How To Guide Homemade AUX audio cable install - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto)

Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) HowTos, Technical Data and Documentation for the 4G Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jon
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Evocalypse is on a distinguished road
Homemade AUX audio cable install

So you've searched around and figured out that Mitsubishi was too cheap to just install an AUX cable in every car that has the AUX feature on their stereo menu, then called Mitsubishi only to find that they are not in stock. You don't want to wait a week ordering one online, and you have a ton of useless 3.5mm audio jack cables at your house that you would be willing to hack apart in order to get your phone or iPod hooked up to your killer Rockford system. Well you're finally in luck. I've searched and couldn't find anything like this so here you go!

Please refer to this thread in order to get everything off, route the wire the way you want to, and putting everything back together: how to: aux cable install

Here is what you need.

-Any stereo 3.5mm audio cable. Make sure it's not a R/L/mic cable because there will be an extra wire in there throwing you off.
-Electrical tape
-Wire cutters/strippers
-Extra wire (not too thick, maybe 18ga+)
-Razor Blade (ignore that poke thing in the picture and replace it with a razor)

Step 1: Label the red wire with an "R"

Step 2: Cut the ends off both audio wires

Step 3: Using the wire strippers, strip off about an inch of each of the audio wires exposing the common ground wire. Twist this exposed wire and pull the center audio wire away as shown. There should be a red side and a white side, but this is not always the case, which is why I had you label the red before cutting.

Step 4: Twist together both sides of the common ground wire to make one common wire.

Step 5: Strip about a half inch off each of the audio signal wires (red and white).

Step 6: Create 3 wires from your extra wire and label them R (red), W (white), and B (black) for reference. If you have these color wires sitting around just use them.

Step 7: Connect the R wire to the one originally labeled R, the W wire to the other audio signal wire, and the one labeled B to the big twisted common ground wire in the middle as shown.

Step 8: Using the electrical tape, tape the two audio signal wires so that none of the wire is exposed or poking out the bottom near the ground. It is important that the wire isn't touching the ground or you will get a short. I know most of you know this, but I'm making it idiot proof...

Step 9: Tape all of the wires together nice and snug so that the COM wire is completely covered.

Step 10: (For this step, you can refer to the other How To guide for removing the stereo and getting to the harness, and unclipping it to make the wires easy to insert into the harness) Here's the part you may not like. Unclip the wire harness from the back of the stereo, pull the tab that loosens the wires within the harness, use the razor blade or a small drill bit to hone out the inside of each of the wire slots so the wires fit through, and insert the wires the in the same locations as indicated in the OEM harness from the other DIY guide. (2 pics)

Step 11: Using the razor blade, slit the side of the wire exposing about a quarter of an inch of the wire. The side of the wire that should be slit is the side that is opposite of the clip that you pressed to release the harness from the back of the stereo. You should be able to make out where the slits are on the wire. They are facing the camera.

Step 12: Pull the wires back so that the tips are flush with the end of the harness as shown.

Step 13: Put everything back together and you should be all set!

It sounds amazing BTW... I tested it immediately after and had no issues. I'll let you know if I have any problems in the future since this was kind of a hack job. The signal wires don't need to be very thick since it is a very low power signal. Thanks for looking!

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you only have a 3.5mm jack on both ends (or male to female) and you cut one end, you should see 2 audio signal wires wrapped in the common ground. It's the same deal as described above after you cut the end off and strip the larger wire.

Last edited by Evocalypse; September 2nd, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Evocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Trey
Vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Chipmunk is on a distinguished road
3G Infinity Radio

Good right up man! I was wondering if anyone knew if i could do this with the 3G infinity system WITHOUT the 6 CD Disk Changer?
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 06 eclipse
Flaboy806 will become famous soon enough
As long as your car has the aux option this would work I'm not sure of the pin layout on that system but you should be able to find that in your stereo diagram

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Flaboy806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Flaboy806;1603401]As long as your car has the aux option this would work I'm not sure of the pin layout on that system but you should be able to find that in your stereo diagram

It only had the CD option, I've held it down before, and nothing has happened but at the same time, nothing was plugged in. And I know there is a way you can do an "aux" cord for the radio, using the CD plugs/wires/something, and then using a silent disk as a proxy.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 06 eclipse
Flaboy806 will become famous soon enough
Oh see this options works with our rf radio but we have an aux option even without the wire hooked up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Flaboy806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh okay, I didn't know that +1 to the 4G again for being better than the 3G

Tags
audio, aux, back, car, club, electrical, fit, flush, harness, how to, install, ipod, lighting, mitsubishi, oem, power, problems, rockford, short, show, stock, stock., system, white, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.