P0421 - Page 3 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #81 (permalink)

Name: Tom
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
mot700 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_08GT_Spyder View Post
step 1: buy headers

step 2: install headers

step 3: live with the dummy light, or play with the spacers, or buy an OBD-II scanner to clear it

and IIRC, the recall was only for the GT...

Sounds like a plan

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #82 (permalink)

Name: Matt
mayday295 is on a distinguished road
My code turned out being my catalytic converter, which is covered under warranty until 80,000 miles......unless you have a salvage title then its not covered in case you didn't know.
mayday295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #83 (permalink)

Name: Nelson .'.
Vehicle: C4S
Mr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really nice
^pat is the man, listen to him

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #84 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 GT
bk3939 is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 GT automatic with No Mods or after market parts. This stupid thing went off. Have to take it to the dealer. This code went off before like 3 months ago then it went away now its back. I thought it was the stupid gas cap at first but its not. My car only has 41K. I hope the dealer checks the sensors etc and just doesn't reset it. The next car I buy I'm making sure they service cars on Saturday cause trying to get it in during a work week is way to difficult.
bk3939 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:34 AM   #85 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Well mine started throwing this code now every day! It pisses me off and I've been driving around with my scan tool in the car so I can clear it. I'm at 83k miles and I know the dealer is gonna tell me sorry won't cover it. I was wondering if I can buy the cats cheaper somewhere and install them myself. I thought about headers but I don't want to have to screw with the SES light still coming on. I hate seeing that light on! Adding some screen shots of my reader from the freeze frame data when the code threw.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers

Last edited by Mdixon23; February 21st, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #86 (permalink)

Name: Tom
mot700 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Mdixon23;674418]Well mine started throwing this code now every day! It pisses me off and I've been driving around with my scan tool in the car so I can clear it. I'm at 83k miles and I know the dealer is gonna tell me sorry won't cover it. I was wondering if I can buy the cats cheaper somewhere and install them myself. I thought about headers but I don't want to have to screw with the SES light still coming on. I hate seeing that light on! Adding some screen shots of my reader from the freeze frame data when the code threw.

I was getting that code too from my cats going bad but I just got my OBX long tubes installed a few days ago and no SES lights now. Wasn't going to pay to replace those cats, haha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #87 (permalink)

Name: Cody
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Mr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody had this code and a rough idle? I'm fighting with mine right now because my inspection is due. Trying the spacer deal tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it, Nitro has been kind enough to lend me his OEM front manifold/cat so that's step 2. May even try throwing in a new O2 sensor...

Need to pass this week.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #88 (permalink)

Name: Cody
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Mr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond repute
spent the whole day chasing this damn light...here's what was/is up with mine

the rough idle is a vacuum leak somewhere under the intake manifold...maybe the gasket or o ring around an injector...spraying brake cleaner under the intake manifold paused the rough idle for a second and shot a puff of black smoke out the tail pipe so there is def a leak under there somewhere...

assuming that this leak is causing bank 1 cat to appear to not be "efficient" so once the vacuum leak is gone the light should disappear...

didn't have any intake mani gasket sets local so have some on order...going to take this opportunity to do the outlaw spacers i think...along with plugs. got the shit on order and hopefully after all is said and done i can take the spacer out of my o2 sensor bung and all will be "normal" until i recoup and buy headers
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #89 (permalink)

Name: george o.
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gs
mclovinsauction is on a distinguished road
I had that code too. But I fixed it by replacing the stock header and everything is fine now.after I removed it I saw that one percat was empty .that it had flushed out.idk how...
mclovinsauction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #90 (permalink)

Name: Nelson .'.
Vehicle: C4S
Mr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really nice
i got the rough idle from a leak on the Y pipe..... after changing the gasket the idle got normal..

the leak gave me code P0137, O2 sensor on bank1
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #91 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 GT
bk3939 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey went to the dealer today and they explained to me that even though the code goes away they can still do the check and see if it needs replaced. The dealer said they have to replace this thing all the time. Its a known issue with our cars. They said that mitsubishi is losing a lot of money cause of this issue. Its covered under warranty. He said its a 5 hour job and would cost like $1000 if it wasn't covered under warranty. Just spreading information. 2008GT Auto
bk3939 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #92 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Well warranty is til 80k miles and my light didn't start coming on until 83k. I'm not going to bother with the dealer I've decided to buy headers.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #93 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3939 View Post
Hey went to the dealer today and they explained to me that even though the code goes away they can still do the check and see if it needs replaced. The dealer said they have to replace this thing all the time. Its a known issue with our cars. They said that mitsubishi is losing a lot of money cause of this issue. Its covered under warranty. He said its a 5 hour job and would cost like $1000 if it wasn't covered under warranty. Just spreading information. 2008GT Auto
if the dealer was cool, you could swing a deal with them... i buy RRE headers, you install them for free
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #94 (permalink)

Name: Brady
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
silent has a spectacular aura about
My car is throwing this code now too. I guess I need to save up for some RRE headers because I'm over 80k miles. It's going to take me a couple months to save up the $. How bad is it for the car to ride around with this issue? Ive noticed my car is more sluggish since the code appeared a week and a half ago.
silent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:54 AM   #95 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic Si
jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
Been throwing this code as well as p0431 for two years. Gutting my cats next weekend and solving that problem.
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #96 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Name: Rick
Vehicle: 2008 GT-SC
dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
So I'm guessing this is one of the rear o2 sensors?

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
dejectedangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #97 (permalink)

Name: Cleo
Vehicle: 06/eclipse/gt-p
dream_come_true is a jewel in the roughdream_come_true is a jewel in the rough
I've had this code since 62,000km and I'm at 222,000km. I do notice o power loss, after I reset the ecu (disconnect the battery ) she gets all snappy again but after about 60km of driving the code comes back and puts me into closed loop. Is there a way to trick the ecu to not do this ?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #98 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Name: Tanner
Boatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejectedangle View Post
So I'm guessing this is one of the rear o2 sensors?
Yeah it's basically signaling to the ECU that the cats are not working efficiently.

OBX longtubes, SRI, Helix TB spacer, Stiffy, Flowmaster, RL Cutout,
EVO wing, halo fogs, black projectors, Konig sideways, 09 front end swap, Kicker SS.
Boatright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #99 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
Thanks I just never understand the low/ high voltage or bank 123 and up stream and down streem idk I need to learn about this shit

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #100 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
It's saying the 02 sensors basically are not reading enough airflow. This happens because our cars (2006) were much more rich from factory then 2007-2012 years were. This cause the two cats in the headers to start getting clogged up, not allowing enough air to flow through, and allowing some exhaust fumes to bounce back towards the engine, which isn't good. Gutting the cats and putting spacers on the rear o2 sensors will solve this issue, or getting new headers from rre, obx, ripp etc.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #101 (permalink)

I got obx lt with spacers and still have the code next is to try replace the two rear o2 sensors. I hope that works
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #102 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Boatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of lightBoatright is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_come_true View Post
I got obx lt with spacers and still have the code next is to try replace the two rear o2 sensors. I hope that works
Are you using actual spacers or spark plug nonfoulers?

EVO wing, halo fogs, black projectors, Konig sideways, 09 front end swap, Kicker SS.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #103 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

I'm sorry if I'm going a little OT but how would you measure the voltage from the sensor and what kind of volt meter should be used?

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #104 (permalink)

I'm using spark plug de foulers with half inch drilled out of the one the sensor screws into
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #105 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
I'm using spark plug de foulers with half inch drilled out of the one the sensor screws into
But you're stacking two for each sensor?

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM   #106 (permalink)

Yes sir lol idk hope it's the sensors but west side and south side mitsu played me off till warrenty ran out then told me straight up f*ck off !! So I just keep trying different things
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejectedangle View Post
I'm sorry if I'm going a little OT but how would you measure the voltage from the sensor and what kind of volt meter should be used?
I have read you get a digital reading volt meter, hold the black lead to chassis or engine block and hold the positive lead to the wires you wanna check. Though that would mean I would have to learn which each color wire does but im sure its easy to understand.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM   #108 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
Yes sir lol idk hope it's the sensors but west side and south side mitsu played me off till warrenty ran out then told me straight up f*ck off !! So I just keep trying different things
Thats what i'm onto now as well lol. Im gonna try resetting the ECU tonight and stack on another de-fouler.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #109 (permalink)

So three on each one ? Wouldn't that make it worse by taking it further away from the stream ?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #110 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

Quote:
So three on each one ? Wouldn't that make it worse by taking it further away from the stream ?
Nooooo, lol. I only have the one bored out on there now. So two stacked.

Old May 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #111 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06/Eclipse/GT
HypNotiQ has a spectacular aura about
ok dumb question.. how many O2 sensors does our car have and where are they located?
HypNotiQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #112 (permalink)
Autocityimports Rep

Name: Jason
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
OrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypNotiQ View Post
ok dumb question.. how many O2 sensors does our car have and where are they located?
I am going to say 4 and on the exhaust. Then im going to say this :search function ....... anything else and the hammer will come down. Just know if i could without consequence you would be in the oven.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Jason Willis - Mitsubishi Support and Sales Specialist
www.autocityimports.com
2006+ Eclipse Product Page
Jason@autocityimports.com
586-797-9083
OrangeDemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #113 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06/Eclipse/GT
HypNotiQ has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDemon View Post
I am going to say 4 and on the exhaust. Then im going to say this :search function ....... anything else and the hammer will come down. Just know if i could without consequence you would be in the oven.

i did use the search function.. and nothing came up about where they are or how many.
HypNotiQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #114 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

two before the pre-cats and two after.

Old May 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #115 (permalink)
Autocityimports Rep

OrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatright View Post
two before the pre-cats and two after.
Fyi.......A pop of the hood and a quick look could have you told this. .... being a member since 2007 and not knowing this elementary information is a shame. But you know now. Whats ur next question?

www.autocityimports.com
586-797-9083
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #116 (permalink)
REDLINE

1 Highscore

very true.

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #117 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Let's keep this on topic. If you guys have an argument take it to PM's.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #118 (permalink)
Autocityimports Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
Let's keep this on topic. If you guys have an argument take it to PM's.
You could have let him post my life story first! Lol im done. Good luck with your o2 sensors brotha. Mine suck and never want to read correctly

www.autocityimports.com
586-797-9083
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #119 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Mine had some reading issues too for awhile. But mainly because my cats were clogged and throwing this code plus p0431. I just gutted my cats andhave spacers in the mail to fix the issue.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #120 (permalink)
Autocityimports Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
Mine had some reading issues too for awhile. But mainly because my cats were clogged and throwing this code plus p0431. I just gutted my cats andhave spacers in the mail to fix the issue.
I got rre with spacers and still didnt solve my issue. Next step is to turn off the rear 02's with a tune. We only need the fronts to tell the pcm the narrow afr.

www.autocityimports.com
586-797-9083

Tags
2006, back, bumper, car, catalytic, code, cold, converter, dent, ecu, engine, fix, good, light, list, o2 sensor, offer, parts, problems, rear, reflash, sensors, system, warranty, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.