How to -> Footwell lighting - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Electronics

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Quebec Light Source

Name: Olivier
Vehicle: Lancer ES/AWC 2012
zedawg has a spectacular aura about
How to -> Footwell lighting

Hello everyone,
Here is a little "how to" for footwell lighting because a lot of people started threads and asked question on how to do this. So here it is. If you have a bit of skills in electronic this should be an easy task.

Tools needed :
Wire strippers (i use my teeth mostly for stripping but your mom will tell you not to )
Electrical tape
Electric wires (your choice but personally i am using 20 gage wire) better get some black and red wires because...do i really need to argue????
A switch(your choice if you want a swich or not)...i won't teach how to install all models of switches because it will take my entire life so i will teach the most simple one wich is a mini-toggle switch)

1. Select your power source. You have a LOT of choices for that, personally i am using the 12v accessory wire from head unit(blue wire), but you can use a constant power wire too if you want to turn the lights ON without putting your keys in.

2. Remove head unit. This is sooooooooooooo simple, just pull the whole pannel and it will come off.Remove the cables from the pannel(head unit and hazard).

3. Pass wires to driver and passanger side. This is very easy because there is a big gap on each side so you just need to get the wires trough the gaps(i suggest you not to cut the wires now so you can choose the lenght to not end with too long or too short wires). Im sad to write this but you will need 1 red wire and 1 black wire on each side .

4.Connect your light to the black and red wire(mostly with LED or SMD strips the wire polarity is easy to see, the copper wire is the positive and nickel wire is the negative. So if we put this all together, the copper wire goes to the red wire and the nickel wire goes to the black wire . Now you can put electrical tape on your connection(or heatshrink tubing if you are cool)

5.Now you can stick your lights where ever you want to(my favorite too is hot glue but need to put a LOT to make sure it wont melt down during hot weather). Now that your lights are fixed you can pull the wire back into the head unit space to hide everything.

6. Now for powering your lights, if you wish for the lights to turn ON when you start the car you can simply run the red wire to your 12v acessory source. If you wish to have a switch to turn it ON here is a picture that tells EVERYTHING you want to know. What you should understand is that your 12V power get in the swich and then get out by the 2nd wire(mostly power IN is red) and all your negative wires goes to a negative place(using your car's frame is the easiest ground you can use). Personally i am using a alligator clip on my car's frame for the ground so its easy to plug and easy to remove. For the switch, if you are using a toggle switch you just need to have a drill and the right size drill bit to make a hole and then put the switch where you want to.

7. Make some cable management in there so you don't end up with a mess and when you want to work in there you just want to pull everything out and scream . Put your head unit back in place, put your keys(or not) in the starter at acessory, turn your switch(or not) ON and watch your new footwell ligthing .

Before someone asks, the lights i am using are 24cm SMD strips. I am using those because i got them for free from one of my LEDs supplier. If you still don't know about that, i am a car LEDs seller, so i can supply what you need for that job. Here is the link to my ebay store(just check the products, don't buy from ebay, just PM me here) http://stores.ebay.ca/Quebec-Light-Source

Here is the result

Last edited by zedawg; July 1st, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
zedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Christina
Vehicle: 08 g4 gs
WHITE DRAGON will become famous soon enough
quick Q. if i were to run all the wires up to the map light could i just splice these in there and not have a toggle? thinking if i did this it would allow two things. 1.) all leds would work by opening any of the doors. 2.) i could also cut them on at the rear view mirror and walk away at any kind of show, cruise in or anything.
WHITE DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Quebec Light Source

Name: Olivier
Vehicle: Lancer ES/AWC 2012
zedawg has a spectacular aura about
if you manage to run your wires to the map light and hide it you could do that. otherwise what you can do is install a push swich in your door so when you close the door the light turns OFF. One of my friend did this with his glove box, he installed some kind of refrigerator switch in the hinge so when the door opens the light turn ON.

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
So many ideas, But no $$$

Name: Matt
Vehicle: 2013/ Lancer/ Ralliart
Scottishsamurai has a spectacular aura about
hey dude i have switches on order but i have my LED light and i am trying to find a good power source? I am trying to wire it to the traction control but (because i don't have it) but there is no power going to the wires...i cant find if its missing a fuse or if what. plus there is four wires and i cant tell which it which. can u please help, thanks
Scottishsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pussy Magnet = Stock

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2012 Lancer Ralliart
deprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to beholddeprydation is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for this man but ugh....another switch....

Nitrous switch, bottle warmer switch, purge valve button, pillar pod gauge switch...

led switch....
Current Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart: Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP| Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by ME! | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Can | Agency Power 3" DP | Avid1 18x9 +35 | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated TP | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2/ZR-2 AFR+Boost |
deprydation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Skyler
Vehicle: 2009 GS, Sunset pearl
Hiafolks is on a distinguished road
Would it matter if you used wire bigger than 20Ga? The smallest I could find in my town was 14 Ga...

Hiafolks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Smaller the number, the bigger the wire size, for LED's 14-18 gauge will be fine
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

It 14 gauge seemed kinda big... but if it should be ok, then ill pick some up! About time I get my Footwell LEDs hooked up!

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Randin
Vehicle: 08 GS
randin is on a distinguished road
Man, I would kill for those pictures under #6
randin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randin View Post
Man, I would kill for those pictures under #6
Yeah it sucks I cant see any pics. I want to finally hook mine up!

Old August 9th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Allen
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
QetraFussion is on a distinguished road
Your pictures don't show
QetraFussion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Dan
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT/3.8L V6
danikorea is on a distinguished road
Is there any way to see these photos again...hmm
danikorea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
back, black, blue, buy, car, connection, electronic, head, how to, install, led, lighting, lights, long, power, question, red, remove, short, skills, starter, switch, tire, uni, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.