Nissan buying Mitsubishi?! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Automotive News

Automotive News Latest in news in the automotive industry.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
Nissan buying Mitsubishi?!

According to several sources, Nissan is in talks of purchasing a controlling interest in Mitsubishi Motors, who most know are in the midst of the MPG scandal. It hasn't been confirmed, but it is seeming pretty likely. What are your thoughts/ideas/wishes/etc. regarding this?

I, for one, think it may be a good thing for Mitsubishi. They've been struggling quite a bit these last few years, and Nissan might be able to whip them in to shape. As for my ideas/wishes- EclipZe?
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ricer

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
5g eclipse, baby GT-R?

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

I really think it'd work. Rather than an Eclipse revival going against the Z series, Genesis Coupe, and GT86, Nissan and Mitsubishi could tag team it and own the market.

I'd be okay with twins as well, but I don't think they should price themselves out of the market.

Old May 11th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ricer

It might make them a bit more pricy though. 1 less competitor

My Build Thread
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
If they can make a better product, it's only right that they charge a higher price.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
chlorine is on a distinguished road
Confirmed

Nissan buying $2.2 billion controlling stake in scandal-hit Mitsubishi Motors | Reuters

I am optimistic. Datsuns were the first car I was obsessed with as a kid, and Nismo has a solid history with performance.

If both companies play their cards right, this could get very interesting.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Name: Alonzo
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
LonzBera has a spectacular aura about
Also a TLDR version of the Reuters article: Nissan Will Take Control Of Mitsubishi Motors

LonzBera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
I am beyond stoked. Nissan is doing so many things right with all of there vehicles. Unlike Mitsu, they actually have a passion for performance. I'm expecting big things in the next few years for them now

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Yeah they said they'll be jointly sharing & developing technology

Old May 12th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

So, the most important thing now, are we calling this Mitsan or Nisubishi? Should probably run them both through google translate and make sure it does not mean something like small creature that eats genitals or something.
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse GT/Spider
Joetor will become famous soon enough
Personally I don't give a flying fish, I love the brand and my car, from the business management perspective this is entirely an INVESTMENT, Nissan will not put money on something to loss it later...some to read below:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tors/84270134/

Last edited by Joetor; May 12th, 2016 at 11:08 AM.
Joetor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

I really wouldn't mind seeing a 5G Eclipse running a VQ37VHR and RWD. Finger's crossed something positive comes out of this.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

I'm really expecting good things out of this. Nissan has not ever really had a 4 door sports car, so perhaps an Evo revival with insane technology could be on the horizon. And as stated above, I'd love to see a Z-Eclipse crossover. What I don't want to happen is 3 different names for the same car- Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS, Toyota GT86. I'd rather they jump in together and make one beast of a car. Nissan has a thing for having several models of cars- if you look at the 370z, there's like 12 different packages you can get with it, ranging anywhere from $22,000 up to $48,000. I think it'd be cool to have something like that. A base model inline 4, an upgraded V6, and then turbo I4 or twin turbo V6 models. That way everyone could get something they want, and Mitsan would have a hand in every market- from standard commuter car that looks awesome, to a performance targeted sports coupe. And word on the street is that the next Genesis Coupe will have a twin turbo V6 model, so an EclipZe TT could be a competitor. If they play their cards right, this could be a great business strategy for both companies.

Last edited by brendonalgeier; May 12th, 2016 at 01:46 PM.
brendonalgeier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is exactly what I am hoping for as well. The Mazda/Ford partnership bore some good results, and I am cautiously optimistic that we will see similar here.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
So, the most important thing now, are we calling this Mitsan or Nisubishi? Should probably run them both through google translate and make sure it does not mean something like small creature that eats genitals or something.
Checked, we're good!
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetor View Post
Personally I don't give a flying fish, I love the brand and my car, from the business management perspective this is entirely an INVESTMENT, Nissan will not put money on something to loss it later...some to read below:
Nissan takes 34% stake in scandal-hit Mitsubishi Motors
So what current performance-inspired Mitsubishi model do you love? That's what we're getting at. Nissan's controlling investment means they have large hand in management, i.e. future builds.

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
So what current performance-inspired Mitsubishi model do you love? That's what we're getting at. Nissan's controlling investment means they have large hand in management, i.e. future builds.
Nissan is the management now. With a controlling interest, Mitsubishi Motors is essentially their puppet. From what I've read, it was a very civil "takeover," so I like to think the relationship will stay civil, and they will work together to create amazing vehicles. If it comes down to it though, Nissan basically owns them, and can do what they please with future builds, business strategies, etc.

Like I said though, this wasn't a hostile acquisition. I'm nearly positive they will work well with each other.
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Yeah Mitsubishi is much bigger in other places than here in the USA. In Japan the Colt is really popular, even the ralliart version. South East Asia is a pretty big area for them, especially with the triton/mirage. It's not all quad turbo AWD vroooooom cars. Though hopefully we get some of the cooler versions/cars here.

Old May 12th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ricer

The problem in the Japan market is that they want to stay under size and fuel use limits for lower tax brackets on the vehicles for the purchasers. Nobody wants to pay for a luxury vehicle just because it's 1mpg over/10mm wider than the standard, right

My Build Thread
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

All we can do for now is speculate.
Old May 13th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
All we can do for now is speculate.
That's the fun part!
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Trey
Vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Chipmunk is on a distinguished road
Nissan is doing this to increase their claim in the Asian market. Mitsu and Nissan are basically the only cars over there. If Nissan wanted to, they could eliminate Mitsu from the Asian market, keeping them in only the U.S. and do 1 of 2 things. 1. They don't let Mitsu do anything in terms of "new sports cars" and make Mitsu go bankrupt, due to their unpopular line up and then take them over the rest of the company and re-badge it or 2. revitalize their line up and make them, sorta, as the company they were before. This probably isn't for the American scene just yet, but it might lead into it
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
resident crossplatformer

Name: -
Vehicle: 1999 Galant
fox_brand is a jewel in the roughfox_brand is a jewel in the rough
the last I read, at the most, Nissan is partnering with Mistubishi North America, I do have hope for this, I do not like Nissan, I know way too much about Nissan engine engineering however, their automotive platforms are wonderful, ideally, I hope Mitsubishi engine and Nissan chassis's, still up to this day 10 years out, Mitsubishi chassis's (from my 8g Galant) are world class
fox_brand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse GT/Spider
Joetor will become famous soon enough
^^^Fox_brand^^^ Hi - ...You stated: "I do not like Nissan, I know way too much about Nissan engine engineering", Can you share a little of your knowledge with all of us, and say what's wrong with any of the engines, example what would be wrong with the 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged 24-valve V6 engine stock...thank you!

Last edited by Joetor; June 14th, 2016 at 09:20 PM.
Joetor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT 6speed
skysky has a spectacular aura about
^^^Fox_brand^^^ I am excited about this myself. I will agree that Mitsu can come up with some quality engineering. Granted this 4G is a heavy car BUT there are no squeeks or rattles and the chassis punches you in the kidneys when the coilovers are cranked up tight. The chassis in terms of rigidity is pretty good. Look how many 4Gs that rollover and there is minimal roof damage outside of panel denting. I feel the opposite from you on the engine front though. I feel Nissan has some good stuff. The VQVHR is a really good design with the split block bottom, beefy rods and vvel. I understand they outsourced a while back with Renault though for the vq35de and some other stuff. What exactly don't you like about Nissan engine developement if we can ask? They pretty much are responsible for the developement of small displacement turbo engines. CA18, SR20, RB series, KA24 gets turboed, 280-300ZTurbo, whatever is in the Juke, the GT-R is only a 3.5L. Mitsu has been lagging in engine development, granted they aren't a private consumer auto powerhouse but they ran the 4g63T from 91-2007 and all they did was crank the boost up (speaks to a good original design though). The 6g series has been underpowered for the displacement and overall I don't feel they have been active in developing engines. I admit though, that could be from the smaller corporate budget size just being behind others.

One reason I am excited is the 370z hasn't changed since 2009. A new model is going to be designed but they don't have a chassis platform. This merger could result in an information sharing that lands Nissan with a new chassis and a new z car, maybe with engine options. Imagine a smaller Zcar with double wishbone 4 corners and a 4B series turbo mitsu engine. You could kiss the GT86 and Gencoupe goodbye
Injen intake, RRE short tube headers, Injen exhaust, Outlaw Engineering spacers, Quaife LSD, CM fx350 with steel FW, ViS CF OEM hood, XXR 527 wheels, Conti. Extr. Cont. DW 245/45/18 tires, Progress sway bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts and suspension bushings, RRE shifter bushings, Tanabe strut brace, MR coilovers, AEM FIC.
skysky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
resident crossplatformer

Name: -
Vehicle: 1999 Galant
fox_brand is a jewel in the roughfox_brand is a jewel in the rough
I'm back everybody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetor View Post
^^^Fox_brand^^^ Hi - ...You stated: "I do not like Nissan, I know way too much about Nissan engine engineering", Can you share a little of your knowledge with all of us, and say what's wrong with any of the engines, example what would be wrong with the 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged 24-valve V6 engine stock...thank you!
the VQ engines are inherently, weird, the 35's have desk instability that is such that boring the block, you can't use deck plates because that will warp the bores in such a way that you have a ton of blowby in a running engine, I had a long discussion about this with my machine shop about this because they at first thought my block was a Nissan block, it is not the case if you are using Darton Sleeves. All that aside, I have seen way too many SR20's blown up from shear incompetence in literally every way you can imagine

Last edited by fox_brand; June 15th, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
fox_brand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
good, mitsubishi, mpg, qui, whip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.