Desert Rat's 06 GT Manual - Page 2 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Member's Rides

Member's Rides Showcase pictures of your ride here. Members also use this forum to nominate for Car of The Month.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #41 (permalink)

Name: Joe
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse GT/Spider
Joetor will become famous soon enough
On Being Hard on Yourself!

Today if you get down on yourself, remember: You’re doing the best you can, and you have the power to choose, right now, that your best is good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv7B7tsfU4c

Last edited by Joetor; September 17th, 2016 at 10:53 PM.
Joetor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Painted more parts

Not sure how I feel about the rings around the clusters... might repaint them black.

Last edited by Desert Rat; September 18th, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
Desert Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #43 (permalink)

Name: Ozzy
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GT
havik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Painted more parts

Not sure how I feel about the rings around the clusters... might repaint them black.
Looks really good man.

What exactly did you use to paint everything? I might have to start some stuff soon...

Old September 24th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by havik View Post
Looks really good man.

What exactly did you use to paint everything? I might have to start some stuff soon...
Thanks Havik! I used duplicolor vinyl paint with no primer or clear coat. I wasnt sure if I could even use primer or clear coat with the vinyl piece and I wanted to be safe. The only problem is that the vinyl piece comes out a little matte and the plastic dash pieces come out semi-glossy. Its not a huge deal and not very noticeable, but just something to note.
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #45 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Thanks Havik! I used duplicolor vinyl paint with no primer or clear coat. I wasnt sure if I could even use primer or clear coat with the vinyl piece and I wanted to be safe. The only problem is that the vinyl piece comes out a little matte and the plastic dash pieces come out semi-glossy. Its not a huge deal and not very noticeable, but just something to note.
Still looks good man. I would be painting it black if any thing. Or maybe blue.. now you have me wanting to change out colors...
Old October 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Its taking an incredibly long time to get all this done because I'm so busy with work, but its slowly coming together.

I just wish I could have painted the door latch black, but I wasn't about to take apart that entire system.

Last edited by Desert Rat; October 8th, 2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Been a long time since I posted here, thought I'd add some updates since I just finished installing my spoiler.

(Ignore the condensation in the front head light, its cuz I just washed it and it usually goes away on the drive home)
Need to re-do my plasti job badly, as its extremely blotchy, especially in direct sunlight. Plus I got the swirls bad, need to clay bar and detail. I've been using quik wax to stop it from getting worse, but it needs a full do-over.

Things I've done since last updating:
- Carbon Fiber GSX Wing
- Injen 3" Exhaust
- StopTech drilled & slotted rotors
- Centric ceramic brake pads
- TB Coolant Bypass
- Ralco GS Short Shifter
- Depo Black Bezel Tail Lights
- Painted brake light spoiler
- De-badged, painted, and re-badged emblems
- Finished painting interior
- Aux cable because my CD player broke :^)

Still a lot to do, and I don't think its show worthy just yet, but I'm making progress.

Last edited by Desert Rat; December 17th, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Right after I made this post, I realized my club 4g decal got here, so I slapped it on real fast. Picture is garbage so I'll take better ones monday.

Old December 17th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #49 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Why am I only seeing this thread now? Damn, looks good, I had no idea how detail oriented you were! Keep it up, lets see some moar go-fast stuff

Quick question: what do you think of the stock pedals? I've got the regular rubbers on mine, but wanted to upgrade to something better. There are no made to measure pedals for our cars so was wanting to know more about the optional ones and where I could pick up a set.

Last edited by Plain Jane; December 17th, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #50 (permalink)

It all looks great!!! Keep it up!
Old December 17th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Thanks guys, that means a lot to me! I'm super super super critical of my ride, always comparing myself to GT-R show cars, and I know I shouldn't, so your support means the world to me. Glad you like it
Old December 17th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
JDM Fanatic

Name: Jazziat
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GT
Jazziat is on a distinguished road
Your ride looking shiny ... Go for the next mod ... Coilovers ...
Jazziat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #53 (permalink)

Name: Taylor
nflchick is on a distinguished road
Sweet ride! Eclipses like yours inspire me to do more to my car.
nflchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #54 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Holy shit you guys are too damn nice. I hope no one is paying you to say all these nice things!

Coilovers is on the list, but not a huge priority at this time. I drive over 16 speed bumps per day (just on my daily commute!) as well as a lot of dips and curbs, so I'm afraid to drop it any lower than it already is.
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #55 (permalink)

Just don't slam it and you'll be fine. As much as I support individuality and such, slammed cars just annoy me, both to look at and drive behind lol.

I've still got the stock suspension, but as a habit I take speed bumps at relatively steep angles or try to dip one wheel into the gutter ala Initial D. Never slowed for speed bumps.
Old December 18th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

I wouldn't want to slam it either, I agree with you. If I did drop it, it would only be by a few inches to fill the wheel well and thats about it. There was another member selling a good set of coilovers I was going to buy, but someone beat me to it. I've still got motor mounts to install, headers to buy, and an exhaust to fabricate even further. It never ends!
Old December 18th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #57 (permalink)

Modding a car is a lot like the Star Wars franchise. It never ends, but it can be enjoyable at times lol. It's good to have priorities, but don't stress about it too much, do one thing at a time.

And that was PJ's Thought of the Day™
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #58 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Damn man way to come out of no where with all these updates!

Really liking the way that CF GSX spoiler looks. My buddy has a 4G (not a forum kind of guy as much as I've hassled him) and we've been looking at that one hard.

Also don't know how your exhaust setup sounds but dat burnt tip doh...ermahgad.

Keep it up man!

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
Damn man way to come out of no where with all these updates!

Really liking the way that CF GSX spoiler looks. My buddy has a 4G (not a forum kind of guy as much as I've hassled him) and we've been looking at that one hard.

Also don't know how your exhaust setup sounds but dat burnt tip doh...ermahgad.

Keep it up man!
Thanks Tim! It sounds really good. Very deep at low RPMs and a little higher pitched at higher RPMs, but definitely not like a civic fartcan. I'm still having clearance issues with it rattling against the sub frame though, so I need to take another 1/2" - 1" off from the 1" I already took off... This is my biggest gripe with the Injen exhaust. They say its made for our car but its 2 whole inches too long. I understand body deformation over time but not by 2 whole inches. The burnt tip is definitely a nice touch, though. I just wish the inside was burnt too. You can easily tell its fake burn because of that

The CF GSX wing does look pretty nice. I haven't seen it on many pure reds so this was kind of a shot in the dark, but I like how it turned out. However, one of the ends was longer than the other, length wise, by an entire inch and a half! Are you kidding me?! I payed $450 for this spoiler, it was custom made when I ordered it, I waited 2 weeks for it to be made then shipped, and they fubar'd that hard? Not to mention it had left over buffing residue on the edges, came with no studs, and no double-sided tape. Come on...

That doesn't mean I hate it, though. Installation was still pretty straight forward, as far as installing body parts goes. I didn't have to do any fabrication aside from drilling holes in my trunk, and it seats nice and firm. I accidentally attached one side a little bit farther forward than the other, maybe by an eighth of an inch, but nothing you'd notice unless I pointed it out.

On a side note, I'm probably going to change the name... Tara hasn't stuck as much as I thought it would. I want to name my future daughter Tara so the juxtaposition is weird.

Last edited by Desert Rat; December 19th, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old December 19th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #60 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Quick question: what do you think of the stock pedals? I've got the regular rubbers on mine, but wanted to upgrade to something better. There are no made to measure pedals for our cars so was wanting to know more about the optional ones and where I could pick up a set.
Late to this, but the stock pedals arent bad imo. I actually have the opposite problem where I have too MUCH friction when my converse are even slightly wet, making it hard to release the clutch smoothly.

I actually looked into aftermarket pedals, since I think it would be cool to match the red theme. From my research, the only ones we really can have are clip-on pedals that attach over your stock ones, but apparently they're incredibly unsafe and come loose super easily. The stock pedals are welded to the "arm" so theres no taking them off. You could always weld new pedals over the old ones, or maybe even 3M taping would work. I might try the 3M for shiggles some time.
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #61 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Sweet man thanks for the info - can't tell from the pics that you had any trouble with them so there's always that haha

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #62 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
Sweet man thanks for the info - can't tell from the pics that you had any trouble with them so there's always that haha
Always happy to help. Lemme know if you have any other questions
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Late to this, but the stock pedals arent bad imo. I actually have the opposite problem where I have too MUCH friction when my converse are even slightly wet, making it hard to release the clutch smoothly.

I actually looked into aftermarket pedals, since I think it would be cool to match the red theme. From my research, the only ones we really can have are clip-on pedals that attach over your stock ones, but apparently they're incredibly unsafe and come loose super easily. The stock pedals are welded to the "arm" so theres no taking them off. You could always weld new pedals over the old ones, or maybe even 3M taping would work. I might try the 3M for shiggles some time.
I see, so you'd probably have to replace the entire arm assembly to properly swap pedals. Doesn't seem worth it, and I wouldn't even entertain the thought of clip ons lol. Thanks for the info.

Can relate with the difficulty picking car names too. Named my Eclipse Cecilia after the S&G song, but very rarely refer to her as such. I just call her car.

I'm starting to like Ophelia more. Would've gone with Kali if she were black (Hindu goddess of death and the literal name for the colour. Super badass imo)

This lady:

Last edited by Plain Jane; December 19th, 2016 at 07:54 PM.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Haha I tend to follow the names of greek gods and titans, so I might sway that way. My Tuba in highschool was Atlas, and my marching bass was Apollo
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #65 (permalink)

That works too, lots to draw inspiration from. The root of my name comes from the Roman god of war, Mars (which eventually became Martin) so that's something lol
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:46 AM   #66 (permalink)

Andy, can you explain precisely where you had to cut your Injen catback and why?
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:21 AM   #67 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Andy, can you explain precisely where you had to cut your Injen catback and why?
The catback comes in 3 pieces; The cat + resonator that runs all the way to the back sub frame, the bent piping to go around the sub frame, and the muffler with extension to attach to the bent piping.

I had to cut down the very end of the first piece, past the resonator, by an inch. I have to go back and cut it down another 1/2" or 1" though, because it keeps rattling against the sub frame. When it wasn't cut, the bent piping was pressing against the frame, the muffler was too far forward, and I couldn't get everything to attach to each other.

I wrote a pretty nasty review on ACI for this. I would understand if this was due to basic body deformation over the years, but I'm pretty sure a frame doesnt shrink by a whole inch and a half in it's lifetime, especially when it hasn't been wrecked. There is literally no reason for injen to make it that long. It's not a bad exhaust by any means, I love the sound and the look, but for the price it should be an ACTUAL direct bolt-on. I was lucky enough to have my dad there with a rotary grinder able to cut down 3" stainless steel piping. Other people might not be so lucky.

Last edited by Desert Rat; December 22nd, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:31 PM   #68 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Alright, update on the exhaust; this is mostly for Plain Jane

The rattling was coming from 2 places: the sub frame, and sheet of metal that I presume the bumper attaches to.

Once I took off the exhaust, you can see where it was rubbing against it

So I shaved about an inch off the sheet metal to give it ample room (I forgot to take a photo) and then cut down the exhaust pipe past the resonator by 5/8"

When it was all said and done, I had about this much clearance between the piping and the subframe. Just be careful not to cut it TOO short, or you'll run into clearance issues with the rear sway bar.

It seems close, but so far in the few miles I've driven I haven't heard a single rattle. Heres hoping it stays that way.
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Also, as some of you may or may not have known, my linkage has been twisted since I first bought the car, making it incredibly difficult to shift into 1-3, and often times I was grinding into 3rd at least twice a day because it didn't want to go into gear. It looked like this:

Now it wasn't the linkage that was twisted, but the plastic seating. Its supposed to sit flat. So I took a pair of vice grips and clamped it onto the linkage to hold it in place, then I took another pair of vice grips and grabbed the plastic seating and turned it clockwise until it was flat. Again, I forgot to take an "after" picture because I was too damn excited to no longer be grinding into third, but my shifts are at least twice as smooth now. No more grinding!
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:41 PM   #70 (permalink)

Damn, I hope Injen gets their act together and fixes that. It's supposed to be a direct bolt-on, not a hack job.

Did you regrease that little cup while you were there?
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Quote:
Damn, I hope Injen gets their act together and fixes that. It's supposed to be a direct bolt-on, not a hack job.

Did you regrease that little cup while you were there?
I agree. I can understand it being off by maybe 1/8" or even 1/4" due to body deformation of a 10 year old car, but a whole freaking inch and a half?? It's still a great exhaust, don't get me wrong, but damn... maybe mine was just a bad batch.

I probably should have regreased it, but there was so much left over from when I originally greased it installing my short shifter, I figured it would be fine
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:17 PM   #72 (permalink)

I eventually want to pick up an Injen catback one day, hope it fits right come then.

That's right, you didn't install your Ralco too long ago. Think I skimped out on the grease while struggling with my TWM lol, could use another layer or two.
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Got my RRE headers in, poly mounts, and CM 2.5+ clutch and aluminum flywheel. I have an exhaust leak out of my garbage EGR tube, but I'm hoping to get that fixed soon. Car is loud as fuck and I'm loving it! Not sure of the performance gains quite yet because I don't want to push it with this EGR leak, but my butt dyno is very pleased. Pictures soon to follow

Old March 29th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #74 (permalink)

Awesome sauce. Post up a sound clip of the exhaust and the flywheel chatter if you can, I and some others (probably) would be interested in hearing it.

Tags
car, club, dead, manual, modification, ride, show, thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.