Gears? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Driveline

Driveline Discussions about anything from the transmission to the axle nuts go here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Vader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond repute
Gears?

Ok i hear all my friends and other car guys talk about installing gears on their cars to give them better top end and better gear ratios. What are our gears? And can we get am ones put in? This is one thing i never really learned about or got into. Any info on this or am companies that would sell gears would be sweet.
2006 Kalapana Black Eclipse GT, Sportronic, Blackout Badge, Grill Delete, Ralliart Eyelids, No DRL, 3" Header Back Exhaust Dump off the Rear Axle, Momo Shift Knob and Pedals, H13/H11 8K HID, LED Interior Lights, 35% Tint, Dual Rockford Fosgate P1 In A Custom Sub Box/ T400-2 Amp...Coming Soon: Painted Rims (Black)
Vader6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
Transmission gears? Timing gears? I would imagion trans gears but I haven't heard or anyone replacing them.
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Vader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea tranny gears.....like 4.10's, 4.77's etc.
2006 Kalapana Black Eclipse GT, Sportronic, Blackout Badge, Grill Delete, Ralliart Eyelids, No DRL, 3" Header Back Exhaust Dump off the Rear Axle, Momo Shift Knob and Pedals, H13/H11 8K HID, LED Interior Lights, 35% Tint, Dual Rockford Fosgate P1 In A Custom Sub Box/ T400-2 Amp...Coming Soon: Painted Rims (Black)
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Dark Side

No one?
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 06GT/6, 09GT/6, 01GT-T/5M
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
http://club4g.org/board/183515-post82.html

FYI, ours is the F6MBA (Mitsu part no.)

The standard industry SKU for the tranny is the BG6.
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader6 View Post
Yea tranny gears.....like 4.10's, 4.77's etc.
Do most of your buddies drive RWD american cars? Stuff like mustang, camaro etc.?

I think most people were talking about rear end final drive ratios...this doesn't really apply to us, you'd have to crack the tranny open to do any type of gearing change...
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS!!!

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 GT-N Spyder 4.0
executive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to allexecutive is a name known to all
Maybe he wouldnt mind doing it. If he does id love to know the results
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Nah i mean i know the american cars do it ALOT. But i was maining talking about my friends s2k. We have a grudge match going on. He has test pipe and CAI, along with being a shit ton lighter and m/t where as i have CAI, full exhaust, more weight and a/t. And we are basiclly even with one pulling the other with new mods. He was talking about full exhaust or 4.77 gears. He was saying 10hp with exhaust and tune but 4.77 gears were equal to like 30 hp. Soooo i was wondering if we could do the same.
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Do most of your buddies drive RWD american cars? Stuff like mustang, camaro etc.?

I think most people were talking about rear end final drive ratios...this doesn't really apply to us, you'd have to crack the tranny open to do any type of gearing change...
How hard would that be or how much would it cost to have it done on an a/t FWD car?
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
The S2K is still RWD, so he is talking about the final drive ratio. FYI, the higher the number the lower the ratio. 4.77 will give you a lot of low end grunt, but it will take away from your top end a bit. Vise Versa, a 3.55 gear will give you a better top end, while taking away from some of the tq on bottom.

It's called a ring and pinion, and I've installed a many of them before.

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
The S2K is still RWD, so he is talking about the final drive ratio. FYI, the higher the number the lower the ratio. 4.77 will give you a lot of low end grunt, but it will take away from your top end a bit. Vise Versa, a 3.55 gear will give you a better top end, while taking away from some of the tq on bottom.

It's called a ring and pinion, and I've installed a many of them before.
Yea i know all the cars are rwd. I guess we can't do this and if we can it's to much of a hassle.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
Gearing has nothing to do with creating horsepower. It's about making horsepower usable by making modifications to make your gears "longer". Or shorter... though I wouldn't know why you'd want to do that in the lower gears, especially if you're planning on tacking on more power.

The GT's gear ratios are pretty good as is, and 6th gear, as you can see, is stellar. The only thing limiting the engine from going much faster is the rev limiter.

But that's yet another story. And I wouldn't know why you'd ever feel the need to get to 200mph.
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
I'm just pissed that mitsu made first gear so short. For fucks sake, they could have easily shaved .2 of a second off of our 0-60, by making first last through 60mph. First hits redline in the six speed at like 52mph or something like that, so annoying!! I guess its just another reason our car is underrated. A slightly longer first would make our wheelspin much easier to modulate.

In most top sportscars ( whose 0-60 is under the microscope ), 1st goes clear through 60. This cuts out a complete shift, and makes for better numbers.
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Just be happy we have a better first gear than our other 6G72 counterparts, man Either way, I really don't think the car is "underrated" because of the transmission. In fact, it's the main reason we exceed expectations!

Like the link comparo suggests, we have a better 1st gear than even the 3000GT. Factor in less drag on two output shafts, and more comfy top end RPMs to spare, from 4th gear even!

Yet another reason I'm hard-pressed against letting go of this gearbox. Fucking AW should have made this box adaptible to differential/transaxle options like Getrag does. I really wish Mitsu didn't let go of that relationship (not that the BG6 does extremely well for a FWD).
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001/mitsubishi/eclipse
mindlessanime has a spectacular aura about
^ nerd... go get laid or something LOL

you know i love you lawrence and your nerdy ways LOL...

yall take note this cat it a genius at what he is talking about.. i would know i run to him in a heart beat for car advise

bob monty
mindlessanime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswave View Post
I'm just pissed that mitsu made first gear so short. For fucks sake, they could have easily shaved .2 of a second off of our 0-60, by making first last through 60mph. First hits redline in the six speed at like 52mph or something like that, so annoying!! I guess its just another reason our car is underrated. A slightly longer first would make our wheelspin much easier to modulate.

In most top sportscars ( whose 0-60 is under the microscope ), 1st goes clear through 60. This cuts out a complete shift, and makes for better numbers.
It's been cold here so I haven't beat on it in awhile...but I don't think my sporty gets anywhere close to 52 in first...
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
The O.G.

8 Highscores

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GT-TT
horse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond reputehorse-eater has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, no it doesnt. its down around below 40 if i remember correctly...

i have only seen purpose built race cars with 3 or 4 speeds who ride 1st til 60 or higher...

thats why there are more gears going into trannies now. so they can have a super fast 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. then they have 3 or more gears to get to a decent top end.

Panty dropping ability courtesy Portland Speed Industries, Road///RaceEngineering, Delta Cams, Custom Import Heads, Comp Turbo
horse-eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
My stock 280z does close to 50 in first.
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
car, cars, sell, top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.