starter or alternator problem! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jesse Sepulveda
Vehicle: 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
allstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really nice
starter or alternator problem!

how can you tell if the starter or the alternator are messed up. i have a brand new batter(1 month old) so i know its not the battery. my car wont turn on, im so sad! can somebody tell me how to take off the starter and the alternator. is there a device that can tell you whats not working!? please help!!!
|AEM modified CAI|K&N Filter|HKS 2.5 headerback exahust|Ingalls stiffy|Eibach sportline springs| Modified Bronze clutch|Outlaw Engineering spacers|TB Bypass|sRalliart eyelids|Ralliart spoiler|Rota P45R front17X9 +25 and 18X9.5 +30 rear|
allstarflash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
get alternator tested? Do you hear the starter making a sound when you try to turn the car over? Also you could hit up an auto store and they could mostly lend you (if not sell you) a device to check, just my guess.

Mods: Cobb "Stage 3" OTS tune, Ebay hood scoop w/ Sti air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 turbo w/turbo blanket, sti pink injectors, Megan engine and transmission mounts...more to come

Last edited by Ballfade; May 15th, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

allstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really niceallstarflash is just really nice
where is the starter!?
|AEM modified CAI|K&N Filter|HKS 2.5 headerback exahust|Ingalls stiffy|Eibach sportline springs| Modified Bronze clutch|Outlaw Engineering spacers|TB Bypass|sRalliart eyelids|Ralliart spoiler|Rota P45R front17X9 +25 and 18X9.5 +30 rear|
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
SoCal3G

Name: Vince
Vehicle: 3G DOHC, B5 A4 Quattro
VinceDprincE is on a distinguished road
when you turn the key to start,

clicking sound - battery is dead

no clicking sound - starter is done

there are also instances that the starter plunger isn't going down to hit the motor. hit your starter a couple of times.
VinceDprincE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X ; 06 Eclipse GS
RallyRex08 is on a distinguished road
You might have a bad connection..considering you just put a new battery in... Did this happen before or after you put a new battery in?

make sure clamps are tight...try again

Do the lights on the dash come on? Or is the car is just DEAD?

if battery lost charge from loose clamps..you may need to recharge it

The alternator won't cause vehicle to not start...just not charge battery enough to engage starter..

You need to check battery voltage with a digital multimeter...if you don't have one, autozone can check it with theyre machine
At idle, battery voltage should be between 13-15 volts, that means alternator is charging
if it is below 13 volts, alternator is bad....

need more info....
RallyRex08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

there is not clicking noises after i turn the key!!! i will try hitting the starter right now!
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

so i found out it was my starter i took it off...it was really easy...it took me about 15-20 mins. when i took it off there was a small bolt in the hole where the flywheel is at. im guess its a bolt that is attached to the flywheel. the starter doesnt work cause there a piece of metal stuck in between the thing spins....well...does anybody want me to make a HOW TO: remove and change a starter!?
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
might as well, some people should be facing those problems soon. Thanks in Advance

Mods: Cobb "Stage 3" OTS tune, Ebay hood scoop w/ Sti air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 turbo w/turbo blanket, sti pink injectors, Megan engine and transmission mounts...more to come
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X ; 06 Eclipse GS
RallyRex08 is on a distinguished road
Good job man! congrats..bet you feel pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarflash View Post
so i found out it was my starter i took it off...it was really easy...it took me about 15-20 mins. when i took it off there was a small bolt in the hole where the flywheel is at. im guess its a bolt that is attached to the flywheel. the starter doesnt work cause there a piece of metal stuck in between the thing spins....well...does anybody want me to make a HOW TO: remove and change a starter!?
RallyRex08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

ok i shall be getting my new starter in on tuesday, so i will do it then!
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRex08 View Post
Good job man! congrats..bet you feel pretty good
i thought it was going to be really hard to take it off...i do feel good!!! lol

Tags
battery, brand, brand new, car, how to, problem, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.