Intake sucks water..Blown engine? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Eclipse Performance

Eclipse Performance Eclipse Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Bob
4gcarbon will become famous soon enough
Intake sucks water..Blown engine?

Asked my dealership if installing an intake would void the warranty.
He said usually it will not, but he has had a few customers in the past that blew their engines because the intake sucked in too much water during heavy rainfall, and that is not covered by mitsu.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it themselves.
Is there an intake that will prevent something like this from happening?

Is buying an intake really worth the hp gains. Is it a noticeable difference or a waste of money?
4gcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
get a bypass valve and you will be fine.
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hard Core 4ger

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse GT-SC
joeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant futurejoeyb has a brilliant future
it's for sure worth the money. just don't drive through a flood. get a rain hood or bypass valve like travis says if you are that worried about it. K&N makes a SRI that's enclosed in a heat sheild that will not intake water unless it's a tsunami.

~347 WHP / ~309 WTQ / ~6 lbs Boost
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Quebec Light Source

Name: Olivier
Vehicle: Lancer ES/AWC 2012
zedawg has a spectacular aura about
you can't really blow your motor this way...the MAF will shut your engine down before anything blows
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
You can blow your engine this way. It doesnt take that much water into the engine to hydrolock it...
However it takes a LOT of water / rain to get it sucked in through a CAI... The filter sits at least 8" from the ground!
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Got Stance??? i dont :(

Name: Dann
Vehicle: 2010 Evo X MR
MFTK is a jewel in the roughMFTK is a jewel in the rough
blew the engine in my 00' neon with CAI
seized up and when i tried to get it started after i got whatever water i could out i blew the block lol oil and antifreeze everywhere... switched the stock intake back in then called the dealer and insurance company it was all cover
MFTK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Agustin
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS/SE
agustin is a jewel in the roughagustin is a jewel in the rough
I have a Injen Cold Air Intake for my Mitsubishi 2008 Eclipse SE(2.4L 4Cyl. Manual) (SP1870), does anyone know if an AEM Air Bypass Valve will work? and if so what size ?
agustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
-cruzer-

Name: joeyc
Vehicle: 2006 ECLIPSE GT
JoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to all
i have an aem i just bought the rain cover for it its just a sleeve that goes over filter!!!
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
tUNED.

Name: Brian
Vehicle: 09 4G69
FeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to all
^ do those hydro sleeves restrict any airflow ? and for people with a dc cai, can a bypass valve still work. . it is a 1 piece cai

Eagle + Manly fully built 4G69 8.5:1 87.5 106mm stroker _ RPW stage 1 camshaft _ Full custom Borla Exhaust _ Tuned _ AEM gauge pod
FeaRlezZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin View Post
I have a Injen Cold Air Intake for my Mitsubishi 2008 Eclipse SE(2.4L 4Cyl. Manual) (SP1870), does anyone know if an AEM Air Bypass Valve will work? and if so what size ?
No, the AEM bypass valve will NOT work with your INJEN intake.

Don't know why, but even RRE says it won't work.
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
OPP

Name: LF
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/GT/Premium
eclipse_6g75 will become famous soon enough
my car sucks water and is alive
Mods: aero kit, vision eyelids, SE spoiler, Fujita CAI, OBX LTH, magnaflow cat, magnaflow catback 2.5 exhaust, RRE motor mounts, ingalls stiffy, tints, black front,rear and roof end, oem spoiler painted matched to car, HID 10k on head, 2.5k nokyas fogs , ralliart emblems, eibach pro kit.. gun metal painted oem wheels.
eclipse_6g75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
tUNED.

FeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse_6g75 View Post
my car sucks water and is alive
ever gone into limp mode or anything ??

Eagle + Manly fully built 4G69 8.5:1 87.5 106mm stroker _ RPW stage 1 camshaft _ Full custom Borla Exhaust _ Tuned _ AEM gauge pod
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Huge Member

Name: Steve
Vehicle: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Steveo will become famous soon enough
Here's what you do..if you happen to go threw a bad puddle and u suck in water try and get it home or turned off right away. Let it sit overnight to dry up then get an oil change and have your fuel system cleaned out..u will be fine this exact problem happened to me and the guy said I did everything right most important is the oil change and fuel cleaner..u could see it when u rev the engine after the fuel treatment..deff get on and not a short ram..just be careful

Full Bolt On + Zex 75 wet shot ~ 353WHP~~327lbs TQ
http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...ates-ride.html
- SOLD-4 2004 Cadillac CTSV
RIP Matt (bullet06)
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
tUNED.

^ yes changing oil is obviously important . . but yes just b cautious when raining. but the placement of the filter really isnt that bad . . atleast on the auto gs it is well protected

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Name: 370z's are pieces of lateral shit
Vehicle: 2012 nissan frontier v6
snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
i dont know why you would want to put a bypass valve on a cai except for maybe a quick install on rainy days in which case i would make it a shorty instead.otherwise that is restricting suction at the filter.its like having two air filters,1 small,1 big on the same pipe.if i was running a cai and happened to get water on it and had to shut the engine down across town say at 10:00 at night on the side of the road on the way home from work scenerio.what an inconvienence LOL
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
OPP

Name: LF
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/GT/Premium
eclipse_6g75 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRlezZ View Post
ever gone into limp mode or anything ??
a lil failure in the rpms at idle but was okay after a rev to 5,000 rpms or something
Mods: aero kit, vision eyelids, SE spoiler, Fujita CAI, OBX LTH, magnaflow cat, magnaflow catback 2.5 exhaust, RRE motor mounts, ingalls stiffy, tints, black front,rear and roof end, oem spoiler painted matched to car, HID 10k on head, 2.5k nokyas fogs , ralliart emblems, eibach pro kit.. gun metal painted oem wheels.
eclipse_6g75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

Name: Low Life
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
kazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedawg View Post
you can't really blow your motor this way...the MAF will shut your engine down before anything blows
false.
water lock has happened before to people on this site. Jrods wife hydrolocked her 4g.

Just
lower Slam the shit out of
It

-----Break free from the chains of conformity-----

"There are a lot of us who are caught up in this hell we all live in,
Content with being blinded by rules and judgment.
We live in a world where it's more okay to follow than to lead.
In this world being a leader is trouble for the system we are all accustomed to.
Being a leader in this day and age is being a threat." - Common

Last edited by kazman; July 20th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/gs sport
terapio is just really niceterapio is just really niceterapio is just really nice
Yah for auto GS, it is well covered especially if you have fog lights....I have DC Sports CAI and it will be great if i get the same response from my dealer about have CAI and not voiding your warranty.
terapio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Name: James Alphadawg Jones
Vehicle: 2007 eclipse spyder gs
229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light229boss is a glorious beacon of light
auto gs's rule!
229boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
you dont need to suck up water for the dealer to void your warranty with a CAI... ask me how i know...
if your engine blows for an unclear reason, they will most likely blame it on the CAI sucking water even if you live in the Sahara desert...
then it's up to you to prove them wrong...

having said that, unless you drive through big puddles, you'll be alright...
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
tUNED.

i agree with the auto gs guys. . our cai's are very well protected. . we would literally have to drive through a 6" deep puddle to possibly get water

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Pete
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/Spyder/GS
Pedro is a jewel in the roughPedro is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRlezZ View Post
i agree with the auto gs guys. . our cai's are very well protected. . we would literally have to drive through a 6" deep puddle to possibly get water
That rocks I just bought my CAI and I live in Cali, good to know I won't have to hide from the rain, just the occasional puddle.

http://www.myspace.com/socal4g
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 2011/GT/6MT
synthetic will become famous soon enough
The dealership put my injen cai on it, they also installed the hydralock filter on it to keep water from getting sucked in. I also make a point to not puddle jump my car. general driving in rainy weather with a cai should be fine if its mounted in a good spot. mine sits in the bumper, right behind driver side fog light.
synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
tUNED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
The dealership put my injen cai on it, they also installed the hydralock filter on it to keep water from getting sucked in. I also make a point to not puddle jump my car. general driving in rainy weather with a cai should be fine if its mounted in a good spot. mine sits in the bumper, right behind driver side fog light.
did u seriously pay the dealer to install a fucking intake

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Quebec Light Source

if you don't want to void your guarantee its the only way to get a intake in your car...personally i don't even care about the guarantee because i can do anything on that car by myself
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Name: Rob
Vehicle: 2006 GT
jarhead0321usmc is a jewel in the roughjarhead0321usmc is a jewel in the rough
How much did the stealership charge you to do that? Probably the third easier mod I've done on my car. But I bet they still charged you 150 to do it.
jarhead0321usmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
tUNED.

i wouldnt b surprised if they charged $850

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

here in Canada i believe i was quoted around $ 450 for install... i laughed, and turned around... and dealer-installed or not, if they think that your CAI caused your engine to blow up, you can kiss your warranty good-bye...
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
tUNED.

$450 . . one day im gonna go to the dealer with a list of parts just to see wut they charge for install

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Quebec Light Source

i know someone who paid the stealership 700$ for HID kit + installation
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
tUNED.

floor mat install: $75

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

Name: Pete
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/Spyder/GS
Pedro is a jewel in the roughPedro is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedawg View Post
i know someone who paid the stealership 700$ for HID kit + installation
Holy daddy bag! Tell that pedobear I'll do it for him for 1/2 off with a free slap in the mouth!!!

http://www.myspace.com/socal4g
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
For folk who possess common sense, having a CAI poses no problem whether it's raining or sunshining.

For all others, driving in the rain with a CAI installed will not harm your engine. Driving through a two or three-inch puddle poses no harm. Driving through FN Lake Erie or the Mississippi River will Hydro-Lock your engine, i.e. if it looks deep, don't go through it, go around it!!

Clovis does not have any storm sewers, they use the roads to direct storm water. I drive slowly through six-inches of water all the time, and have yet to hydro-lock my engine. I'm sure if I didn't use my common sense and drove through these rivers of water going 25 or 35 mph, I'm sure I would hyro-lock, but common sense says slow and easy... and once again, if it looks like the Mississippi, don't go thtough it, go around it!!

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
Woody

Name: Nick
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
NWood92 is on a distinguished road
Feel like I'm gonna get bashed. So, If I get the Hydroshield, I won't need a Bypass?
NWood92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #35 (permalink)
tUNED.

ur better off with the hydroshield than the bypass. i have done tests with the hydroshield and it works very well

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
"that ricer guy..."

Name: Zach
Vehicle: 2008 eclipse GT cpe 6MT
oharemtnbikerboy is on a distinguished road
Don't get this... as my miata just got SWALLOWED by water. pulled the intake and plugs, waited a few days, and it started up like a charm. Well, kinda, with new noises, but it's all hoses, and my valvetrain sounds like a diesel. but a fair amount of water got into the engine, and it's all good.
oharemtnbikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #37 (permalink)

Name: Dan
Vehicle: 2009 lancer gts
savage#AF is on a distinguished road
CAI is a bad idea for gt

I have a 2009 gts with an injen cai, owned my car for the past 5 years, i bought the car with the injen cai installed. every time it rained the car would bog down and even worse just die on the highway especially while behind another car.....the reason for this is the fog light on the drivers side. the plastic bezel is only solid on one side the other side has large holes that make it look like mesh. right behind that plastic bezel is your intake fileter imagine going 60 and getting your filter sprayed by a hose thats what its like. I live in NY, and to fix this i took the bezel off, got some 3m clear film put it on the back side of the bezel and then clipped it back in where it belongs. Now when the rain hits that hole there is no place for it to go........my check engine light will not go off now and i think its the MAF and praying its not my cylinder. Good luck!
savage#AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage#AF View Post
I have a 2009 gts with an injen cai, owned my car for the past 5 years, i bought the car with the injen cai installed. every time it rained the car would bog down and even worse just die on the highway especially while behind another car.....the reason for this is the fog light on the drivers side. the plastic bezel is only solid on one side the other side has large holes that make it look like mesh. right behind that plastic bezel is your intake fileter imagine going 60 and getting your filter sprayed by a hose thats what its like. I live in NY, and to fix this i took the bezel off, got some 3m clear film put it on the back side of the bezel and then clipped it back in where it belongs. Now when the rain hits that hole there is no place for it to go........my check engine light will not go off now and i think its the MAF and praying its not my cylinder. Good luck!
I dunno man, I've had an Injen CAI in my GT for a year and an Injen on my last car for many more, never had an issue with water (no bypass or hydrosheild on either). Granted, I haven't pushed my luck by driving into lakes or rivers, but have driven through heavy rain and high standing water on the road without problems knock on wood. If the splash guard is properly reinstalled after, you shouldn't have too much of an issue with water
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Name: Joey
Vehicle: 07 Gt Se?
Dreaded Gt is on a distinguished road
I have the AEM CAI, I've driven through a lot of heavy rain storms and I've had no issue.
Tbh if you put your car through water deep enough to hydrolock your engine, i don't think it would matter what your intake set up is.
Dreaded Gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blown, engine, intake, money, warranty, water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.