Ses code after factory header replacement - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
Ses code after factory header replacement

I recently posted a thread about my clogged exhaust, got the last cat removed in the middle of the car and replaced the headers with factory replacement, my problem is it keeps throwing a code, unsure of code because i dont have a code reader but im certain its from that. My intake has been code free for yrs unless my sensor needs cleaning but my question is what would cause the factory replacement headers to throw a code? Is there anything I can do to fix that?
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
If your o2 sensors are damaged, code. Put in the wrong way, code. Leak at the head, code. And do you mean header or manifold? 2 different things. I'm assuming you mean manifold though.
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Hard to know what to do exactly when you don't have a code, but it's most likely P0421. Spacers on the O2 sensors or a tune is your best bet.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 9th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
SES is airbag/restraint related. Check engine lights are typically abbreviated to CELs, although the proper technical term is malfunction indicator light (MIL)

Buy a cheap code reader at AutoZone, it'll come in handy for things like these. Try swapping OČ sensors and see if it goes away.
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Headers/manifold are what connects to the engine was replaced i went 1,000 miles then now code pops up everytime i clear it havnt checked the code since its been alot going on, car ran sluggish in low end before the code came up, they also deleted a cat in the middle if the car. Ive checked my intake for loose bolts screws and all, and how do you know if they out the sensors in right? I had got one replaced right before i got the headers code was clear til exhaust was clogged. i do need to check the code but advanced auto here doesnt check codes nomore since a guy blew his engine and they had to oay for it lol people always ruin simple things for everyone
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im going ri get it checked and report the code when i get it so maybe i can get a solution ive thought about buying spacers but also need to know thats the problem, it felt faster before i got the exhaust changed i do know that much it revved alot quicker now it like lags on initial acceleration have to double to tripple tap gas to get mivec enguaged
Old January 9th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

For clarification, a header has no cat, a manifold does. You also only have 1, so it's not "headers" or "manifolds".

Deleting the 3rd cat will do nothing sensor wise, as there aren't any sensors after the O2 sensor at the bottom of the manifold/header. It's only the pair of cats on your manifold that affect that. I'm having a hell of a time understanding you too.

So what you have done, if I understand correctly, is:

1: Removed 3rd cat
2: Replaced the original manifold with a new OEM manifold (NOT a header, right?)
3: Replaced one of your O2 sensors (which one)

Really we need the code to know what the actual problem is without wild speculation that could be totally wrong. But you're also saying MIVEC doesn't engage. How do you know? Butt dyno, or are you measuring the electric current to detect the MIVEC control?

If it is related to the emissions system, it will tell us which O2 sensor it is from the code if one of them is bad. Being at 212k miles, it wouldn't be odd for you to be on your 3rd set of O2 sensors (Installed at 0, roughly 100k, and roughly 200k)
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Your correct and we replaced the one when looking at engine from from of car i think banks 1 is the right one right after engine thats the one that was bad, may be wrong about which bank it is but my uncle had got it read on his reader. But the new one I havnt had time to drop it off il be taking it by auto zone or something today if I can just didnt know if there was a reasom the manifold would throw a ses my car is a 2007 gs it actually has been a decent car to make it that many miles and not many problems has its own issues but nothing major just trying to keep it alive lol
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wot lags severely since changing the parts the mivec is what we feel after what 3-4 k rpm mine sometimes lags up to 5 i let off then itl go like normal sometimes it takes a couple stomps i do drive it pretty hard but not like 90 plus constantly just regular 70 speedlimits we all have a heavy foot at some point
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Desert rat had it right lol exact same code p0421 and p0420
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Should i try changing plugs and get spacers to try also? Read the sticky for the codes just still trying to see what else i could do simpily thats the same sensor we just replaced
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If it's the OEM style manifold, you could replace your downstream O2 sensors. They could be fucked. Don't use spacers. Alternatively, the O2 sensors could have been put in the wrong place.

Take a picture of where each one is, and to which plug it goes to. There are 4 O2 sensors.

What's your first language? It may be better to use google translate
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Two grey wires for too two and two black for bottom two sensors but il get a picture by tom when its day light out
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

For top two and black wires for bottom two, my language is supposed to be english but I dont always speak correctly, I tend to type how I talk, my girl has issues understanding me sometimes too so no worries haha
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well now I feel a little bad! Haha.

I just want to be sure your up stream sensors aren't in the downstream position, and downstream in the up. If that were the case likely you'd have other codes too, but it doesn't cost anything to check, right? Where as if we have to get you new sensors, there's some bucks spent.

Both codes you linked suggest however that your bank 1 sensor 2 is no longer functional. Someone with data logging capabilities or a live data scanner near you should be able to read the voltages from the O2 sensor and see if they are normal.

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; January 10th, 2017 at 11:03 PM.
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Haha its all good, my girl says worse about how I talk, your saying that the one replaced is still good just now the next one below it may need changing if its not reading right? I can lookinto it snow clearing up here today and my dad has volt meters and stuff like that if those can be used not sure. My yncle can get the sensors for around $80 so it wouldnt be too much to replace the other one, il report back when I try some tests for them thabks for the info thats why I count on this forum yall all are helpful even when some of us arnt that good at punctuation and spelling or making complete sense haha
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if it's the new one or not, the last O2 sensor I bought new was actually giving me a flat reading of 0.0v (Didn't work at all).

Bank 1 sensor 2 would be the lower one on the passenger side. That's the problem area.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

We havnt changed that side at all my car is a 07 and im sure theyve never been changed got my car with 45,000 its at 209,000 lol
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Might just aswell change them all and keep the (good ones) for a temp spare if anything else ever happened
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you all of your O2 sensors you'd likely have a gain in power and fuel efficiency too. They're all way overdue, aside from the one you just changed
Old January 27th, 2017, 12:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well now mits ran the codes and said it was the sensor i replaced causing problems, what should I try doing send it back and get another? Or is there another issue you think
Old January 27th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Il take a picture in a little bit today if the exhaust and sensors
Old January 27th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've bought a dead O2 sensor before. Got a refund, they wouldn't even take the defective part back.
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Chaz
Vehicle: 2008/GS
doublechaz is on a distinguished road
Chasing a similar issue. In this case the code is P0171 as per the PSA about ebay headers. Great resource. Thanks.
doublechaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

I havnt fixed my issue yet but im assuming the sensor I have is bad since mits stated it but when I change it il know in about 20-1000 miles haha

Tags
car, cat, cleaning, code, exhaust, factory, fix, header, headers, intake, problem, question, replacement, sensor, thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.