Technical writeup Rear View Mirror Fix! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Electronics

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Vehicle: 2006 Eclpise GS
fhadso will become famous soon enough
Rear View Mirror Fix!

Not sure where to put this, but I've noticed a lot of people that have had issues with their rear view mirror map lights or auto dimming mirror.

Problem: Map lights and/or auto dimmer work sporadically. Wiggling the wires/connector to the RVM fixes the problem temporarily, only to stop working after hitting a bump.

A lot of people have suspected the wiring, as anyone would. I took it further and investigated the circuit board in the mirror. After close inspection, the solder points for the connector were old and cracked, making little or no contact with the circuit board. I attached a close up of it.

So, I applied new solder to pins 1,2,3,6, and 7, and tested it out.

It works! I even wiggled the connector a bunch and put stress on the wiring and everything and the connection is solid AF.

As far as the disassembly for the mirror goes, remove the RVM from your windshield (GROUP 52A INTERIOR
INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PAGE 52A-38
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...001100-52A.pdf), take out the bulb lenses and bulbs, and start gently prying evenly along the edges until it comes apart completely. Then, ever so gingerly remove the circuit board from the back of the mirror. Try not to break your mirror! It's pretty intense double stick tape. You'll want to replace it when you're done soldering. Then, apply a gel based adhesive to the bezel of the mirror where the two plastic pieces come together. Make sure and apply enough pressure for it to seal completely.

I haven't put everything back together yet, so I'll update this when I'm done. Hopefully this will save someone some time and money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160922_235539.jpg (68.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by fhadso; September 23rd, 2016 at 12:34 AM.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
+Rep for the good work. This has been an issue for me, because my subwoofers just rattle the shit outta that mirror. I'll give this a shot sometime!
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

The post got moved, so I can't edit it anymore. After putting everything back together, I noticed that while my auto dimmer turns on (green LED), it doesn't actually do anything. Whether or not this was an issue beforehand is unknown. However, my map lights work which is more important to me.

That being said, I would be careful with the mirror, paying close attention to the connections labeled RED and BLACK on the left side of the board, as well as the contacts on the top and bottom of the mirror itself (hold it at the sides).

Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

1 Highscore

Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
You probably cannot edit it because you don't have enough posts yet. It will come with time. I know my LED came on, but I could never really tell if the dimmer worked, and it hasn't been a huge concern for me. The lights, though, would be nice to have again. Hopefully this will help!
Old October 30th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
Good job! +erep!

I was going to do a "How To" on this as well... You beat me to it. : )

Heres some more pics to add, of the rear view mirrors circuit board...

You want to re-solder pins 1-7....(in the middle of the pic.)
These pins are what your wires go into...So when you push/jiggle the wire to get your light to come on, your actually makeing the connection worse,by putting excess pressure on these solder points....

The circuit board is stuck onto the back of the mirror with some strong double sided tape, so be careful prying it apart...Take your time, DONT break the circuit board or damage a solder point on the edge of the board... I used like 6 pry tools and very little heat with a heat gun...

You can see some of the glue still sticking to the board here..

If anyone needs help or dosent feel comfortable soldering or takeing it apart, PM me, I'll help or do it for you for free. : )

Ryan
ryguy
Old October 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
OP you said your auto dimmer dosent work now?

Did you disconnect the 2 black wires on the edge of the mirror when you took it apart? Or did they get damaged in process?
If so, that may be your issue... thats the power for the auto dimmer...
It supplies a electrical current to activate the liquid thats lamanated in between the mirror and the glass.....createing the dimming feature.

Everyone, you do not have to disconnect the 2 black wires on the edge of the mirror... I would not mess with those... Just pry the board up and dont dissconnect anything on the board.
Old October 31st, 2016, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yo. Did you read anything I posted?
Old October 31st, 2016, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhadso View Post
Yo. Did you read anything I posted?
Yup, everything. : )
Old November 20th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Andres
Vehicle: 2009 GT
SuperEvilnine is on a distinguished road
Good work man thanks!

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
SuperEvilnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Awesome right up guys, been needing to fix this for the longest time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Stephen
Vehicle: 09 Solar(Y19) Eclipse GS
Fizzix will become famous soon enough
fhadso and ryguy, thanks to both of you for such a detailed writeup. I've been having issues with the map lights working intermittently since 2011. The dealer did nothing about it while the car was under warranty. I ended up fixing it myself today, I had bad solder joints on pins 1,2,6,7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CircuitBd001.jpg (47.7 KB, 10 views)
Fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Andres
Vehicle: 2009 GT
SuperEvilnine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzix View Post
fhadso and ryguy, thanks to both of you for such a detailed writeup. I've been having issues with the map lights working intermittently since 2011. The dealer did nothing about it while the car was under warranty. I ended up fixing it myself today, I had bad solder joints on pins 1,2,6,7.
Cool..thx for sharing!

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
SuperEvilnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2017, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzix View Post
Sweet!
Its nice haveing the lights work again and not flicker. : )

Tags
auto, board, circuit, connector, cracked, fix, issues, lights, mirror, rear, stop, wiring, work, working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.