Paint Damage - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Eclipse Graveyard

Eclipse Graveyard Crashed, wrecked, totaled we want to hear and see about it. Come with pictures to share.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
Paint Damage

Long story short my pops was moving my car for me ( being a nice guy), and he thought he was in first gear. He was actually in Reverse ( must have pulled the ring like a dope, and backed into my bros car.

I now have about a nickel sized chunk of paint messed up, through the clear down to the primer. I went to get quotes for the fix, and with getting some color blown in and clearing the whole bumper, the dealer wanted $650. I took it to a smaller shop in town and they quoted me $300 ish with me bringing them the bumper.

Needless to say I'm angry. I don't have the money for this now and its going to bother the crap out of me. Can't be mad at my dad because it was an accident. And he feels horrible. Ahhhhhh. I don't even want to post pics because it makes me angry.
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
The dick of JUSTICE

Vehicle: 2005 Galant ES
psy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond reputepsy-q has a reputation beyond repute
have you tried hitting him?
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT SE
Zodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to beholdZodiac is a splendid one to behold
Get in his car and back into his garage
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Da1NoNlY

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
da1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to behold
he did the damage he should pay..........its only fair. im sure if it was the other way around and you messing up his car, he would have you get it fixed
2-Tone HOK Metalic Flake Paint-AIT Blackout V.1 Front Bumper-IT Carbon Side Skirts & Rear Lip-Evo 3 Front Canards-OEM Carbon Hood-Custom Halos W/Strobes-AEM CAI-Magnaflow Catback-Brat Box-Megan Springs-Tanabe Underbrace-Cusco Strut Bar-Progress Rear Sway Bar-Ripp Motor Mount-Custom Trunk Eclosure-Engine Dress-up Kit
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
We'll see. Its only paint. And it gives me an excuse to take the front bumper off while I'm at it and have some custom paint done ralliart style
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
Dude $350 for a repaint of a spot! That's a raping when I got rearended the guy hit me paid $600 for a new bumper,painted primed and installed. I'd shop around aittle more
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lathe Master

the $650 was a dealer quote with them taking off the bumper. I'll keep looking around.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Autobody and Paint dood

Name: Rob
Vehicle: 2010 chevy camaro
eclipse628 is a glorious beacon of lighteclipse628 is a glorious beacon of lighteclipse628 is a glorious beacon of lighteclipse628 is a glorious beacon of light
i do autobody work and paint for a living.. that dealer price is a pure rip off.. i would charge you between $200 and $300 to paint the bumper.. maybe a little less to blend the spot if it could be done.
eclipse628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
U should get a quote and take it to the insurance company. Make them pay, after all that is why u pay insurance... Right. Then use that Monet to get the 09 bumper and get it painted. Shouldn't be moe then about 400 for the bumper and paint job.

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Just got off the phone with Geico. My deductable is $500. Which means I'm getting it in the ass good on this one. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
yeah paying 500 for them to cover a 300 job isn't the greatest deal in the world

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
agreed!

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Step Up or Step Aside

Name: Anonymous
PopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud of
I'm gonna throw this out there only because I know that rolling around with any kind of damage, no mater how little, would bug the shit out of me just as it is you. For less than $100 bucks you could fix it yourself. Find the your color code and determine the color you want to use for the ralliart color, then go to a place like Automotive Touchup and pick up a can of car color, a can of ralliart color, a couple of cans of clear, some wet sandpaper, some masking tape and some prep solvent at $20, $20, $16, $5, $3 and $3, respectively. That's $67 plus what ever shipping is.

Now find yourself a controlled environment where the temperature is optimal for painting and where wind, dust and floating debris won't be a factor. Next arm yourself with some patience and make lemonade out of the lemons you were just handed. With a little money and time you'll be knocking out those 5.5/0-60 times out ralliart style.

Last edited by PopsGT; October 28th, 2009 at 12:41 AM.
PopsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lathe Master

I wish I had the guts to try it myself, but I'm just too much of a perfectionist. I may try the front bumper myself, but that is probably the extent of it. I have a compressor and spray gun, just have zero experience with auto paint. I'm worried that it will look obvious, and even more worried about its durability over time.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lathe Master

PS the pops agreed to pay for the paint work.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Sully's Detailing

Vehicle: 2008 Raider
sullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswave View Post
Long story short my pops was moving my car for me ( being a nice guy), and he thought he was in first gear. He was actually in Reverse ( must have pulled the ring like a dope, and backed into my bros car.

I now have about a nickel sized chunk of paint messed up, through the clear down to the primer. I went to get quotes for the fix, and with getting some color blown in and clearing the whole bumper, the dealer wanted $650. I took it to a smaller shop in town and they quoted me $300 ish with me bringing them the bumper.

Needless to say I'm angry. I don't have the money for this now and its going to bother the crap out of me. Can't be mad at my dad because it was an accident. And he feels horrible. Ahhhhhh. I don't even want to post pics because it makes me angry.
Make him pay for it. He did it, why would you pay for it
sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Sully's Detailing

Vehicle: 2008 Raider
sullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Dude $350 for a repaint of a spot! That's a raping when I got rearended the guy hit me paid $600 for a new bumper,painted primed and installed. I'd shop around aittle more
You cant just paint that area there no hard edge to stop on if you dont paint the whole hting you'll always see the painted spot
sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Step Up or Step Aside

PopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud ofPopsGT has much to be proud of
Quote:
I wish I had the guts to try it myself, but I'm just too much of a perfectionist. I may try the front bumper myself, but that is probably the extent of it. I have a compressor and spray gun, just have zero experience with auto paint. I'm worried that it will look obvious, and even more worried about its durability over time.
Valid concerns. Unless you know of a shop that hands down provides quality service and workmanship taking your ride to a shop is always a gamble. That said, is this something that a mobile repair service could fix? A service similar to Collision on Wheels.

I've used services like this on several occasions and surprisingly enough I was quite pleased of how well things came out. Not perfect mind you, but good enough that you had to go looking real hard to find where the damage was. I was able to get things repaired for about $150 - $300 depending on the amount of damage and how many colors of paint were involved. Each repair consisted of fixing and painting scratches on the front bumper of one my cars.

Granted it's a gamble, but you don't have to leave your car at a shop because they come to you. And it should keep costs down. Just something to consider.

Quote:
PS the pops agreed to pay for the paint work.
I'm not surprised at all. As bad as this damage is bugging you, it's bugging your pops just as bad, if not more.

Last edited by PopsGT; October 29th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lathe Master

So that back bumper, not so fun to take off. All the plastic has to come out of the trunk, and the sub, and the tails. Grrrr. I hope the front bumper is this much fun!!
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Theta II

DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Front bumper is a bitch rico. There are 2 bolts up under the headlight in the wheel well they are a lot of fun. Espically if you have big hands, and watch for the plastic rivets plan for a lot of them to break

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Da1NoNlY

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
da1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to beholdda1nonly is a splendid one to behold
the front is a pain in the ass with where the location of the bolts up where it connects to the fender.
2-Tone HOK Metalic Flake Paint-AIT Blackout V.1 Front Bumper-IT Carbon Side Skirts & Rear Lip-Evo 3 Front Canards-OEM Carbon Hood-Custom Halos W/Strobes-AEM CAI-Magnaflow Catback-Brat Box-Megan Springs-Tanabe Underbrace-Cusco Strut Bar-Progress Rear Sway Bar-Ripp Motor Mount-Custom Trunk Eclosure-Engine Dress-up Kit
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Step Up or Step Aside

Are you going to do the work yourself or our you taking the bumper to a shop? Also, it sounds like you're getting them both painted. Are you going for the ralliart style?

Definitely want pics when this is all said and done.
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Theta II

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1nonly View Post
the front is a pain in the ass with where the location of the bolts up where it connects to the fender.
Yeah those are the two I was referring to under the headlight wow was that a pita

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

Why do you have to take out your sub? When I changed my rear bumper my sub didn't have to be moved.

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Idk about you, but I couldnt get the left rear trim piece out without pulling the sub. Maybe I was just pulling shit apart so fast that I got outa hand lol. Regardless, fucker is out now!!

Front bumper is getting a chip fixed and ralliart paint job in gloss black.
Rear is getting fixed and ralliart paint as well ( lower part).
Car will look badass.

I'm taking full advantage of my profession on this one. I know a few guys that work at the auto body repair school up the road, and his students will do the work for me for the price of paint. Show quality results for a fraction of the cost. I love it. Pics to follow, but she'll be on jackstands. Up for the winter.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lathe Master

And I have metric ratcheting wrenches, hopefully that will help me.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Vehicle: 2009/Galant/Ralliart
Infliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to all
how long til the work is done?
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Its getting dropped off Monday. Could be a week depending on what they have going on. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

I hope those kids don't fuck up your car!!

Old November 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lathe Master

From my tour of their facilities and the work that I was shown, its show quality stuff. I don't have much to loose here.
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Update:
Front and rear bumpers are off. Popped out the reflectors from the back, had to take the mitsu emblem off the front without breakin it which turned into a bitch, fogs and bezels had to come out, and the grills. Overall easy to do, just tedious.

I think I'm going to have them fill the holes in the front bumper, so I can do a custom bracket or something.
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Paint shop has the goods! They agreed to fill the front bumper holes, do the gloss black ralliart style front end, and do the gloss black accent on the rear bumper. Will look sick with the fog bezels done gloss black, the fuel door gloss black, black projectors, and my gloss black rims. Should be getting the stuff back the week of thanksgiving. Pics to follow!

PS Kennan yeah I realized long after I pulled the plastic that I could have easily got the bolt for the tails off through the access panel! But really who needs an access panel when you can pull off unnecessary parts!!!
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

Lol yea I can see it now.

Bills mom: "hey Bill, what are you doing?"

Bill: "Just got to change my spark plugs mom"

Bills mom: "But honey, Why is the Transmission out of the car?... and.. and the hoods off, and..... are those the seats over there in the corner!?!"

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #34 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

I think I like flat black better then gloss black.

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Hahah dude the funny thing is that half the time thats exactly how it is!!
Sometimes I think I like taking things apart for the sake of knowing how to put them back together!! I have some sick projects that you guys are going to love. Stay posted
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #36 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

2 Highscores

Sweet I can't wait!

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #37 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
Lol yea I can see it now.

Bills mom: "hey Bill, what are you doing?"

Bill: "Just got to change my spark plugs mom"

Bills mom: "But honey, Why is the Transmission out of the car?... and.. and the hoods off, and..... are those the seats over there in the corner!?!"
That's true, usually how it goes!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Step Up or Step Aside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
I think I like flat black better then gloss black.
Or there's a satin black with a slight pearl effect. That's what comes stock on the '09s.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #39 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Vehicle: 2009/Galant/Ralliart
Infliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to allInfliction is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGT View Post
Or there's a satin black with a slight pearl effect. That's what comes stock on the '09s.
.. orrrrr .. a semi-transparent stain? .. maybe not. im bored
but yeah, if im being completely cereal. i agree with his choice to go gloss black. and you would too if youve seen his car in person. yes you!
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Lathe Master

I'm just a shiny kinda guy.

Tags
accident, blown, bumper, car, fix, gear, long, money, paint, pics, shop, short

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.