Header Bolts - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Sacha
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS 4G69
sachnasty is on a distinguished road
Header Bolts

For whatever reason, My "friends" thought it would be funny to lift my 4G Eclipse GS up and unbolt the headers from the exhaust while I was asleep intending to make my car so loud it could make human ears bleed... My friends without a doubt got the results they were looking for... After a week of having my headers unbolted I got complaints from my neighbors and I myself was very annoyed driving down the freeway with the 4 speed transmission pushing 3000 rpms at all times and even more if I needed to overtake a car or enter a freeway, on top of that it was a really good reason for a cop to pull me over and my check engine light came on (Probably because of the o2 sensors) so I had to put it back together but unfortunately I lost the bolts that connect the headers to the rest of the exhaust system... I managed to find one bolt and I put it on and the check engine light went away but the headers have an awful sounding leak. If anybody knows what size bolts they are It would be greatly needed information because the car that I once loved that was messed up by my immature "friends" is currently really annoying to drive.
sachnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2017, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
No idea the proper size, but I just used whatever happened to fit and some washers.

You probably won't cure the noise with bolts though. If they unbolted your manifold from the downpipe (Stock is a manifold, not a header. Also the GS has only a single one) you'll have lost your flange gasket. About $10 when I last had to buy one, although I don't have a stock exhaust. Should be comparable

Make sure they didn't loosen any of the nuts on the head. They should be ~25ft-lbs each. Start from the middle, work your way out equally (use a torque wrench)

Those sound like such great "friends". I hope they pay for the new gasket! And if you're not familiar with working on cars, they'd better pay to have a shop put a new one in! Exhaust leaks are annoying as hell, and you shouldn't have to tolerate one after their "joke"

Shitty circumstances to have found us, but welcome to the club
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Holy hell your friends are dicks lol
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
So your friends also lost the bolts...holy shit what a bunch of assholes...wish you luck man. You might be able to go to oemitsubishiparts and get the exact sizes you need. And like James said, definitely get a new gasket.

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Sacha
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS 4G69
sachnasty is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the help, and yes my friends will be paying for the parts I need to fix this problem and will be helping me out to put it all together. I heard from someone that the oxygen sensor could potentially be "Blown". I'm not sure if that's possible or true but I drove with the exhaust manifold disconnected from the rest of the exhaust system for a week until I got a check engine light, the light went away when I put it all back together BUT as of right now the leak has gotten worse and the light has come back on again. Everything is under control and I ordered the parts but I travel a lot with my eclipse. Should I worry about the oxygen sensors at all?
Thank you all!
sachnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: James
Sabertooth^2 has a spectacular aura about
I'd focus on fixing the leak first. Did you use a new gasket when you bolted the flange? Also, tighten it down as much as you can. They have a habit of vibrating loose then falling out. Even loose they'll start to leak, and it'll just get louder.

Tags
4g eclipse, back, bolts, car, check engine light, ding, drive, eclipse, eclipse gs, engine, engine light, exhaust, exhaust system, fun, funny, good, header, headers, leak, light, sensors, speed, system, top, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.