How To: Install 2011 OEM-like Bluetooth & Backup Cam for $770 (RRP: $2,500) - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Electronics

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS
mitsuclipse will become famous soon enough
How To: Install 2011 OEM-like Bluetooth & Backup Cam for $770 (RRP: $2,500)

I tried to source info on this from the forum but help seemed to be a little thin on the ground, so I went ahead and figured it out. I'm pleased to now provide this 'How To' in the hope it helps others looking to do the same thing.

This will let you have a Mitsubishi Eclipse 2011 factory OEM look for:
Bluetooth Hands-free Controls
Backup Camera above license plate
Electrochromic Dimming Mirror
LCD screen in the Mirror

This would have cost $2,500 installed if you went the OEM route. The new dash harness needed would be $700 alone.

But is done using largely non-Mitsubishi parts. Here's how. First you'll need a shopping list:

Camera:
Ford F150 Electrochromic LCD Mirror with 16-pin socket (~$200)
Ford F-150 16-pin Mirror Roof Harness 9L3Z14335JB ($54.77)
Subaru Legacy Backup Camera with light (~$27)

Bluetooth Hands-free:
Advent Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit UBTSW2 (~$140)
Polarized Header 4 Pin Female plugs ($8.80)
Mitsubishi Eclipse 2011 Radio Bezel 8002A721HA incl. Bluetooth switches ($22.94)

Warning: This does require electronics expertise, or a willing car audio installer with the necessary knowledge of resistors etc. My total installation cost ran to just $335, however it was about 7 hours work, so you'll need to shop around for someone who quotes per job not per hour.
  1. Remove your center bezel where the radio sits by pulling it out
  2. Unscrew the radio faceplate from it, and unclip the vents and everything else
  3. Try to put the radio faceplate in the new bezel - you'll see it doesn't fit as the Bluetooth buttons are in the way, so take a small hacksaw and cut a chunk out of it - see my photo below - pretty easy
  4. Instate everything in the new bezel
  5. Unclip the Mitsubishi rear view mirror using a small screwdriver inserted in the hole, then slide it off the wedge
  6. Slide the Ford mirror onto the wedge
  7. Strip down the Ford roof harness cables using the schematic below. Cut off any unused cables at the plug end, then separate the others. You can also cut off wires 11 & 15 - the mirror doesn't seem to need them and auto-dims without. It may help to label all wires at the other end based on their color.
  8. Plug the harness into the mirror
  9. Run the VIDEO cables and splice into the VIDEO (yellow composite) plug that comes with the backup camera
  10. Run the GROUND of the mirror to the car GROUND
  11. Run the FUSE of the mirror to the accessory or similar wire of the car
  12. Run the REVERSE of the mirror to the car's reverse (so the LCD comes on only when in reverse)
  13. Connect the camera at the back by removing the Mitsubishi light and installing this in its place
  14. To do this you will need to create a plastic 'lip' on either side of the camera for it to sit inside the light hole (this will become clear) - it's best to do this on an upward incline otherwise the picture may appear too low (see my photo)
  15. Connect the rest of the Bluetooth as per the user guide
  16. The only thing remaining is the most challenging - connecting this 2-button hands-free to the Mitsubishi 2-button switch:
  17. They both have just 2 switches, but unfortunately run at different power, so you can't just solder one to the other - instead your tech will need to test the levels and run resistor on resistor until the Mitsubishi switch gives the correct level to the Advent switch (took my tech 1 hour) - actually solder the wires from the sides of the switches to the Advent
  18. Make sure he runs the 'face' button to the 'answer' wire of the Advent. When you press this once, it will activate voice dialing on your phone. Press it to answer a call. Press and hold to hang up. The other 'handset' button then functions for ending a call (press and hold). This way round, during a call you can press the left button to decrease volume, and right to increase. Works nice!
  19. Install the mic behind the sun visor - not on the A-pillar where the air bag may throw it at you
  20. You'll then need to run power to the Mitsubishi switch LEDs to give it the nice blue neon look at night. Use the plugs in the shopping list. Of the 4 pins that switch uses, the 2 outside ones are for ILLumination and GND - see my photo below

My wires running from the Ford roof harness, once installed and labelled:

The back of the Mitsubishi switch once the resistors and wires had been connected to the Advent switch:

The hole you'll need to hacksaw into the radio faceplate when moving it to the new bezel:

Wiring table for the Ford mirror & harness:

Close-up of Mitsubishi Bluetooth switch connectors:

Backup Camera installed, just where the OEM one goes (it has a built in license plate light):

That's the basics. Any questions feel free to ask in this thread. Hope this helps someone in future

Last edited by mitsuclipse; May 25th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
mitsuclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 08 GT Spyder
redlenses has a spectacular aura about
Nice work!

Does the rearview mirror have 2 lights on the bottom?

I have a Spyder and the cabin's lights are built into the mirror. They light up when the car is locked or unlocked, and you can click the buttons to have the lights stay on while driving.
redlenses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
theBIGone

Name: Luis
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT-P
SMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really niceSMeclipseGT is just really nice
nice bro!!! erep to you
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Alex
Vehicle: 2000 Audi A4 quattro
ALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant futureALBOE has a brilliant future
FUCKING EREP TO YOU BroTHA!
ALBOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
602customs has a spectacular aura about
Wie Thanks for that Instruction. I will also try that by the end of the Year!
602customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlenses View Post
Nice work!

Does the rearview mirror have 2 lights on the bottom?

I have a Spyder and the cabin's lights are built into the mirror. They light up when the car is locked or unlocked, and you can click the buttons to have the lights stay on while driving.
Thanks The F150 mirror I used doesn't have any light bulbs in it - I think it's just that way on the Spyder because you can't use the roof ones Otherwise it looks just like the Coupe mirror, with the 2 sensors at the base as you can see. I imagine they all come from the same factory as Ford's.
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBOE View Post
FUCKING EREP TO YOU BroTHA!
Thanks guys! Maybe this should be a sticky?
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Ruben
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS-Turbo
leet will become famous soon enough
might be dumb but can you play audio through bluetooth or just for phone calls?
leet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leet View Post
might be dumb but can you play audio through bluetooth or just for phone calls?
No that's just for phone calls, like the Mitsubishi system. I have purchased the Mitsubishi iPod adapter as well, which gives me an iPod plug in my glovebox. From there I am investigating 'FIPO' Bluetooth senders, which will send Bluetooth music from my Android phone to the iPod cable. So far however none work, including the Sprint one. I just get an error. Regular iPods connected work fine though.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 08gt 6 speed
06gs is on a distinguished road
Do you have to have a auto diming mirror before you start this. Im not sure models wothout the autodiming mirror will have the connector in the roof
06gs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

You might want to read the full post, specifically related to buying the "Ford F-150 Mirror Roof Harness 9L3Z14335JB ($54.77)" and instruction point no. 7
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

I see what your saying maybe my question wasnt clear. I see you strip the wires down to tap into,others but what mean is what are you taping into. The wires going from the mirror to the roof tap into what? I would assume it would be fhe original wires that are there for the mitsu diming mirror. But I mean if you never had a diming mirror from the factort will those wires be tgere to tap into for power? And ground. Maybe im missing something
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think I understand you. Basically there are no cables in the roof, and it has nothing to do with whether or not you have a dimming mirror to begin with.

You run the Ford harness along the top of the windscreen from the mirror, down the A-pillar, to behind the stereo. You can see these wires behind the stereo in my image above. There you splice into the ground, power, etc. which are already present in any Eclipse behind the radio. I hope this helps!

Last edited by mitsuclipse; May 25th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ahhh! Yes thats exactly what I was talking about. Thank you
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

Name: Juan
Vehicle: 2009 GS 5speed
ThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the roughThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the rough
so lets say i just want the back up camera, how do you connect the camera and the rearview mirror?

We are the GS, Vroom Vroom Bitches
ThE JaIMsTa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT Spyder
Gigastar is a jewel in the roughGigastar is a jewel in the rough
I found my pet project! thank you!!! now the question is, does the bluetooth system work like the one for the 2011 eclipse with the whole person guiding you through a voice operated menu? or just a simple press and talk option?
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
The "Touring" Eclipse

Vehicle: 08 Eclipse SE
HOMESLICE is a jewel in the roughHOMESLICE is a jewel in the rough
for the price and installation required and sourcing of parts, it would be much easier to get a new alpine double din that has these features in it. Just my .02
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GS
abeledj is on a distinguished road
This Is a GREAT IDEA ! Thanks for the info !
I have a question....the original Mitsubishi blue tooth switch needs a resistor for the audio conexion ? or it's for the light ?
Im not sure to understand what's this resistor for..
In that case could you tell me what's the value ? (how many ohms)
And also would you have the squematic diagram for the blue tooth switch conexions ? I think they are 2 normaly open sw right?
I Made a diagram to try to conect both front speakers( instead of one) but it will be necesary 2 double mini relays to switch radio and blue tooth using the yellow wire from the Advent to control the relays , this will automatic desconnect the radio power and switch the speakers from the radio to the advent and viceversa ! If it works I will post the squematic
thanks
Abel

Last edited by abeledj; June 15th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
abeledj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE JaIMsTa View Post
so lets say i just want the back up camera, how do you connect the camera and the rearview mirror?
Sorry for the delay guys, the forum didn't alert me to any replies. The camera connects to 2 wires that come from the loom I have listed to purchase above. You can see which number wires they are from my chart also above. These connect to the standard yellow video cable coming from the camera.
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigastar View Post
I found my pet project! thank you!!! now the question is, does the bluetooth system work like the one for the 2011 eclipse with the whole person guiding you through a voice operated menu? or just a simple press and talk option?
It's not quite like that. With my Android phone, I press the 'face' button on the dash, and it prompts my phone to say 'Speak now', at which point I say, 'Call Suzy on mobile' and all being well, it does. Nothing more elaborate than that. To hang up, I hold down the left 'handset' button.

It also does 'hold', 'redial', 'volume', etc. through various different keypresses of the 2 Mitsu buttons.
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMESLICE View Post
for the price and installation required and sourcing of parts, it would be much easier to get a new alpine double din that has these features in it. Just my .02
Of course. This is for people who like to keep that OEM factory installed look and feel.
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeledj View Post
This Is a GREAT IDEA ! Thanks for the info !
I have a question....the original Mitsubishi blue tooth switch needs a resistor for the audio conexion ? or it's for the light ?
Im not sure to understand what's this resistor for..
In that case could you tell me what's the value ? (how many ohms)
And also would you have the squematic diagram for the blue tooth switch conexions ? I think they are 2 normaly open sw right?
I Made a diagram to try to conect both front speakers( instead of one) but it will be necesary 2 double mini relays to switch radio and blue tooth using the yellow wire from the Advent to control the relays , this will automatic desconnect the radio power and switch the speakers from the radio to the advent and viceversa ! If it works I will post the squematic
thanks
Abel
The resistor is for the actual operation of the button (the lights work fine without it). This is because the Mitsu switch outputs a different voltage to that needed to be received by the Advent Bluetooth kit. I don't know the exact voltage or cost, but your electronics expert will know how to measure this and install them, as mine did. As mentioned, he needed to chain a few resistors together to get the button to operate the Advent kit. Hope this helps.

Sorry the only schematics I have are as above. Good luck!
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

Is there any way you could find out what resistors are in there because itd be much easier for those of us doing this at home, a draw up of what connects to what would also be phenomenal

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mate I wish I could, but they taped the whole thing up so well and you'll understand I don't want to risk ripping the resistors off by untaping it. All he told me was "we had to stack different resistors on top of each other until it worked". Sorry I can't give any more info but I'd suggest starting with the smaller ones, then adding to them in series until the buttons cause a response from the kit.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

awesome, yea i understand, i guess ill just have guess and check, thanks anyways

Old July 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

Last edited by ThE JaIMsTa; July 7th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

FORD F150 AUTO DIM REAR MIRROR BACK UP CAMERA DISPLAY | eBay

Is this it?

Old July 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

I can't tell as he doesn't list how many pins the socket at the back has. Make sure it has the number of pins I mention in my original post - you'd have to email him to know this. Good luck!
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

hey have you noticed any decay in the sound of of the left front window speaker?

also do you have an iphone?

Old August 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

Name: Matthew
Vehicle: 2008 ECLIPSE GS
Matt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond repute
nice work man

Selling E4E rear and sides, will need to be refinished and repainted. Pm me
Matt-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE JaIMsTa View Post
hey have you noticed any decay in the sound of of the left front window speaker?

also do you have an iphone?
I can't say I've noticed that no, sorry. I guess if the car kit was failing to switch off when not on a call, it would half the power going to the right speaker. You should hear a click when it starts and stops a call, indicating it is turning on, then off. If it clicks off after a call, then all sounds well.

I'm running Android at the moment.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

oh ok then yea, its fine i just wanted to reassure myself, i feel as it should be fine besides, if i see anything decaying, i could just add a little separate speaker for the bluetooth

android? are you able to answer with the system because i think thats the only downfall with having an iphone. it wont let me answer but i can do everything else, go figure right?

Old August 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #33 (permalink)

Yes, I can answer with Android. I'm sure iPhone would be able to manage this too!

Good luck.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

Name: Terry
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
Bolinger82 is on a distinguished road
Hey, I'd like to do the Bluetooth side of this and I was wondering if the UBTSW1 would work? I saw yours was the UBTSW2, will there be much of a difference? The wiring harness and module appear to be the same, just the switch it comes with is different.

Will it work?
Thanks in advance.
Bolinger82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #35 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
great post - my car came with all of that but I still changed to stock OEM stereo to a kenwood double din deck now what I want to do is have the backup camera show in my double din rather then in my mirror because the mirror view is soooo tiny

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolinger82 View Post
Hey, I'd like to do the Bluetooth side of this and I was wondering if the UBTSW1 would work? I saw yours was the UBTSW2, will there be much of a difference? The wiring harness and module appear to be the same, just the switch it comes with is different.

Will it work?
Thanks in advance.
I am 99% sure it will work. ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:43 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratskat View Post
great post - my car came with all of that but I still changed to stock OEM stereo to a kenwood double din deck now what I want to do is have the backup camera show in my double din rather then in my mirror because the mirror view is soooo tiny
That's easy. Just take the yellow video lead straight to the DD. There is usually an option to connect the reverse light signal to the DD so it turns on in video mode when reversing.

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #38 (permalink)

Name: Terry
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
Bolinger82 is on a distinguished road
Do you use the microphone in the ford mirror or where is your microphone at in all this? Sorry if i over read where you put it, but I didn't see anything said about the microphone.

Edit: Nevermind, i found it. Thanks though.
Bolinger82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #39 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuclipse View Post
That's easy. Just take the yellow video lead straight to the DD. There is usually an option to connect the reverse light signal to the DD so it turns on in video mode when reversing.

It was not so easy as this... first you have to find the module/harness for the backup camera and splice an RCA cable to it and run to the Deck and plug in video - yellow cable you stated ended up being a brown (video +) and black/yellow (video -) cable.

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #40 (permalink)

Name: Ronald
Vehicle: 2006/ECLIPSE/GT
LAFINESTS is on a distinguished road
so if i want to do this to my car i have a 2006 gt what parts do i have to get from mitsubishi to make it work
LAFINESTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio, auto, car, car audio, eclipse, electronics, fit, headers, how to, install, installation, kit, light, mitsubishi, mitsubishi parts, oem, parts, plugs, rear, rip, total, vents, video, work, works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.