P0421 - Page 4 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #121 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
if you have to replace o2 sensors i suggest the bosch ones. they are great and its what i used when i busted one.
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #122 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT - factory
cllamont is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
Been throwing this code as well as p0431 for two years. Gutting my cats next weekend and solving that problem.
How do you gut the cats on the 2006 GT? THey are on the manifold
cllamont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #123 (permalink)
Be afraid...very afraid!!

Name: chuck
Vehicle: 06 GT M/T
chuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllamont View Post
How do you gut the cats on the 2006 GT? THey are on the manifold
search button on top of the forum homepage has alot of threads on this...gl
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 15th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #124 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
Gutting the cats won't solve that problem...
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #125 (permalink)
I love To Drift

Name: Jeremy
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT
Animefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Depends on if theirs a chinese resturant near by. Then they may buy them and you could use the money to re-do your exhaust LOL.

I plan on having no cats on mine. But then I'm also using headers and it will be slightly illegal .
Animefreak1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Why won't it? I thought the code was caused by the difference in temperature between the upstream and downstream sensors. Gutting the cat would allow the air to flow freely past both sensors. A clogged cat prevents that, right?
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #127 (permalink)

Name: Michael
hackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nicehackish is just really nice
First of all, if you cut off your factory cats you could probably finance 1/2 the price of a knockoff header with the money you get from a cat recycler. I used to get $80 a pop for OEM cats when platinum and other rare metals were expensive.

Second, the ECU monitors not only temp drop, but the amount of time it takes for the front and rear O2 sensor to rise or fall above and below 14.7. Cats absorb and store oxygen as part of their reaction so a proper delay allows the ECU to monitor if the cat efficiency is within specs. P0420 is a cat efficiency below threshold. P0421 is the cat temp. If the cat has properly fired off it will expect that a certain amount of heat loss and heat gain depending on the mixture. Replace it with a straight through pipe you're likely to replace your P0421 with a P0420.

-Michael

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
hackish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #128 (permalink)

Name: Derek
Vehicle: 06 Gs Auto
derek-g will become famous soon enough
I have this problem and I just noticed today my rear o2 sensors are bad I smell the rotten egg sme since we don't truly need the rears would it be better to buy plugs and plug the rears rather than keep buying o2 sensors? I have rre headers and spacers

http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...clipse-gs.html
derek-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #129 (permalink)

Name: Jorge
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
synthax_error is on a distinguished road
First of all, I'm gonna ask you guys to excuse my ignorance. I'm a happy owner of the 06 GT since about two weeks ago.

Alright, here I go:

I got the p0421 code and the dealership said I should replace my cat. Now, the question is:

1) How many cats (and/or precats) does the GT have?
2) Is there a difference between the warm up catalyst and the cats?
3) Or is it just a different way to name the same part?
4) Where is it located?

Your will be very much appreciate it, I don't want a hole in my pocket so I wanna do things right.

(:

-Jorge

Last edited by synthax_error; January 18th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
synthax_error is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthax_error View Post
First of all, I'm gonna ask you guys to excuse my ignorance. I'm a happy owner of the 06 GT since about two weeks ago.

Alright, here I go:

I got the p0421 code and the dealership said I should replace my cat. Now, the question is:

1) How many cats (and/or precats) does the GT have?
2) Is there a difference between the warm up catalyst and the cats?
3) Or is it just a different way to name the same part?
4) Where is it located?

Your will be very much appreciate it, I don't want a hole in my pocket so I wanna do things right.

(:

-Jorge
I got my 06 GT when they first came out. YOU are happy now - give it a few months and come back and tell us how happy you are then. Unless you got the car for free, it isnt worth the money to replace a cat.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek-g View Post
I have this problem and I just noticed today my rear o2 sensors are bad I smell the rotten egg sme since we don't truly need the rears would it be better to buy plugs and plug the rears rather than keep buying o2 sensors? I have rre headers and spacers
SO you are saying remove the rear O2 sensors and just plug the holes? Wont that trip codes sensor there will be no readings from the rear sensors?
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #132 (permalink)

Mitsubishi Eclipse Weapon R Angled O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator

Has anyone used this? Will it fit on that downstream sensor that is back near the firewall and way down on the bottom?
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #133 (permalink)

Name: Tom
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
mot700 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllamont View Post
Mitsubishi Eclipse Weapon R Angled O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator

Has anyone used this? Will it fit on that downstream sensor that is back near the firewall and way down on the bottom?

I would like to know if anyone has used this as well. I've had a service engine soon light on since I got my OBX longtubes installed last year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #134 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Jeremy'sGT will become famous soon enough
Old ass thread I know but I just got this stupid ass code. Would it even be worth it to replace the rear 02 sensor? Or just save for headers?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
13% tint all around, black OEM headlights, red OEM taillights, DRL Delete, DeBadged, Dipped front bumper, 6000 K lows, 3000k fogs, black spoiler, megan ez street coilovers, 20mm spacers in the front, 25mm spacers in the rear.
Jeremy'sGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGtMonster View Post
Old ass thread I know but I just got this stupid ass code. Would it even be worth it to replace the rear 02 sensor? Or just save for headers?

I had the rear sensor replaced before I got P0421. I had P0301. THe sensor is only about 3 years old and I got the P0421 a little over a year ago.
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #136 (permalink)

Driving just fine with P0421 for 1.5 years

I clear the code once in a while but it comes back on anywhere within 20 minutes to 2 days. I had that lower sensor replaced before the P0421 ever appeared so it is the only sensor that is not the original that came with the car 105K miles ago. I have to think that if it was something other than just a bad sensor, I would have had some problems by now. I havent lost ever performance or fuel economy. With these many miles, I have not buying a new cat.

Should I try some new sensors or just keep rolling with my old friend SES light?
Old December 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #137 (permalink)

Name: Nelson .'.
Vehicle: C4S
Mr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really nice
What mods do you have?

Eclipse has a 3 cycle phase...

Once its done the light will come back on
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fish Tank View Post
What mods do you have?

Eclipse has a 3 cycle phase...

Once its done the light will come back on
I have no mods. Just had the dealership replace the rear O2 sensor that is suppose to b the culprit for P0421. I had a different code at the time. Rode with the new sensor for a couple of years and then P0421 and P0421pd started to come up.
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #139 (permalink)

Name: Nelson .'.
Vehicle: C4S
Mr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really niceMr Fish Tank is just really nice
most of us got this code due the headers.. maybe your stock header is done
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #140 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
Got a letter from Mitsubishi corporate today extending the warranty on the exhaust manifold catalytic converter, now up to 10 years or 120k miles. The extension is for 06-08 V6's w/ that 'experience catalyst layer separation'. Go to the dealer, get it done for free.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwings View Post
Got a letter from Mitsubishi corporate today extending the warranty on the exhaust manifold catalytic converter, now up to 10 years or 120k miles. The extension is for 06-08 V6's w/ that 'experience catalyst layer separation'. Go to the dealer, get it done for free.
Is this for everyone or do you need that letter?

13% tint all around, black OEM headlights, red OEM taillights, DRL Delete, DeBadged, Dipped front bumper, 6000 K lows, 3000k fogs, black spoiler, megan ez street coilovers, 20mm spacers in the front, 25mm spacers in the rear.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #142 (permalink)

You may need the letter as it lists the VIN, but certainly worth calling and asking. The new Mitsubishi website Owners section still lists the old warranty, so maybe letters are still going out too. (I really like the new site btw.) I'm not sure if this issue is related to the ECU update recall from 07 (EMR-06-002), but that affected the manifold catalytic converter too. Letter attached here, has the number to call and info, hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1003.jpg (32.9 KB, 52 views)
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #143 (permalink)

If this is true, it is pure bullshit if every single Eclipse owner with a car from those years doesn't get one.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #144 (permalink)

Yeah I'm interested because I have that year eclipse and my check engine light shows up for this code.

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #145 (permalink)

If you bought used they may not know who you are. Register on the Mitsubishi site so they can find you.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
If you bought used they may not know who you are. Register on the Mitsubishi site so they can find you.
I called them today. and learned that that letters are only going to owners in certain states based on the emissions laws. The guy on the phone named off about 6 states - CA and RI were two of them. My state was not so I guess I am screwed while other people get their cars fixed. This is why I will never buy anything from Mitsubishi. They are taking the cheap way out.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #147 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
PerfectCreature will become famous soon enough
I wonder if the dealership will cover those who already placed aftermarket headers on their cars.
PerfectCreature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #148 (permalink)

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2006/GT/Coupe
ThePriest31 is on a distinguished road
Take the cats out, buy RRE headers. Best investment ive ever done for the car. It never blows the code anymore.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest31 View Post
Take the cats out, buy RRE headers. Best investment ive ever done for the car. It never blows the code anymore.
Right - that is the most common solution presented on this site but that costs money and if you have over 100K on a 2006, you have to wonder if it is worth the investment if you dont have the skill to do it yourself. Some of us just want to drive the car the way it came from he factory without any bullshit codes.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #150 (permalink)

I am thinking of launching a campaign or writing a complaint to call out Mitsubishi for offering warranty extensions on the cat for owner of the 06 and 07 in just certain states. Every owner int he country deserves this extension. Will anyone sign a petition or back me?
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #151 (permalink)

I get why you're pissed, I'd be too, but Mitsubishi is hardly the first auto manufacturer to split hairs to mitigate $ loss on recalls and extended warranties. The fact they've made this small step means they could open it to more states w/ the right amount of pressure from owners. So yes, I'll sign your petition.

But what's going on w/ your current code the dealer can't fix? have they diagnosed it and you just can't afford to fix or are they acting clueless? When was the first time you took it to the dealer with this issue? If you were under 80k miles they should retro-activate the warranty now that issue is acknowledged by corporate. They'll likely be assholes about it, but it depends on your relationship w/ your dealer. Always good to make friends at the dealer service center for this reason. Going the RRE Headers route is not the worst idea, but you should be able to keep it stock and not throw codes because of a defect.

I have 75k miles on my '06 and don't have this issue (yet), but the RRE headers are a bad option for me as it won't pass CA smog check. I say keep fighting, be patient and good luck! Fortunately you don't have major performance or reliability issues otherwise.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
I get why you're pissed, I'd be too, but Mitsubishi is hardly the first auto manufacturer to split hairs to mitigate $ loss on recalls and extended warranties. The fact they've made this small step means they could open it to more states w/ the right amount of pressure from owners. So yes, I'll sign your petition.

But what's going on w/ your current code the dealer can't fix? have they diagnosed it and you just can't afford to fix or are they acting clueless? When was the first time you took it to the dealer with this issue? If you were under 80k miles they should retro-activate the warranty now that issue is acknowledged by corporate. They'll likely be assholes about it, but it depends on your relationship w/ your dealer. Always good to make friends at the dealer service center for this reason. Going the RRE Headers route is not the worst idea, but you should be able to keep it stock and not throw codes because of a defect.

I have 75k miles on my '06 and don't have this issue (yet), but the RRE headers are a bad option for me as it won't pass CA smog check. I say keep fighting, be patient and good luck! Fortunately you don't have major performance or reliability issues otherwise.
Thanks, I have 106K miles on my 06 and I never took it to a dealer. I have been driving with the P0421 and also sometimes P0421pd for over a year. It actually goes away by itself on some rare occasions. I clear it now and again and it will stay off for a few days or a few hours. I think it is more prominent in the winter.

I figure that my car has the same fault that they built into those cars in other states. I paid them or my car just like those owners in other states. I deserve the same that the other owners are getting. I have to think that there are some legal ramifications that made them offer the extension because offering it to only some of the owners simply is not fair.

I am going to call and see if I can get to the zone manager. I did have a fairl y good relationship with a dealer - they even posted a letter I wrote to congratulating them on the excellent service they gave me when I had to have my entire dashboard replaced TWICE for the heat bubbles, AND the entire stereo replaced when it died, AND the other cat when it burned up, AND the driver side widow when it was making a noise...and that isn't all I have had to do with this thing. Buying it was the biggest mistake I ever made but I was laid off 10 months ago and I can not afford to get a better car now. Just holding on and hoping it doesn't die before I can find a job.
Old January 20th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #153 (permalink)

Name: george o.
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gs
mclovinsauction is on a distinguished road
I had that problem to but I fixed it already.the problem on my gs was that one per cat was bad so I replaced the header an problem fix .i bought a used header on here.
mclovinsauction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:31 AM   #154 (permalink)

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2006/GT/Coupe
ThePriest31 is on a distinguished road
Cllamont- I bought my 06 with 84k and missed it by 4k miles and they didn't even budge They will do the reflash and that's it. I hope it works out for you though, and yes if you go to the RRE headers I'm sure you could find someone in your area that would help you out. Little bit of a process for the install but not impossible.
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM   #155 (permalink)

Name: Red Star
Vehicle: 2006/Mitsubishi/Eclipse
red77star is on a distinguished road
This problem is caused by dirty injectors. Option A: clean injectors, Option B: clean them using Lucas product; just put it in gas tank and your light will go off in short time. I would suggest to use Lucas 2-3 times and you will never see a light. This O2 problem is caused by the fact your car runs lean and the reason for it are dirty injectors. Good Luck.
red77star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #156 (permalink)

Name: Robert
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Silver2006GT is on a distinguished road
We got the P0421 code recently on our 2006 Eclipse. We took it into the dealer today to have it evaluated and hopefully get it fixed. We were hoping to have it covered under the warranty, as the Eclipse only has 61K miles. Unfortunately, since we live in Texas, they won't cover it. This is arbitrary and absurd. I will definitely be calling their 800 number and letting know what I think about it.

The problem is not caused by dirty injectors. I found out that this cat was already replaced once under recall/warranty by a dealer when the car had only 5K miles! This happened frequently on the V6 cars, especially before the EMR-06-002 recall. The problem is that the engine was/is running too rich. The extra fuel is being burned up in the cat. This destroyed them prematurely.

Last edited by Silver2006GT; May 21st, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Silver2006GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #157 (permalink)

Name: Blaise
Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT
BVigilante is on a distinguished road
Code P0421

I had the check engine light checked at autozone.
Has anyone had experience just changing the O2 sensor? Was it difficult? Where is it? Did it fix the problem.
I feel like a moron, I keep finding things wrong with this car and I only had it for a couple of days already. I think that the jerk that sold it to me knew there were problems.
Please help...
BVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #158 (permalink)

Name: Matt
mayday295 is on a distinguished road
@BVigilante

I did not change the O2 sensor because I was 99% positive it was a bad cat (there was a recall/extended warranty for it in a number of our cars).

Instead I bought Spacers for my air sensors by the cats and have not had the code since.
mayday295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:15 AM   #159 (permalink)

Name: Blaise
Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT
BVigilante is on a distinguished road
Do you have a part number? Was it easy to install? I am taking my 2007 to the repair shop to see if the mechanic can locate the problem. He told me that the universal fit CAT is only about $180.

Last edited by BVigilante; March 22nd, 2016 at 08:17 AM.
BVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #160 (permalink)

Name: Matt
mayday295 is on a distinguished road
Check this thread out:

Code P0431 (FRONT-PRECAT) FIXED!

Just install on the air sensor reporting the problem.
mayday295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006, back, bumper, car, catalytic, code, cold, converter, dent, ecu, engine, fix, good, light, list, o2 sensor, offer, parts, problems, rear, reflash, sensors, system, warranty, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.