Bad. Ass. (DirtY MIRT) - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Community Chat > The Lounge

The Lounge This forum is a serious, deep thought and more profound version of Off Topic. No flaming, whoring, trolling or senseless threads allowed!

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
***** Lurker

Name: Ivan
Vehicle: 1972 Chevy Nova SS
darkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to all
Bad. Ass. (DirtY MIRT)

since theres several people on these forums here who are police officers im sure you know what a MIRT is, or for those that dont, a Mobile Infra Red Transmitter, AKA changes red lights to green lights for emergency vehicles, well me and soem friends looked up online how to make them since our city has possibly the worst Transportation system ive ever seen and is likely in the top 100 of america. in any case it is IMPOSSIBLE, meaning in the last 11 years of living here i have always been stopped by at least one light for at least 3 minutes. so i decided i wanted to make one of these magic boxes, which if i were to buy or could even get my hands on a comercially available MiRT would be around $350, so i decided to make my own...for $35. let me go ahead and say i dont know the legal ramifications for this in texas, but that in several states it can lead to a pretty hefty fine...but i have no idea how in the hell any police officer can see infrared light so i made my own anyway...so after all that heres how to make a Mirt, taken from I-hacked.com website.

I'll also throw this in. The system uses special IR sensors to work the Pre-Emptive system, I have taken a picure of one of the sensors below. (taken at College & Lackman in Lenexa, KS)
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stori.../IR-Sensor.jpg

Warning, most of the intersections that have these special sensors are the really busy ones. Which means there's a good likelihood they have cameras too (either red light ones or the ones to just monitor the intersection). CCD cameras can pick up IR light. So if you used the light changer it would show up on camera… Just some food for though before we begin. Ok, so have I talked you out of making one yet?

Done thinking about it yet? Ok good lets get rolling, Green Lights Kick Ass... Just FYI
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stori...ed-hackers.jpg

Parts List:
ITEM Label on Schematic
PC Board

8-pin socket

Controller IC NE555 (8-pin) IC1
.47 uF Electrolytic Capacitor C1
.1uF or .01uF Ceramic Capacitor C2
500K Multiturn Potentiometer R1
(2) 100K Resistors R2 & R4
1K Resistor R3
Kynar wire
Scrap Hookup Wire (18ga. Red, Green, Black)
2N2222 Transistor (Q1) (IR Driver) Q1
2N3055 Transistor (Q2) (IR Driver) Q2
Misc Mounting Hardware
High Power IR Array (Either build it yourself, or buy one from BGMicro Hobby Electronics and Parts item# LED1007)
Cigarette Lighter Adapter

Clear Plastic Case

OPTIONAL ITEMS
MALE and FEMALE Molex 4 Pin Connector w/Pins

ets start building it.

STEP ONE : GATHER & IDENTIFY THE PARTS
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stori...ponents-sm.jpg

Luckily for us, most of the parts are available at your local Radio Shack, but you may have to visit a specialty electronics store or order from Digi-Key or Mouser to get a few remaining parts. We will be using the IR ILLUMINATOR from BGMicro for the IR Transmitter. The PC board we will be building this on is up to you on what style you prefer. As you can see in the above picture I am using an "IC Type" but that might not be the one you want to use. A standard PC Board will work perfectly fine. The small plastic case was probably the hardest thing to find (even though you would think it would be the easiest) I ended up finding a perfect case at Office Depot. =) It had 10 million paperclips inside of it. But its up to you where you get it..

STEP TWO: THE GOOD STUFF, SCHEMATICS!

Timing Circuit
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stori...ng-circuit.gif
I suggest you build the timing circuit first, as it is the most complex. What this circuit is doing is creating a variable "pulse" in order to flash our IR Array. I cannot confirm this, but the word on the street is that the best results can be obtained around 10hz or 10 cycles per second. We will use the 500k Potentiometer to control the "blink rate". What I did for "bench testing" is connect a computer Molex connector to pull 12V (see Molex Pinouts) from a nearby computer. This is not required, so I didnt include it in the parts list. I then connected the anode of a red LED to Pin 3 of the IC, and the cathode to the 390 Ohm resistor (R5). Connect the other side of the resistor to ground. The LED will now flash with the IR array. At this point we are ensuring that your timing circuit is working correctly, and if it is you will have a fast blinking LED.

Now would be a good time to put your IR Array together. This is probably the most fun part of this project. Nothing like soldering 36 LEDs. All I can say about this is make sure you get the Anode and Cathode correct. (However they are marked very well) Once you have the timing circuit built and tested, the IR Array built, it is time to build a hi-power driver to power the IR Array.
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stori...ished-test.jpg
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stories/mirt/IR-Back.jpg

Hi-Power Driver for IR Array
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stories/mirt/irpower.gif

When building the IR Driver circuit, it is IMPERATIVE that you double check polarities on all Capacitors and Transistors. If you happen to use a metal container YOU MUST ISOLATE THE POWER TRANSISTOR (2N3055) FROM THE METAL CASE. Use nylon screws and washers, with electrical tape on the bottom of the transistor to isolate. Failure to follow these instruction will destroy your project!. Once again, check and double check EVERYTHING before you apply power!

Now, cram it all in the Plastic box. Using the soldering Iron, melt a hole in the "Lid" of the box. Mount the IR ARRAY on the outside of the box, using some screws/nuts though the hole you just melted to hold it in place. At this time, this little project should be starting to look pretty good! It is again now a good time to test everything. Having everything hooked and powered up, you should see your RED LED Flashing at a quick pace. That tells us that the timing circuit works, but we need to ensure that the IR Array is blinking along with it. Remember how earlier I mentioned that camera's CCD can pick up IR light? Well using this knowledge you can use any digital camera or camcorder to see if it is working. Infact, you can even use your camera-phone!
http://www.i-hacked.com/images/stories/mirt/IR-ison.jpg

STEP THREE: MAKE IT MOBILE

Cut the end off of a 12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter and connect it into your project. As in above, there is already a Molex connector connected to the timing circuit, so lets solder up a male molex to the Cigarette lighter adapter and now you have a quick connect power adapter. (Again, this is not needed, just a simple suggestion) Now you can test it out on the bench easy, or take it to the car. (not that you will be using this in an auto)

At first you may or may not have much luck, because your Hz is probably pretty off. Using the equation
f =10 1.4/(R1 + 2R2) × C1

R2= 100k, C1=.47uF so R1 must equal ~98k. So using a multimeter set your Potentiometer to 98k and give it a shot. If this doesnt work, try slowly increasing the blink rate.

Again, please do not use or abuse this. These Pre-Emptive systems were designed to save lives, not to get you to work earlier. Imagine if you and an ambulance were to approach the same intersection at the same time from perpendicular directions. I am not sure what the system would do, but you could possibly cause the ambulance problems getting through the light... Something to think about.

anyway i was not the author of this i found it over at i-hacked, interesting stuff, anyway, it has DEFINATELY cut down my time going through cities. im still kinda afraid of using it in dallas tho...anyway hope this helped!

Restored 1972 Chevrolet Nova SS 454 LS5
'72 Nova Performance Thread
darkmaniac7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Ron
Vehicle: 2005/toyota/scion/xb
rcromwell92 is on a distinguished road
How did it work out

How did it work out for you and do you still have the stuff from Ihacked as that site has been taken down. I would love a copy of it. Thanks
rcromwell92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Holy thread revival lol, all the way back from 2008 lol:thumbup::thumbup:
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
I would not wanna be the guy to get caught with this in my car.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_NJ View Post
I would not wanna be the guy to get caught with this in my car.
Agreed, try and explain that one to the cop haha
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Ron
Vehicle: 2005/toyota/scion/xb
rcromwell92 is on a distinguished road
Im not worried about it

Im not worried about the ramifications for this. However, since the Ihacked site is down I cant find a blueprint for success. If anyone has what is needed in the way of instruction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
rcromwell92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcromwell92 View Post
Im not worried about the ramifications for this. However, since the Ihacked site is down I cant find a blueprint for success. If anyone has what is needed in the way of instruction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regardless it would still be prudent to run a few proxies simply because of the types of websites you'll be browsing to find the blueprints. Unless you have a burner laptop and are pulling it from a public isp.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
auto, back, black, buy, car, electrical, electronics, fast, good, how to, led, lights, mobile, mounting, pick, problems, sensors, show, starting, street, texas, top, wire, work, works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.