Available NOW...TUNING by BrianJ - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Vendors > BilletProof Racing (BrianJ)

BilletProof Racing (BrianJ) Custom tuning and electronics solutions for the 4G Eclipse. If you can think it, we can build it! Home of the PnP harness for the F/IC, Paddle Shifter Control Module, Foglight Control Module, and Tach Adapter Module.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Available NOW...TUNING by BrianJ

Hey guys,

I wanted to check interest/ideas on me offering what I call "online tuning" for those who have the FIC and a wideband installed. Basically, instead of you paying the dyno tons of money everytime you change something, you'll pay me to setup the FIC maps correctly, and to write maps for your particular application. Here's how it would work...

You'll install the FIC and harness and load the basic map that I'll provide. Then, you'll datalog a couple runs and send me the log file. I'll then analyze the data and re-write the maps for you...you'll load the new map and datalog again. You'll repeat this process untill we hit your target AFR.

I'll probably do something like a flat fee for, say, 3 months worth of personal tuning updates or something like that. So, for 3 months, you can change whatever you want with your setup and it won't cost anything more to re-tune.

I really think this could be a good thing, especially for newer users who don't really understand tuning concepts. This will allow them to see the basics and learn to tune on their own by asking questions and following the process...kinda like going to class for tuning.

Some people don't have dyno's near them or they charge $600 an hour...this would also be beneficial for those people.

So, what do you think? Questions? Comments?

Brian

Last edited by 360jeepboy; July 8th, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds good!

I think people should jump on this.

A question though.. Say I am tuning mine myself and just have a question. Would you charge me to ask it? lol

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Head ball buster!!

Vehicle: 06 stg2 S/C GT, EVO VIII
hacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant futurehacman has a brilliant future
Not a bad Idea, I just hope something never goes horribly wrong from something done by the tuner lol Nah everything with this should work out just fine it is just sometimes even sending info back and forth between two people can turn into a game of telephone(you know the one when you were a kid and info changed slightly from person to person lol), in which case could possibly cause a big problem or headache for you Brian. Even someone sending you back the wrong afr log after you send them a new map could cause issues for your re tuning, but alas I say go for it if you think the endless bitching and emails is what you would like to sign up for.

peace

Go home gunz, nobody here likes you.
hacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
I think Brian is counting on the fact that most people aren't complete dumb asses...

But then again some people shouldn't even be driving a car... much less tuning one.

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

What kind of price range are we talking about Brian?

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
Not a bad Idea, I just hope something never goes horribly wrong from something done by the tuner lol Nah everything with this should work out just fine it is just sometimes even sending info back and forth between two people can turn into a game of telephone(you know the one when you were a kid and info changed slightly from person to person lol), in which case could possibly cause a big problem or headache for you Brian. Even someone sending you back the wrong afr log after you send them a new map could cause issues for your re tuning, but alas I say go for it if you think the endless bitching and emails is what you would like to sign up for.

peace
LOL...do you have ANY idea how many questions/emails I answer now about simple things? It really wouldn't be any different except now I would actually be modifying maps and helping to get the car in check. The bottom line is that a map is just a map. You can ALWAYS go back to the last one that was working. This is just a tuning service, similar to many other programs people have for other platforms...except this one comes with alot of knowledge and the opportunity for the user to actually learn something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
What kind of price range are we talking about Brian?
I don't know yet, what's the average for one dyno tuning session? $300?
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

Name: Matthew
Vehicle: 2008 ECLIPSE GS
Matt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond repute
i dont know shit about tuning, but if at the end of the 3 months (or whatever) i learn enough to be able to tune my car myself; i would be all over it!!! Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. this isnt something i will diving into right away but will definitely want to do soon.

however i see hacmans point, this is something that can be extremely risky and to someone who knows nothing and possibly dangerous. personally im teaching myself and learning more everyday so i think im up for it.

Selling E4E rear and sides, will need to be refinished and repainted. Pm me
Matt-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

Matt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond repute
the shops i spoke with in dallas charge 100-150 per hour for tuning, dyno run is separate.

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
i dont know shit about tuning, but if at the end of the 3 months (or whatever) i learn enough to be able to tune my car myself; i would be all over it!!! Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. this isnt something i will diving into right away but will definitely want to do soon.

however i see hacmans point, this is something that can be extremely risky and to someone who knows nothing and possibly dangerous. personally im teaching myself and learning more everyday so i think im up for it.
It's really not as bad as you think. You just follow the instructions and leave the numbers to me (at least in the very beginning) and it'll be fine. You'll never get anything from me that could damage the vehicle. There's really not going to be anything that drastic going on, just some AFR tweaking to get your mixture right for your particular application. The biggest value I think in this is for the user to be able to see the changes, and see their effect and to learn to be able to do the tuning on their own.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
the shops i spoke with in dallas charge 100-150 per hour for tuning, dyno run is separate.
Sounds about right...figure at least a couple hours is what they'll end up hitting you for...plus the dyno...

I'll have to think a little about price...maybe have a couple different levels or something...
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

let me know when you get it all figured out

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

It would have to be cheaper then 300, cause no one is putting the car on a dyno, and they can't see the numbers.

You got to think.. Your not just paying all that money for the knowledge that the tuner is puttiing out, but also the power for the dyno, the actual cost of the dyno, time and labor.

So you could charge for time and knowledge, cause that is pretty much what your giving people.

I say 100 dollars a month sounds about right. I mean if someone can't get their car tuned in a month then something is wrong. Or you could just have a set price per car, or person.

If it was me, I would still have to pay to go to the dyno, cause I would want to see the difference in the numbers from before.

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

well of course dyno would still be needed, but dynos are cheap. i recall the shop quoting me 50-75 for 3-5 runs and if they install anything aftermarket you get a free run before and after (which i thought is cool). id rather pay a fee to brian and learn how to do it myself, then pay for a dyno to see the results.

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5
MarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond reputeMarkGuutz has a reputation beyond repute
ya i would be up for this. i can be your first customer for this haha
MarkGuutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Dynos are cheap? Man you crazy! 80 dollars for 3 pulls isn't cheap in my book.

And if the shop charges 200+ dollars an hour for labor I doubt that you getting them to put parts on will be a good deal. If it take them 5 hours to put headers on, which it most likely will, then dyno before and after, which will take another 2 hours for each run, then your looking at around 1k to 1200 bucks for a header install.... no thanks!!

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Everyone's increase in power will be different...it all depends on how bad each car is running to begin with. Some will be worse than others. The dyno is just a tuning tool to "see" gains...it isn't 100% necessary. We know from experience that 13:1 is a good number for power gains, but I don't need a dyno to tell me where we are, all I need is a wideband. The only thing that the dyno does that I can't is provide actual numbers...if numbers are that important then you'll have to go to a dyno...but no matter what the numbers are, you'll know the car is running the best it can because the AFR will be right.

I'm looking at this more from a training standpoint. You can pay $300 each time you go to have the car tuned and you can walk away with what is usually a shitty map done by a "tech" that doesn't know nearly as much as he led you to believe...or you can let me show you exactly what's going on and how to tune the car yourself so you can do it on your own and not have to rely on someone else to always do it for you.

I can't remember how many times someone has told me they'd like to tune their car, but they had no knowledge about it. Or they didn't have a dyno within a two hour drive of them, or that the only dyno around quoted them $600 to do a tune. There are several reasons that this would be beneficial to alot of people, but the number one reason is that you will have a good understanding of what's actually going on in your car and how to tune it. That's where the real value is.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

Oh I agree that it will help a lot with people tuning their own car.

I just want to know your price.

Old July 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

After some figuring, I'm looking at $300...even at $30 an hour that's only 10 hrs. worth of work and I'm quite sure I'll have way more than that...especially for the beginners with zero knowledge on tuning. It's the cost of one tuning session at a shop...

I can do a simple map in a few datalogging sessions, this is what they do on the dyno...however, this is WAY different from teaching the customer how to do it themselves. The time it takes to answer questions and explain the tuning process and principles to a beginner will be extensive. There needs to be a timeframe on the process, say 2-3 months. However, I've always been willing to help people out and I'll stick with you till you understand the process. If you get it in 2 weeks, then my obligation is fulfilled, if it takes a couple months then that's what it takes. Even after the timeframe, if you have a question I'm not going to ignore you because your "time is up".

I think it's a great deal for someone who want to learn how their car works, and to be able to tune themselves. At the very least you'll come away from this with a much greater understanding for what really goes on under the hood and how to make it do what you want it to do...and your car will run MUCH better in the process.

Brian
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Original GT N

1 Highscore

Name: Ian
Vehicle: 02 ZO6
Suprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud ofSuprsaiyjinbroli has much to be proud of
...I got first dibs.

Tell me when, where and how...

I'm shell shocked with dyno's around here man...

My wideband should be in this weekend.

Lemme know.

*PM Sent

Last edited by Suprsaiyjinbroli; July 7th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Suprsaiyjinbroli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Go Slow or Go Home

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 10

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 1980 Camaro Z28
rbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond reputerbk001 has a reputation beyond repute
I love this idea, maybe you could even throw in some sort of package deal where you buy the fic, harness, and "online tuning" all at once from you. I'd be down for that
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
SOMEONE HAD TO BUY A GS..

jb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond repute
this is a great idea...if anyone should get our money it should be you for all you've done for the community.

another plus I see, once you've done a few you'll have good baseline maps to work with for various mod setups...i.e. a map for a gt with i/e/h, and could simply offer those as a starting point for those who want a safe place to start.
jb4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse Gs
Jptalon will become famous soon enough
You know Im game for this. lol
D/S Rotors, F5 Cai, RRE Axle Back, RRE Udp, Progress Drop, 20" Chrome M-Classics, Nitto Neogens, Tints, 5K Watt Stereo, half done interior and some gauges to support some future mods. This Summer: Evo Brake Upgrade, Header, Aem Fic w/BrianJ's Harness, Finish Interior, Hids, Bushings & Bars.
Jptalon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk001 View Post
I love this idea, maybe you could even throw in some sort of package deal where you buy the fic, harness, and "online tuning" all at once from you. I'd be down for that
thatd be awesome, since i still have to get the FIC and harness.

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Trevor
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT Auto
Trevorcjones is just really niceTrevorcjones is just really niceTrevorcjones is just really nice
BrianJ, you have pushed me into buying the FIC and what not now. I was just going to wait until next summer but noooo. I will now begin saving my money. Let us know price wise. I dont want to throw a number out or anything. All I know is I do trust your knowledge enough to run your tunes.

Want some custom decals/overlays? - Click here
Trevorcjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

You're looking at the $300 mentioned above for the tuning. As for the package deal...MikeW at RRE has the harness and FIC package for a better deal than I can offer as I'm not a dealer for AEM directly...besides, he's been really good to me as a distributor for my harnesses, so if you need the FIC/harness you can get it from him for a great deal...I know he has them in stock so hit him up.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Im down Brian haven't installed the FIC yet but will be soon

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT, 93 VR-4
ussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of light
Hmmm If you do go through with this, I'm in...Had a few problems with shops around here so I have to start from scratch. I'll buy another set-up (sold the other) just so I can learn how to do this
ussoldier0227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

ussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of light
Also, we don't have a dyno anywheres near us so this will benefit me quite a bit.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've already decided to do it...so whoever wants it let me know and we'll get started...!
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Nice, ill buy the set-up again in about a week so we can get started. Just dropped another 1k in parts so I have to install these and then I can start this project
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Would you be able to set up a map for nitrous also?
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldier0227 View Post
Would you be able to set up a map for nitrous also?
For a wet kit yes...the map would essentially be the same as the N/A map for the same car...the only difference would be retarding timing for the spray.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

sounds great, im putting of buying new parts for the car for awhile (lost my job). but this will be in the future like i said, ill contact you then.

Old July 8th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #34 (permalink)

Just so this thread doesn't get off track, here's a new thread to ask payment and purchase questions...

http://club4g.org/board/vendor-forum...tml#post245591

You can continue to ask tuning questions here, but all payment questions should be directed to the new thread...Thanks!

Brian
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Retired User

jackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to behold
Will you be doing 1 person at a time during the 3 months, so that that person would get you all to themselves for the 3 month period. Or will you be doing like a shit load at the same time?
jackvuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

1 Highscore

He will prob do more then one, but he most likely will have a limit. I'm sure he doesn't want to overload himself, but I'm sure he is good enough to do more then one person at a time.

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #37 (permalink)

We'll see how it goes...so far no one has actually started so it's not an issue...
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Retired User

jackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to behold
I'll prob hit you up in september-october when I get my Headers + FIC put in by RRE.
jackvuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

I'll be here...
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

WOOOOT looks like be the first test subject...

ermmm is that good?

yes, indeed...

Tags
600, afr, application, fic, flat, good, harness, money, questions, setup, tune, tuning, uni, wideband, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.