How do you change airbag cover for steering wheel - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto)

Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) HowTos, Technical Data and Documentation for the 4G Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2007 eclipse gs
timpeters123 is on a distinguished road
How do you change airbag cover for steering wheel

hi i noticed my emblem in my steering wheel is fading. I am wondering what is the process to change the cover. I Purchased one on ebay without a airbag so i need to transfer airbag to this and place it back in steering wheel. Has anyone ever done this ?
timpeters123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jeremy
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Jeremy'sGT will become famous soon enough
The emblem is fading? Should have just painted it or dip it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
13% tint all around, black OEM headlights, red OEM taillights, DRL Delete, DeBadged, Dipped front bumper, 6000 K lows, 3000k fogs, black spoiler, megan ez street coilovers, 20mm spacers in the front, 25mm spacers in the rear.
Jeremy'sGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: The General
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GT
Dead Capricorn is on a distinguished road
Sigh... Looks like ill have to post a DIY... In February ish when i tackle this. Getting face cover dipped. Also tried to take apart quickly to see. (disabled battery cuz airbags but still be proceed with caution) there are 2 side torx screws holding it in. The upper/lower column covers have to come off. Theres a flippy tab that pops out underneath the steering wheel. Have yet to see wtf this is for. Quickly checking it out, i concluded this is some chinese puzzle ancient shit. When i tackle it ill post pics with tools needed. If you do it before me pls post pics! There is no info in forums...

Last edited by Dead Capricorn; December 24th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Dead Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 24th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

These 2 holes. Torx 8 or 6. I grabbed random ones until it fit. Make sure if u have torx. Bits at 2" length or 3" itll be easier. Sometimes they get put in on angles so if u have a shorty the the tip of ratchet socket hits steering wheel backing and you cant get it in good.

As for the flippy flap its an access port to a screw or something. Was too dark to see. Will take pics later when i do and go from there.

I got the face plate loose but it still was attached to the backing of the steering wheel. Im sure there are 4-6 screws holding it down if its anything like a Honda civic wheel... Altho that one i disassemble had no air bag. So easy. I just dont want to trash it to try and remove it...
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pics were too large in size. Re-uploaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141224_153209~2.jpg (77.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141224_152010~2.jpg (28.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141224_152004~2.jpg (23.0 KB, 33 views)
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, so apparently somewhere there are 4 outer bolts, 2 found, leaving 2 hidden. Then inside i believe there are a few more holding it together /completing the horn circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-12-24-15-49-08~2.jpg (51.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-12-24-15-49-26~2.jpg (45.5 KB, 28 views)
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Posting pictures tomorrow. Sry for the delay, stuff came up and my project got derailed. Anyhow,

DISCLAIMER:

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING DONT MESS AROUND WITH AIRBAGS. IF IT IS ILLEGAL IN YOUR STATE/PROVINCE TO REMOVE SAID AIRBAG YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHEN WORKING WITH AIRBAGS WORK OFF TO THE SIDE INCASE IT HAPPENS TO DETONATE YOUR FACE DOESN'T GO FLYING OFF.
MAKE SURE YOU RESET YOUR CARS COMPUTER PROPERLY AFTER REATTACHING THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE. (i believe it's turn key to ACC NOT ON and wait 30 sec then to OFF... Wait 20 sec, then to ACC for 30sec then ON and wait /let car idle for 2min, you will hear clicking. Thats the computer relearning everything. You will need to drive normally for about 20min or 2 full cycles. NO hard stops, NO hard acceleration! Drive like an old person. I generally take it for a spin for about 20-30km afterwards and its good to go. Theres a good post on how to do it. One of the Main 4g senior members posted it up.)

Steering wheel removal can be done under 5 min, but take your time to do it right.

I temporarily removed mine to paint the face cover and then reinstalled it before driving again.

FIRST, disconnect negative battery terminal and put it off to the side, NOT touching the body/other metals. Beside the battery is fine as you should have a battery cover/warmer.

Second, wait 15 to 20 min after disconnecting terminal before tacking SRS system. Pumping the brakes to remove any residual current works as well.

Third, remove the 2 upper/lower covers in between the steering wheel and dash cluster unit. Pushing on the sides together should make them pop from the plastic tabs. One side should pop and then remove. If that doesn't work then with a small flat head screw driver carefully work it in between the 2 covers and twist once the flathead is inserted partially, and then the 2 sides shoukd split.

Fourth, under the steering wheel is a rectangular tab/plastic cover. Get a flathead and slip it into the slot and push the tab towards the front of the car /to the floor matts, it should pop out. (originally i was afraid of breaking it as i thought it was attached but it just clips in, pops out, pops back into place)

Fifth, you will see a YELLOW electrical plug AND a GREEN plug. There is also a small rectangular black plug. First pull the GREEN tab down towards the floor amd then it should come undone, then unplug the yellow electrical plug from its plug-in. If i remember correctly it wont fully come undone, not yet. The black rectangular plug was on tight, i used the flat head and pried it away from the wheel (to the front of car/dashboard)

Sixth, there are 2 torx head screws holding in the steering cover face plate onto the wheel. They are located roughly where your steering wheel buttons for radio, skip track and volume buttons are (behind steering wheel but closer the the center.) once the holes are located use a size 12 torx and unscrew those 2 screws. 12-15 turns is plenty per screw and then they should both be loosened. The face plate/air bag cover will come right off.

BUT

Therr is one more yellow plug to unplug. This one seemed spring loaded, so just hold the upper one in place and squeeze the bottom one Down & unplug.

Now you should have JUST the steering faceplate cover/airbag in your hand. DONT be an idiot and drop it or mess around with it. It will not come apart as its 1 unit! You will detonate it and it will take your head off.

Posting bunch of detailed pics tmrw.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
You need to go to the dealer to reset your system and I doubt they'll do that knowing you did it yourself.
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's the pic and screenshot of how to reset system. For full details search "Reset ECU" should be first result.

You dont need to go to a dealership. Just follow the ECU reset procedure or else your car will run like Sh!t.
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Reset ECU instructions found here:

ECU reset

And here:

long ECU reset procedure

First link goes in full detail. Second link is the quick abbreviated version.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Oh if you are painting it, you should use an activator agent, and then apply color. After it cured, I added a clear coat plastidip over the top of it for extra protection. I used 1/2 a can to get a really good thick coat.

Also taping off the bottom parts in a cocoon style to prevent paint getting on your airbag/metal horn contacts is recommended.

Tags
airbag, back, change, cover, ebay, emblem, steering wheel, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.