Header Confusion. - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Eclipse Performance

Eclipse Performance Eclipse Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deez Nutz

Name: Adam
adamcky90 will become famous soon enough
Header Confusion.

First off I am sorry for making this thread even though it has been covered before many times and I cannot find a straight answer. I am looking at the OBX headers for my GS, and I am reading a ton of different things about them. I am getting everything confused between the GT and GS install, seems like they both have different problems.

I am reading that you have to drill your own o2 sensor holes, then I was informed that they now come with the o2 sensor holes but I will need o2 sensor extenders, and I was reading that you need to buy an OBX cat delete to bolt up the header. I am so damn confused here, can someone here break it down for me please before I go crazy!
adamcky90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse gt
bschwinghammer is on a distinguished road
I have a gt but the kit comes with everything you will need includeing the test pipe part and as far as 02 bungs not sure on the gs ones but mine came with all of them no drilling but only downside i was shorted 3 bolts hope that helps you
bschwinghammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: Eclipse GS 5 Speed
nokiauser has a spectacular aura about
To put it simply, for a GS, you are better off with the RRE shorties. Better low-end power and self install. The extra dollar that you spend goes towards an American made product and the satisfaction of getting it done yourself is immeasurable. This is also a proven set with minimal issues compared to us LT guys.

If you go with the long tube headers (example OBX), you have to drill holes for the rear (bottom) two O2 sensors. You will need to extend your O2 sensors also. You will need to cut your stock pipe. You will need to weld the new pipe to the stock. You are also going to need a flex pipe so things don't break when you stomp the gas. You are going to pay for labor to get all that done unless you are handy and have access to a lift. These are knock-offs of the Ripp Mods Long Tube Headers and regardless of quality, they're from China. In the end, the cheap initial price tag will now be offset by having to hunt for a shop, make an appointment for a weekend which is usually hard (in my part of town), pay for labor, and lose low-end torque.

For other details, use google search with "club4g" listed on it. You will definitely find way too many threads created on this topic but you get what you pay for.
RRE/RRM Underdrive, Fujita F5 Wrinkle Black CAI, Throttle Bypass, GT Throttle body, Outlaw TB Spacer, Ripp Mods LT Headers, Magnaflow Performance Cat, Fully Custom 2.5" Exhaust Piping, RRE Magnaflow Muffler, Eibach ProKit Springs, Progress 24mm Rear Anti-Sway, Tanabe TSB, GT Tower Brace
nokiauser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Name: Tanner
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Boatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of light
Rre ftw!!

OBX longtubes, SRI, Helix TB spacer, Stiffy, Flowmaster, RL Cutout,
EVO wing, halo fogs, black projectors, Konig sideways, 09 front end swap, Kicker SS.
Boatright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
I'm going to go the RRE route with my GT. They are more expensive to begin with but come out cheaper in the end.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deez Nutz

Thanks guys! I was really thinking about it and I am going to go with the RRE for sure. Those OBX sound like a hassle, and for the money it would cost for the o2 extensions and labor I might as well get the RRE and do it myself. It would be nice if someone on here was selling one, but I doubt it, or the RIPP header. nokiauser, how were the gains when you put your header on?

Last edited by adamcky90; March 28th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: Eclipse GS 5 Speed
nokiauser has a spectacular aura about
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think for the GT, the RRE and OBX/RippMods are going to be a hassle either way because of the rear header. OBX or if you're lucky the Ripp Mods model requires welding and extra bung(s).

For the GS, the answer is plain simple.
RRE/RRM Underdrive, Fujita F5 Wrinkle Black CAI, Throttle Bypass, GT Throttle body, Outlaw TB Spacer, Ripp Mods LT Headers, Magnaflow Performance Cat, Fully Custom 2.5" Exhaust Piping, RRE Magnaflow Muffler, Eibach ProKit Springs, Progress 24mm Rear Anti-Sway, Tanabe TSB, GT Tower Brace
nokiauser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Yeah on the GT from what I have been told is the rears are a PITA! I was just looking at the RRE headers, magnaflow exhaust, and the injen intake and it would run me about 1100 bucks. I really want some performance mods bad! I'm like Adam I'm confused on a lot of these things because their are so many opinions.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Boatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiauser View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think for the GT, the RRE and OBX/RippMods are going to be a hassle either way because of the rear header. OBX or if you're lucky the Ripp Mods model requires welding and extra bung(s).

For the GS, the answer is plain simple.
Yeah, but for the GT if you go obx I have heard they throw codes like crazy, need o2 extensions which are touchy and a pain, and the fitment isn't perfect. Ppl are saying the quality of obx is cheap and they have lower performance gains.

EVO wing, halo fogs, black projectors, Konig sideways, 09 front end swap, Kicker SS.
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I spoke with a local member the other day and he got the OBX and installed them and ended up taking them off. He felt like he lost power. I have heard that the OBX are not worth it for the GT. I'm going to do the RRE for sure. I'm just wondering what intake will be the best I have heard a lot of good things about the fujita intakes. I'm throwing the p0421 code right now so I know my factory pre cats are bad anyway and I swear I feel like I have lost a good bit of power since this code has started showing up.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Same here, my pre cats have been toast for a long while now. RRE headers are next on my list. I bought an SRI for our cars off ebay for 60$. It looks good and is good quality from what i can tell, sounds great too! I couldnt bring myself to pay 300$ for a filter and tubing.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatright View Post
Same here, my pre cats have been toast for a long while now. RRE headers are next on my list. I bought an SRI for our cars off ebay for 60$. It looks good and is good quality from what i can tell, sounds great too! I couldnt bring myself to pay 300$ for a filter and tubing.
Yeah it's a good bit to pay but I have heard of a lot of members throwing codes with cheaper intakes. My code scanner stays in my car cause the SES light drives me insane!!!!

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdixon23 View Post
Yeah it's a good bit to pay but I have heard of a lot of members throwing codes with cheaper intakes. My code scanner stays in my car cause the SES light drives me insane!!!!
Haha, I feel ya. Actually after I installed it and reset my ECU my p014 code disappeared for almost a month. I think it might have brought the temp down enough for the 02's to read the cats were okay. Now they are back so im just gonna go with the headers and that should take care of everything.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well the shitty thing is I'm sitting at 85k miles and the warranty is only for 80k miles! I'm just glad I have a cousin that owns a shop and I can use his lifts.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Yeah, I was at 83 when the SES came on. Dealer quoted 1100 for new manifolds, lolololol. Now im at 88. I have heard it can get to the point of burning up valves, so I dont wanna put it off too much longer.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah I have heard it can cause some engine damage if they get to clogged I don't know how true that it. I know the RRE headers would be a lot cheaper than going back OEM and you get performance gains out of it. The good thing about South Carolina is that we don't emissions inspections or anything so I could cut all my cats out and be ok.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Deez Nutz

I wish I didn't have to deal with emissions, I'm only at 41k on my car, are these clogged cats problems big on our cars? I have a ebay full CAI on my car and I never had a single problem with it.

Last edited by adamcky90; March 28th, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

SC did away with vehicle inspections back in 1994! It's nice but then it sucks when you're behind a mosquito sprayer like this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

^ lol sea foam on steroids.

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcky90 View Post
I wish I didn't have to deal with emissions, I'm only at 41k on my car, are these clogged cats problems big on our cars? I have a ebay full CAI on my car and I never had a single problem with it.
I dont think its a problem with a GS. I know the 06 GT'S had a recall on the precats.

Old March 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

Dude you have no idea how many shitty cars I see driving around like this everyday! You could get away with just about anything down here.

Old March 28th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Deez Nutz

It's a Ford, go figure. hahaha The county next to mine has no emission, I wish I lived there.hahaha My friend bought a Dodge Stealth off of his uncle down in SC the airbag was deployed but all the body damage was fixed, he had to glue the rubber on the steering wheel shut where the airbag went off when he got it inspected up here XD.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Sounds like some shitty car I would see here on a daily basis. I'm seriously gonna take some pics of the crappy rides I see here.

Old March 28th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Deez Nutz

hahaha you should! Make a thread, I got a few good ones. Like a real old Tibouron with a huge, I mean huge wing on the back. You cant really get away with having beat ass cars here, my sister saw a car over in Ohio with no passenger door.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
I'd be all like 4g! Waat?

7 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 12

Name: Randy
Vehicle: 07 GMC Sierra
randman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant futurerandman has a brilliant future
I had the obx with no issues. Granted they were for the gt but heres some more info on obx for the gs.I know that rob has obx I believe he had a flange crack but was welded back and has had no other problems. Basically it boils down to preference. Good luck.
OBX Header Question (not noob)

Tags
buy, cat, crazy, delete, header, headers, install, o2 sensor, obx, obx headers, problems, straight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.