Manual to auto??? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Driveline

Driveline Discussions about anything from the transmission to the axle nuts go here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 GT-N Spyder 4.0
executive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to all
Manual to auto???

Has anyone done thaf swap? I searched and didnt see anything unless I overlooked that thread. But I am seriously considering doing it as I want to keep the car but im sick ofendless loop of bs with shops around here everytime I need a simple clutch changed. Also the lack of clutch and flywheel options and the ridiculous amount of traffic in houston causing continuous stop and go and shifting and the fact that its actually painful to my knee to keep shifting (moving dental eqipment and heavy ass xray machines has taken it toll on me already) soo I decided to possible go through with it, soon.

Before you say trade the car in, keep in mind my car isnt worth crap and I owe more on it that what alot of you paid for your cars used. Plus I cant get financed for another car right now. And depending on the cost, it might have been cheaper to have done my swap when I first wanted to instead of lettin myself get talked out of it.

I can get the transmission used from a junkyard for a few hundred, I hear the autos are pretty tough soo I shouldnt have to worry about if it bad and if it is, these places have warranties. Flexplate should be with it soo im good there. Then theres the ecu, thats not hard to come by and change, but what exactly needs to to be done about wiring? What needs to be added and how would I go about doing it?

The console needs to be changed soo im assuming it doesnt need to be from a Spyder, I can cut a new hole for the button for the top and heated seats or just get that plactic section new. But does the auto ecu need to be from a Spyder? I wouldnt assume soo since in my 3g it was just a 12v power wire going from the fuse box to the button to the top, and windows for down, no ecu involved. I would assume its the same here right?

Pedals! Do I need to move the brake over or are they in the same spot just one is smaller? Or just leave em alone.

New master cylinder, or plug off the tube that was for the clutch pedal?

Will the linkages just go through fine from the console to engine bay for the auto shifter or will I need to pull my dash completely apart to do work on the firewall to run them through?

Starter. Are they different or is it the same in the auto and 6spd?

Did I forget any parts? Anything that will need to be changed or adjusted? Any other ideas, tips?

I checked on prices and lkq/ pickapart said 300 for the trans, 50 for center console, 100 for ecu, soo the major parts are cheaper than a clutch kit. All id need a shop to do is bolt up the auto trans once I put everything else in. soo thats another 300. Still cheaper than a clutch that probably wont last a year. Soo......... I really want to get this done befor Dec.

Old October 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GS-MR
rdelaney89 is a jewel in the roughrdelaney89 is a jewel in the rough
If you decide to go through with this how much would you sell your clutch pedal for haha cause I wanna do the opposite switch.

Retired: rdelaney89's Still Blue Beauty

Current: rdelaneys 2011 WRX
rdelaney89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Darren
Vehicle: 13 g37x(now) 06 GT(then)
GotRice? is a jewel in the roughGotRice? is a jewel in the rough
is this your dd?
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member!

Name: Trevor
Vehicle: 07 Spyder GS6; AP1 s2000
trevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to behold
I'll trade you my automatic wire harness for your manual wire harness!

In addition to that you will need:
Automatic tranny mount, the one in front of the battery
Front and rear roll mount brackets, ones attached to the tranny
---if your auto tranny doesn't come with them

Automatic shift assembly for the console
Automatic shift cables
Master cylinder will work, just block the overflow the the master clutch cylinder
Your pedals should be fine, remove clutch pedal if you want
You may need a gauge cluster from an automatic
ECU
Radiator with tranny cooler, and all the lines that go with that
Starter is ok
There is a spacer between the engine and tranny, you will need one from an auto.

This is just a brain storm, the motor for my v6 swap was an automatic, so I have some experience with it when I swapped it to manual. The advantage I had, my chassis was already manual. I'm guess you'll put $1000 into it to swap the drive train

Who's selling their 4G next
Boosted V6 Swap, Ross Pistons 9:1 compression, H-beam Forged Rods, Comp Cams Valve Springs, Ripp Mods SDS Vortech V5G Stage II @ 8psi.

Last edited by trevroar; October 18th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
trevroar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Lancer Ralliart
CrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the roughCrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice? View Post
is this your dd?
^^^this is the most relevant reply.
CrAnSwIcK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

executive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to all
Yea. When its running this is what I drive everyday untill it breaks.

Soo I can just pull the mounts with the trans. How hard is it to swap the wiring harnesses
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Lancer Ralliart
CrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the roughCrAnSwIcK is a jewel in the rough
changing the clutch would be a heck of a lot easier to be honest, but you say you have injuries and owe too much on the car...Could you not sell it rather than trading it in?

If you're in no hurry, you can ask what you owe on it.

Honestly, speaking personally on my own behalf, it would not be over complicated, but you need to have all the parts ready to go, and be 95% sure it's all going to work etc. before you even get started. then it could be done in a reasonable amount of time if you have all the right tools, and a facility do it in (in case it rains or something ). And know wtf you are doing, of course lol.
CrAnSwIcK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/Gs-N
Chris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really nice
I'd be willing to trade I want a manual :O and I live in san antonio I was actually in Houston yesterday haha I met up with alboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspower View Post
i see kchu's swag has rubbed off on you sir

your car has finally found its way to my judgemental heart.
Chris05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Swaping the trans would be cheaper if I get parts used. I owe 16k, id never sale it for near that. The only thing I see that would be difficult is possibly changing the wiring harness
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member!

trevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to beholdtrevroar is a splendid one to behold
Hardest part removing the harness will be removing the intake manifold to unplug the the items under it, besides that its really simple.

Boosted V6 Swap, Ross Pistons 9:1 compression, H-beam Forged Rods, Comp Cams Valve Springs, Ripp Mods SDS Vortech V5G Stage II @ 8psi.
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Chris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really niceChris05 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by executive View Post
Swaping the trans would be cheaper if I get parts used. I owe 16k, id never sale it for near that. The only thing I see that would be difficult is possibly changing the wiring harness
swapping with me would be even cheaper

Quote:

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

^ hes a six speed. Wouldn't do you much good

Old October 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

^ Dream killer

Quote:

Old October 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have the same dream

Old October 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Moment of silence for auto transmissions...

Quote:

Old October 24th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Well I was going to a salvage yard to get my trans but when I get there its the one from a 3.0 3g. The guy said it should fit, I was pissed. Everywhere else wants almost 2k for one with really low miles. Ill keep lookin. But I need my car running in the meantime
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member!

Let me know when you want to exchange wire harnesses

Old October 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
The "Touring" Eclipse

Vehicle: 08 Eclipse SE
HOMESLICE is a jewel in the roughHOMESLICE is a jewel in the rough
just like chris 05 said. I'm sure someone on here will gladly trade you straight up for equal cars. There has to be someone who wants to get rid of their auto for a 6 spd. that would be the cheapest. and what are the shops saying about a new clutch? do they have to take out the motor to do the job im assuming?
Modifications: Injen 3" SES Exhaust, Injen CAI, Tanabe Upper/Lower Strut Bars, TWM STS & Shift Knob, Ingalls Torque Damper, Outlaw IM/TB Spacers/TB Bypass, Eibach springs and Sway Bars front and rear, Ichiba Wheel Spacers, Ralliart Eyelids, Tint
6 and above is true love, 5 and below they'll never know
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Contributing Member!

He owes money on his car, which means there's a lean on the car. Doubt anyone is going to want to trade for a car with a lean on it.

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Me owing money on the car means nothing. Not like its ever gonna get repoed. I just dont want to have to ship something like that. But if it saves money I might. Until then ill just throw a clutch in and go on looking for a transmission. I need it fixed fast since the transmission in my towncar went out the other day
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
Much easier and much cheaper to just change the clutch.

Engine does not need to come out, just the transmission needs to dropped out the bottom of the car. Basically it comes down to unbolting the rear roll mount, bell housing, intake piping, remove battery, disconnect transmission mount, speed sensor, cv axles, and the transmission pretty much falls out the bottom of the car. From there, a new clutch only takes about a half hour to an hour to put on. Putting everything back together and lining up the splines on the crank and transmission kinda suck but once the transmission is on everything goes back together quickly. I did my transmission by myself in like 8 hours and I was taking my sweet time making sure I did everything exactly right. I would definitely recommend a transmission jack if you're doing it yourself...
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
auto, box, brake, button, car, cars, clutch, ecu, engine, flywheel, fuse, good, heated, kit, manual, move, parts, seats, shops, sick, spyder, swap, transmission, wire, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.