Clutch and Transmission Noise - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ohioguy
Vehicle: 2008 GS
Ohioguy is on a distinguished road
Clutch and Transmission Noise

Hey all,
I've been scouring the forums here for a solution, but I've come across a lot of mixed reports in various threads. This seems to be a sort-of common issue.

Model:
2008 GS (everything stock), 95,000 miles, all my own.

Problem:
Rattling/Whirring/Shuddering noise when clutch pedal is out and car is in neutral.

Example:
Sitting at a light I'll let out the clutch and put the car in neutral. The noise is noticeable, but with the windows up and radio on it's barely audible. If I push the clutch in, the noise goes away entirely. As I shift into first, and release the clutch, the rattling beings again and increases with the RPM of the engine. Again, pushing the clutch in stops the noise and when shifting into second gear it commences. The sound is present, but less noticeable in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. When accelerating in a tunnel, or next to a wall, with the windows down the sound is awful.

Situation:
There's no problem at all shifting gears, the clutch is not slipping, and acceleration is not sluggish. The problem started about 3,000 miles ago as a slight rattling and has gradually gotten louder.

My first instinct was to replace the clutch and components. I got a couple quotes at different shops for about $1,000 for parts and labor, seemed fairly straightforward. I took it to another shop for a diagnosis and the mechanic says it's bearings in the transmission that have gone bad. Trans fluid was okay. He quoted me an unbelievable $4,000 for complete transmission swap and total clutch replacement (labor in CA where I'm at is $130/hr).
I took a video in his shop of the noise with the car lifted. You can hear the whirring/knocking sound: vimeo.com/191296766

I don't want to drop $1k for a new clutch if the problem lies in the transmission. I don't want to drop $2-4k on transmission fixes if this is solved with a throw-out bearing/clutch replacement. I just moved so I have virtually no tools (or time) to do any work myself.

Questions:
Has anyone else experienced this issue, if so, what were the steps you took to solve it?

Here are links to other 4G threads discussing similar problems:
(I can't post full urls at my level)
club4g.org/board/driveline/13136-cluch-making-rattling-noise.html
club4g.org/board/2006-2012-eclipse-general-4g/34064-throw-out-bearing.html
It seems there's conflicting reports in the above links
Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Ohioguy; November 12th, 2016 at 05:05 PM.
Ohioguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
That sounds entirely like a transmission issue, not clutch or engine related.

EDIT: Was on my phone earlier. It's likely that it's the input shaft bearing making noise. Is it still the original gear oil? Did you put something too light in there? Both of those could be things that accelerate the wear. Also, how it's treated. Do you do a lot of long drives where the transmission may see a lot of heat? That cooks the oil, it loses lubricity. Bad for the bearing

Symptoms of the input shaft bearing going are:
-Noise when clutch is released in neutral, as well as all gears
-Noise gets louder at higher engine RPM
-Car may jump out of gear when you press the clutch in

There are lots of other components in the system, but from here that's the best lead I can give you. Most good shops should be able to figure that one out

Throw out bearings squeal or make chirping noises

A junkyard transmission might be a good go. Luckily you have the GS. Much more common than the GT, so you'll have better odds of finding one

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; November 12th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, Sabertooth. Yeah, still original gear oil in there. Long commutes and driving steep hills around San Francisco definitely stressed it. Thinking it's the input shaft bearing, the problems you listed are pretty spot on, not jumping out of gear (yet) though. Going to head to a few shops this week to get a formal diagnosis. I'll update this thread as I make progress for others who might have this problem in the future.
Old November 14th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's less likely based on the symptoms you gave, but a nice free thing you can check is the transmission mount. See if the rubber is rotting away, or if bolts are loose/missing. You should be able to do this by just jacking up the car and crawling under. Or just crawl under if you can fit and start poking around
Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Going to finalize this post for anyone in the future reading this. I took the car to several independent shops around my area, some were larger shops and some small family owned type shops last month. Every mechanic came to the same conclusion: bad bearings in the transmission. The smaller shops don't have the time/resources to rebuild a trans so they quoted me for a complete trans swap. I found a larger shop that outsources all their trans rebuilds for a lower price and got the transmission rebuilt and had the clutch replaced and flywheel resurfaced for no extra labor cost while they were in there. That same shop said they had a Lancer in there with the exact same problem 2 weeks ago. Final cost with parts, taxes, labor, fluids, etc. $2600... ouch. But all strange noises are completely gone (even after 2000 miles driven), shifting is tighter than ever, clutch is incredibly smooth, and I don't expect to have any related problems for the remaining life of the car.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ouch... But I'm happy to hear it's shifting like brand new now. So I guess we can look past that
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Damn... this is foreboding. I have the exact same problem in neutral, but thankfully mine doesn't get worse as I accelerate. You've got me worried, though. Mine might just be the throwout bearing, but I'm unsure. I was going to get a per performance clutch with a replacement throwout bearing soon and hope that solves the issue, but if its the same as your problem, it most likely wont.

I don't have $2600 to throw at a transmission rebuild lol
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Damn... this is foreboding. I have the exact same problem in neutral, but thankfully mine doesn't get worse as I accelerate. You've got me worried, though. Mine might just be the throwout bearing, but I'm unsure. I was going to get a per performance clutch with a replacement throwout bearing soon and hope that solves the issue, but if its the same as your problem, it most likely wont.

I don't have $2600 to throw at a transmission rebuild lol
Costs about $1000 to swap one from a junkyard car here, I'd imagine it would be cheaper in the USA.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Costs about $1000 to swap one from a junkyard car here, I'd imagine it would be cheaper in the USA.
If I can even find one... junkyards with 4Gs are extremely hard to find here, even more so in manual.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here our junkyards are mostly all connected and share stock information. Makes it pretty easy to find things.

That being said... I can assure you that more 4g's were sold in a country that isn't snow for half the year, and has 10x the population. So you're not allowed to complain . Probably still hard to find though, yeah. We shoulda bought cobalts, right? /sarcasm
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Devin
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GT
Latron is on a distinguished road
I don't like the way this is turning out because my car is doing the same thing. I am pretty sure its my input shaft bearing. I still have 2,000 miles left on my extended warranty so I hope they will cover it...
Latron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
$130, 2006, 2008, acceleration, bad, car, clutch, drop, eclipse, engine, gear, issue, light, links, noise, parts, problems, shops, sound, stock, swap, total, transmission, video, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.