Boot From a USB - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Community Chat > Computers and Gaming

Computers and Gaming Information Technology and gamer discussion.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired User

jackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to behold
Boot From a USB

Anyone know a SIMPLE way to boot a OS from a USB-stick/USB-Drive?

I found one from googling but it Looks pretty confusing. Anyone know of a simpler way to do this.

I have an Acer Aspire One, and obviously it doe not have a optical drive and it also doesnt have a OS installed, so I'm trying to figure out how to do this.

Here's a link to the tutorial I found:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900
jackvuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
I believe its F12 if you hit that during start up at the very first screen.Then you should be able to select a device to boot from. If not in the F2 menu you can set your boot priorities.

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired User

jackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to beholdjackvuu is a splendid one to behold
I know how to boot from devices, it just that you need to make the device BOOTABLE, and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to do with the USB, trying to make it BOOTABLE so that I can boot it via bios so I can format the system.
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Theta II

DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Well that I am not sure maybe Manny GT

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired User

Alright thanks for your help though.
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
^ 4G The Ulimate SUV!

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GT V6
carnage334 is a glorious beacon of lightcarnage334 is a glorious beacon of lightcarnage334 is a glorious beacon of lightcarnage334 is a glorious beacon of light
There is not a lot of OS's that can boot from a thumb drive. Its most likely going to be a linux OS. I know some that can boot from a cd and run like that. Its the same comcept. Just throw it in your thumb drive instead. Try google'ing bootable CD OS. Or thumb drive OS. Something along those lines.
carnage334 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired User

If you clicked the LINK, that's how you boot a XP OS SETUP install from a USB, i am asking if anyone knows of an easier way.
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Theta II

It would take a lil longer but I can send you a disc if you need one

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT SE
Zodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHunter78 View Post
It would take a lil longer but I can send you a disc if you need one
He is installing onto a computer without optical drive, a cd wont work.

Try these links:

Windows In Your Pocket : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware

Roderick van Domburg’s Cache Installing Windows XP from USB
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Professional Jackass

Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GT
moja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to behold
Try searching for Windows XP embedded. You can download free tools to format the drive, make it bootable, and create the files from your XP cd. Also look into nlite.
moja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Droganto

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
MannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really nice
So did he ever figure it out?

Follow us Facebook
'06 4G_GT (Old Ride) '09 370Z (New Ride)
MannyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired User

Nope, I ended up using an external CD drive, which I had to wait a week for Acer to send me the damn recovery disk, cause I didn't want to bootleg the system.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Droganto

Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
MannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really niceMannyGT is just really nice
Next time email me. I have the instructions and the program to create USB Bootable drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvuu View Post
Nope, I ended up using an external CD drive, which
I had to wait a week for Acer to send me the damn recovery disk, cause I didn't want to bootleg the system.

Follow us Facebook
'06 4G_GT (Old Ride) '09 370Z (New Ride)
MannyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired User

actually yeah I did figure out how to do it. Just that I didn't have the Acer recover on the USB. haha. I had a XP OS from a different disk, and it installed, but didnt recognize witht he system so i just hooke dup a usb optical drive and installed acer's disk

Tags
drive, how to, show

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.