid (+25hp)

Last edited by Plain Jane; April 29th, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
Plain Jane is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2011 eclipse GS Carbon
Bassclips is on a distinguished road
GM bailout scandle is by far worse.. Owned a bailout pos..bad when you start to know the dealer on first name bases from all the recalls. And other issues with gm cars..
And VW will very huge be lucky if they'll be around afterwards..
Hope Mitsubishi makes it through this...just by tearing into this car it put together way better then any car I've toren apart..and owned a lot through the years...mostly gm POS!
Bassclips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
If it's less than 80hp don't call it a GT, ok Mitsubishi? Throw a turbo on that sucker, make it 130hp, and THEN call it a GT. 130hp on a 2100lb car could be fun

Hopefully the new CEO will make a new sports car for Mitsu. 2 Door, AWD, turbo, yes.
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2016, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassclips View Post
GM bailout scandle is by far worse.. Owned a bailout pos..bad when you start to know the dealer on first name bases from all the recalls. And other issues with gm cars..
And VW will very huge be lucky if they'll be around afterwards..
Hope Mitsubishi makes it through this...just by tearing into this car it put together way better then any car I've toren apart..and owned a lot through the years...mostly gm POS!
My last car was a base '06 G5 sedan (only existed in Canada, identical to the Cobalt sedan). Besides a power steering failure that almost caused a wreck (covered under recall) and some bogus ignition switch fiasco, the car was very reliable and never once left me stranded. I beat on that thing savagely, it was very easy to work on and parts were dirt cheap, both OEM and aftermarket. I have nothing but good things to say about that platform if you can look past the drab interior and panel gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
If it's less than 80hp don't call it a GT, ok Mitsubishi? Throw a turbo on that sucker, make it 130hp, and THEN call it a GT. 130hp on a 2100lb car could be fun

Hopefully the new CEO will make a new sports car for Mitsu. 2 Door, AWD, turbo, yes.
There's an RVR GT too, it's the same 2.slow you'll find in other Mitsubishi branded toasters. The letters 'GT' are just that now, lettters, and nothing more.
2007 Mitsu Eclipse GT-V6 - Injen CAI, Tanabe STB, Tanabe UB, Progress RSB, Moog PS rear links, TWM GS STS w/Big Type R knob & aluminum base bushings, Torque Solution shifter cable bushings, Redline MT-90 transmission fluid (coming soon) Show-off thread!
Old May 1st, 2016, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

RVR GT makes more power than a GS Eclipse at least. Same weight
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's the same 148hp two liter no?
Old May 1st, 2016, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Comes with a 168hp I4 of some sorts now

EDIT: 2.4L 4B12 engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4B1_engine

Lighter than 4g69, but no cast iron block! I'll stick with my bombproof design thank you

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; May 1st, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Allah be praised, it's an improvement.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Much Parts, Little Money.

Name: George Platt
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GS
PearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to beholdPearlGreenNMean is a splendid one to behold
I swear to god if they dont dump the horrid 4 spd... Im going elsewhere for my next car. Christ fucking 200's have 9 speeds now? The genesis auto's have 7/8? Damn, this isnt 1990.

HAVE: Full Bolt On - OBX headers, cai, RRE pulley, Aero Turbine, Projectors, Hackish tune, D2 Coilovers, Volt stabilizer, eibach sways, under brace & strut tower bar tanabe
SOON: Turbo w/ arp head studs, mounts.
WANT: Ingals Stiffy... Hmu if you're selling <3
PearlGreenNMean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wish I had a four speed in my weekend car, gotta get by with a three and RWD. Hard times lol

Still waiting for the CVT fad to finally die..
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
They've got some good engines and chassis already, so it wouldn't take much to cobble them together and roll them out on the cheap. Put the Lancer Ralliart motor in the Outlander Sport, bring back the Evo, drop the 2.0 in the Mirage GT, you know, easy things like that.
I agree with this completely. They could have done this with the 4G Ralliart Eclipse, a parts-bin halo car they cancelled for no apparent reason after building the concept. Mitsubishi has a history of doing this.

Hopefully a new CEO will emerge that understands building a car brand is more than just following CUV/EV sales figures, and that he or she comes from the engineering or design dept., and not from accounting.

A RWD coupe based on the Ralliart Lancer platform would be the stuff, an FR-S killer. Not holding my breath, just dreaming.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

It's ok to dream, sometimes that's all a man can do.

I wouldn't mind if Mitsubishi put some effort into interior design either. Subaru is guity of this too, their cars are indistinguishable from what rolled out of the factories in the 90s.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
Now would be the perfect time for an Eclipse revival. With the success of the Genesis Coupe, and the 3 different Toyota GT86 models, sports coupes are an extremely hot market right now. All of these cars are relatively new, where as the Eclipse has history- we were in the first Fast and Furious movie! lol. Joking aside though, a new Eclipse would be perfect right now, because the market is set up for it. A lot of young kids with money- but not too much money (i.e, no Porsches, or Maseratis). Mitsubishi has been on a downward spiral for the past couple years, and it could be a great opportunity to make a comeback. In my opinion at least... I know if they came out with a new Eclipse (that had some of the elements we all talk about on here) I would trade in my soul, and my 4g.
brendonalgeier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thing is, do they have the budget to develop a brand new platform? Even if they do, and get started on it today, it'll still take them at least two years before they can get it into showrooms. I still think they should make hot versions of their current cars to try and get back some of the enthusiast market first. If people are buying SRT8 Grand Cherokees, why wouldn't they buy a 4B11T powered Outlander?
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Or if they made a lancer that had a turbo! I bet people would like that
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok let's not get carried away now lol
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
TireSlayer

Name: Keith
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
Haydu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So the lancer Ralliart haha
Haydu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Ralliart came out at a bad time as all of its competitors were either much more powerful or desirable. Its main rival the WRX was pushing 265hp, even the bargain bin Cobalt SS could drive circles around it at 260hp/260tq.

The auto only gearbox probably didn't help sales much either.

'09 sport compact comparo

Last edited by Plain Jane; May 4th, 2016 at 01:48 PM.

Tags
auto, cars, fans, good, mileage, mitsubishi, mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.