How To Guide Replace Door Lock Actuator - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto)

Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) HowTos, Technical Data and Documentation for the 4G Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: VictorZ
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
zahhhkinnn is a jewel in the roughzahhhkinnn is a jewel in the rough
Replace Door Lock Actuator

Welcome to my first How to

I hope this serves his purpose and helps a lot of people in here.

Read the full instructions before attempting this.

Tools:

* Screw driver (- , + and T30 Tips)
* Ratchet and a small extension for it.
* 10mm to 16mm sockets we are only going to use 2 (10mm and the other one i donít remember xD but is in that range)

Time: 1 - 2 Hours

Number one rule: Be patient and enjoy fixing your car by yourself

Instructions:

* Disconnect the battery.

* First we remove the door panel, this is a very nice and detailed thread from DC13 so follow his instructions and come back for the next steps - How to remove door panels/and install new speakers.

* After removing the door panel we are left with this (image 1)

* We proceed to remove the door handle (image 1 - %red) youíll just slide it to the left, unplug the connector and it will be hanging by the 2 cables attached to it. We turn the door handle assembly upside down and we see this (image 2):

* To remove it just pull up of its holding place the black plastic parts (image 2 - %yellow) and turn the cables so it clears the plastic (image 2 - %green) and just slide them off.

* Then we start unplugging cables and popping out the wiring holders (image 3 - %purple)

* Remove the black plastic seals (image 3 - %orange) on both sides (just pull the plugs)

* Remove all (12 aprox) 10mm bolts (image 3 - %blue), WARNING: Do NOT remove these 2 (image 3 - %red) since those are from the glass motor assembly, you can distinguish them by its color.

* Remove the remaining 4 bolts (these are the ones i donít remember the size) two here (image 3 - %white) and two here (image 3 - %pink) NOTE: In the pink area there are 3 bolts, you just need to remove 2, remove the black plastic caps so you can locate all 3, you can use the image 5 to pinpoint the one that doesnt need to be removed.

* Pull out the plastic that holds the cables (image 3 - %black).

* We are ready to remove the metal sheet. I recommend two people for this step, you can grab it from these spots (image 3 - %brown) While one person pulls the whole assembly up (you have to lift it carefully until it clears the door panel), the other will route the cables out through the hole we early mentioned.

* We are left with this:

* The pictures of the inside door are not so clear so ill explain it using images from the manual.

* This is the inside of the door (image 6), to remove the actuator we will unlatch a little metal rod (image 6 - %red), unplug two connectors of the actuator (images 7 and 8), and then remove 3 screws (T30) to release the actuator (image 9).

* You have to wiggle out carefully the actuator so it clears the key cylinder (image 10) be careful not to break it (itís a thin plastic part).

* And then we take out the actuator (I didnít take pictures of the actuator but heres an image from a post of Wingo171:

* You can see in red the metal rod, the 3 t30 screws, in blue the one of the 2 connectors and in yellow you see the hole where the key cylinder fits.

* To reassemble follow this instructions backward.

Reassemble instructions notes:

* The first step while installing the new actuator is making sure the key cylinder is in the same position as the actuator ( | and | or - and - ).

* After completely installing the new actuator try your key to check that the key cylinder works.

* When putting the sheet metal back remember to slide in the actuator cables, donít bend them too much.

* Before putting back all the bolts connect the battery and the door panel control to try the new actuator, Also roll the window up so you can check that the window doesnít "bite" the plastic seal (image 1 - %gray), i didnít check and i had to remove all to fix it :\.

Well thatís it, i hope i explained everything and let me know if you have doubts.

And if you need other how to regarding the interior let me know...
zahhhkinnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Nice VERY detailed write up man! Hope I never have to do this but great to have on the forum if I ever do +erep!

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
Awesome write up Victor! = D

+ rep
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Replace side mirror

Its worth mentioning that these are the same steps for replacing the side mirror

*When you get to the image 5 just remove the 3 10mm bolts surrounding the cable (%red), follow the cable and unplug the connector (%blue) its a tight space back there.

*And then you remove the side mirror.

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Ronald
Vehicle: 2006/ECLIPSE/GT
LAFINESTS is on a distinguished road
About how much is the door actuator and is their any part number
LAFINESTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFINESTS View Post
About how much is the door actuator and is their any part number
Watch out and look for the exact year of your car, idk why there are a lot of part numbers.

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse Parts - Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % Off | Discount OEM Factory Direct Wholesale Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse

P/N :

R MR987598
L MN142181

R 5715A258
L 5715A257

R 5715A264
L 5715A263

To 10-1-08

R 5715A264
L 5715A263

From 10-1-08

R 5715A534
L 5715A533

R 5715A534
L 5715A533
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Enzo
Enzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahhhkinnn View Post
Its worth mentioning that these are the same steps for replacing the side mirror

*When you get to the image 5 just remove the 3 10mm bolts surrounding the cable (%red), follow the cable and unplug the connector (%blue) its a tight space back there.

*And then you remove the side mirror.

I need to replace my entire side mirror and after seeing your diagrams and instructions, I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated.

Do I have to follow all of these directions just to replace the mirror? Do I need to remove the glass and metal housing that it's attached to the door as well, or can that be left on? Can this be done by myself, because I don't have someone that can assist me?
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I need to replace my entire side mirror and after seeing your diagrams and instructions, I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated.

Do I have to follow all of these directions just to replace the mirror? Do I need to remove the glass and metal housing that it's attached to the door as well, or can that be left on? Can this be done by myself, because I don't have someone that can assist me?
It looks difficult but just take your time in all the steps and you will have no problems, the only part that requieres two poeple is where you remove the metal sheet, (but you can do it by yourself since i did it, just be careful with the actuator cables, with one hand lift the metal sheet and with the other pull the cables out).

i dont know if you can replace the side mirror without removing the metal sheet, its only 3 bolts and one connector, the connector can be unplugged by removing the speaker and see if you can try to get to the bolts from the speaker hole or see if you can see the bolts through the metal sheet holes and remove them or just remove all the 10 mm bolts of the metal sheet (gold color) and pull the sheet a little separating it from the door frame and see if you can reach the bolts from above, thats all i can think of man. Let me know if you need more assitance and good luck
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It looks difficult but just take your time in all the steps and you will have no problems, the only part that requieres two poeple is where you remove the metal sheet, (but you can do it by yourself since i did it, just be careful with the actuator cables, with one hand lift the metal sheet and with the other pull the cables out).

i dont know if you can replace the side mirror without removing the metal sheet, its only 3 bolts and one connector, the connector can be unplugged by removing the speaker and see if you can try to get to the bolts from the speaker hole or see if you can see the bolts through the metal sheet holes and remove them or just remove all the 10 mm bolts of the metal sheet (gold color) and pull the sheet a little separating it from the door frame and see if you can reach the bolts from above, thats all i can think of man. Let me know if you need more assitance and good luck
Thanks for your assistance. Mission accomplished!

Took a solid hour or two. Your instructions and pics are on point.
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I actually just noticed I'm having an issue after replacing the mirror. My power door locks aren't working.

I bought the car used and the passenger side never worked properly. I could hear it clicking and see slight movement on the lock itself, but it never worked.

Now for some reason my drivers side won't lock or unlock with the power button either. I connected the cables properly and double checked that. Any idea what could be wrong? I hear a faint click sound, but the lock isn't moving.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

what metod did you use to replace the mirror???

check the image 2: make sure if the actuator cables are lock in place
Old April 19th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: chingaling
Vehicle: 2006 GT Black
hollowtek is on a distinguished road
image links are all broken

But, if anyone else comes across this thread, save yourself a lot of time and headache by buying the door locks from Mitsubishi parts warehouse. You take off the door panel, window, and lock, and replace the entire locking system all at once. It'll take about 20 minutes per window.

Last edited by hollowtek; April 30th, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
hollowtek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Name: aaranpeters
Vehicle: bmw2015
aaranpeters is on a distinguished road
I guess I should say why I replaced both lock actuators, the motors were getting weak and especially in hot weather it wouldn't have enough power to completely toggle the locks to the opposite position. After replacing they are very strong and move forcefully to the lock/unlock position without hesitation. I opened up one of them but it is basically just a small DC motor, not worth trying to rebuild it in my opinion.Then i phoned the Locksmith and they came and replace my door lock acutators.
aaranpeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
I, as well as probably every other 4Ga driver out there, has the problem where my passenger side power lock isnt working. Another member mentioned changing the actuator doesn't actually work, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Did it fix it for you guys?

Also, retoasting the images would be a huge help
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

here are the pictures for the how to :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cimd96a94k...UB_4G.zip?dl=0

im sorry for the delay
Old March 10th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: FRANK
FrankRodriguez is on a distinguished road
Replacing motors is the best option i can say. If they are no longer working then replace them with the new one is good idea because it will ruin the efficiency also. Last month i had problem with door actuator , i frequently called Locksmith and replace it with the new one.I don't prefer big repairs because it cost the same as the replacement does.
FrankRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Richard
Vehicle: 2006 GT
Pinturicchio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
here are the pictures for the how to :

im sorry for the delay
By chance anyone made a backup of this? The folder is no longer available

None of my locks are working, they make a clicking noise when pressing the key, so I think I will have to go through this after checking fuses.
Pinturicchio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio, back, battery, black, bolts, car, club, door, door panel, handle, how to, install, interior, latch, lock, manual, motor, parts, pictures, plugs, remove, speakers, white, window, works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.