Mitsubishi Eclipse 2007 GS - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region IL, IN, MI, OH, WI discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: moses
Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/GS
mossig89 is on a distinguished road
Mitsubishi Eclipse 2007 GS

Dear eclipse 4g community

I purchased a Mitsubishi Eclipse 2007 GS last week it has 62,000 miles on it was pretty clean got it check by the mechanic he told me the immediate action to be taken would be to change the brake pads and the rotors for all the four wheels. I bought the equipment gonna get them changed on firday. He also pointed to me out however that the timing belt for these cars need to be changed every 60K miles. Since I bought the car on 62,0000 miles I'm guessing this has not been changed, the mechanic said it would cost me 550 to 600 to get it changed including the parts.

I'm a little low on budged now that I just bought the car, in your experienced opinions has anyone out there been in the same situation? how long can I push it before I change the belt and be safe? Can I drive it for 65k miles? because I know once it snaps the engine is pretty much done since it's an interference engine. Thank you for your honest opinions and support.

Moses.
mossig89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2016, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Name: James
Vehicle: 2009 GS
Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Timing belt should be a major focus. It's not just the 60,000 miles, it's also the age of the belt that factors in making it long overdue.

Make sure they change the balance shaft belt too. If that goes, it will shred a new timing belt

My Build Thread
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kaden
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Nava is on a distinguished road
I'm not going to lie. I've been pretty bad about getting my belt replaced considering how much it costs. I bought my 07 gs a couple years ago with 48,000 miles and it currently has 111,000 miles. I have yet to replace it still. I'm going to get it done soon but yeah I would say if it still looks good and such you could wait a little bit but I would get it replaced as soon as you can to avoid anything happening.
Nava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 31st, 2016, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2 Sabertooth^2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm not going to lie. I've been pretty bad about getting my belt replaced considering how much it costs. I bought my 07 gs a couple years ago with 48,000 miles and it currently has 111,000 miles. I have yet to replace it still. I'm going to get it done soon but yeah I would say if it still looks good and such you could wait a little bit but I would get it replaced as soon as you can to avoid anything happening.
Are you sure the previous owner didn't change it? 07 GS would have had it due about 3.5 years ago

My Build Thread
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

so can I drive it a little more without worrying? say 2000 miles more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Timing belt should be a major focus. It's not just the 60,000 miles, it's also the age of the belt that factors in making it long overdue.

Make sure they change the balance shaft belt too. If that goes, it will shred a new timing belt
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
^He's saying do it ASAP. The belt is over 10 years old. The mileage plays a big part but risk of dry rotting over time plays a big part as well. If you think the timing belt is expensive, think about the cost of a completely new engine. The good news is that the new belts last longer (120k miles and ? years). O and welcome to the club!

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

90k miles, not sure if it's 8 or 9 years

My Build Thread
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Kaden
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Nava is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Are you sure the previous owner didn't change it? 07 GS would have had it due about 3.5 years ago

I have no clue. I bought it from greenway dodge in Orlando and car fax had two previous owners but didn't have really any service records so I'm not sure what all has been done.
Nava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2016, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip, I will get on top of it soon. And thank you for the welcome its a good community here... happy to be a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
^He's saying do it ASAP. The belt is over 10 years old. The mileage plays a big part but risk of dry rotting over time plays a big part as well. If you think the timing belt is expensive, think about the cost of a completely new engine. The good news is that the new belts last longer (120k miles and ? years). O and welcome to the club!
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
No Worries

tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Timing Belt Change

Esrobel's post with the 09+ service manual down the first page some. 105k miles or 7 years for the new belts.

Old September 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

So I called the mechanic asking about the timing belt and its replacement he told me that timing belt plus balance shaft plus driver (or driving belt can't remember) altogether with the labor will cost 525$. He told me however you might wanna change the tension er the pulleys and the water pump as well which is an additional 750 bucks adding the entire thing to 1275 dollars. Do I need to change the water pump and the tensioner?
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

It's suggested, but you don't NEEEEED to. Just don't be surprised if the water pump goes on you before you need a new timing belt again.

$750 to change the water pump and tensioners sounds quite steep. The labour overlaps itself on doing the belt and the pump. It sounds as if he's imagining it as 2 separate jobs

My Build Thread
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

I took the car today to GMC dealer to service the brakes. I bought the brake pads and rotors for front and rear they only charged me 120$ for the labor for all the the four wheels which was pretty affordable.

While I was there I had a chat with one of the mechanics concerning the timing belt and replacement of it, he told me they would replace the timing belt and the balance shaft and the tensioner kit for 486$ including the labor parts and tax on the parts. He quote d the price of the timing belt to be 35 bucks. I was actually surprised by this, I s the timing belt really that cheap? The tensioenr kit he quoted to be 165 bucks which is fair enogh I think. Also I asked him about the water pump he told me that they would replace the belts the tensioner and the water pump for 812 dollars including everything.
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
No Worries

The parts themselves aren't that expensive. It's one of the most labor intensive maintenances done so that's what drives the cost up.

Old March 20th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Joey
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Macuillen is on a distinguished road
Hello fellow Mitsu lovers, I also recently purchased an Eclipse and have yet to have the funds to do a timing belt or anything like that. What's the longest that's anyone has ever gone without changing the belts/tensioners/pulleys on the earliest year eclipse?

It's an 06' GT, and it does have relatively low miles, being at only 76,000, but I'm not sure that the timing belt has ever been changed. I am fully aware that the belt is recommended to be replaced at 60,000 miles, and especially now considering its age. But do the 3.8 on the 06 use the same belts as the later models 08/09-12 from the factory? Is there actually a difference in the composition of the belts that came stock from the factory between these years and the first 06-07's? I've read both on the forums, that they do use the same and are good for upwards of 100,000 miles but I've also read that thats only the replacements on the early models.

I purchased her off Craigslist from a mechanic as a salvage title, and she is my daily driver. Im a full time student as an airplane mechanic, so I may be able to do some of the work myself but an American made reciprocating aircraft engine has a lot less components, believe it or not, so I am unfamiliar with some of the things found in our lovely Japanese cars and I apologize for any stupid future questions regarding proper procedure and whats acceptable.

Ive been browsing for quite awhile and decided to make this my first post! Thanks in advance.
Macuillen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Also sorry to revive an older post. I know thats frowned upon.
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ricer

6 Highscores

I know I wouldn't have been upset if you threw up your own intro post and asked.

I'm not sure who holds the record for going the longest without it breaking. I do know that the materials changed for the belt in 2009, and it doesn't matter if you have the 3.8 or 2.4, they both have the safe rated belt life before 2009. At 11 years old though, I would suggest you shop around, and find someone willing to do it at a decent rate under warranty. Some members have been able to have it done for $400. You can do it yourself if you're comfortable with the whole process and not losing timing points. 1 tooth off and you're not going to have a great time, as you tear it all apart to redo

My Build Thread
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
No Worries

Well I for one am PISSED that you revived this thread!!!!!!!!!!!! Jk wttc Joey haha. I suggest you put every penny of your savings toward this maintenance cost though. Better sooner and save a lot of money down the road than vice versa.

Old March 30th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you guys! I've been looking into borrowing money to get it done.

Tags
2007, 2007 gs, 600, belt, brake, cars, change, clean, cost, drive, eclipse, eclipse 2007, engine, long, low, miles, mitsubishi, mitsubishi eclipse, pads, parts, rotors, support, thank you, timing, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.