Trouble Cranking with P0174 and p0421 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Cody
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Mr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond repute
Trouble Cranking with P0174 and p0421

Title says it all. Was getting on the interstate for a 100 mile drive yesterday and punched it. Threw a SES, assumed it was the same ol bank 2 lean or whatever that occasionally pops up so I ignored it. Half way or so through the trip i threw on the traction lights (also pop up from time to time with this SES).

HOWEVER:

Today I woke up for work and my car was a bit hesitant to crank. Ignored it because it was a bit colder than it has been lately and I just had the oil changed yesterday (was synthetic 5w20 > now running syn 5w30 for the cooler months). Got to work (drove fine), worked 5 hours, and went out to go home. Took a good 30 seconds or so to crank. At this point I'm like ok, not the usual SES bs.

Went to Auto Zone to have the codes scanned and left the car running til I got home and parked it. I did notice a slight miss every few seconds.

Having said all this and looking at the codes I'm assuming a mix of my usual SES (P0174) and a fouled spark plug???

Open to other ideas but this is what I came up with. Haven't had a chance to pull any plugs yet as I just got off work and my parents are coming through for lunch not to mention I don't have a spark plug socket.

Ideas? Concerns? Suggestions?

(Mods listed in sig. Nothing new has been put on in the last few months)

P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Last edited by Mr DSM; August 31st, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Mr DSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Vehicle: 05 Lancer Evolution
Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
Mileage? Hmmm. I'm thinking when you hammered it it misfired ( one of the few codes that doesn't have to pend, it puts the light up as soon as you misfire). TCL light going on could be a million things, but most of the time it goes up when multiple SES lights are thrown at once.

Hard starting in my experience has been because of fuel pressure problems (ie bad or failing fuel pump). But without knowing the code its tough to troubleshoot. Assuming that the car has good compression and spark (timing is right, good plugs, good coils), my money is on fuel.
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Ricoswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Ricoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant futureRicoswave has a brilliant future
I don't get where the trailing 02 voltage would influence cranking/starting.
Its just the catalytic converter police!
Progress Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI, Full 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, Aero Turbine 2540I Muffler, Ripp Long Tube Headers (SES Free), Dynomax High Flow Cat, Thrush Stainless Resonator, Ripp Poly Motor Mounts, Glowshift Gauge Pod and Gauges, GTech SS, Custom Glass Radiator Hose, TWM GS Short Shifter w/ custom reverse lockout, TB Bypass, Red Neon Decklid
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond reputeMr DSM has a reputation beyond repute
45k miles.

It was running perfect all week until I hammered it yesterday and the SES came on (ran fine then but didn't try cranking it after I got home til this morning).
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Could be bad gas. Or maybe you got sloppy at the pump and put 87 in it?

Can't tell you how many times I went to fill mine up and had my hand on the 87 button knowing that my other car runs the cheap shit......
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Bad gas or moisture in the fuel would justify the hard start and light misfire.
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

doubt its gas. Been on the same tank all week. Gas light came on last night when I got home. (I've been lower on gas than this before so its not a lack of gas creating crappy starts, plus i put about a quarter tank in just to be sure and it's starting the same way).

I noticed that when I first try to crank it it sounds like a dead battery until it turns a bit, then it peps up and cranks. I'll make a video of it in a bit for audio etc..
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
-cruzer-

Name: joeyc
Vehicle: 2006 ECLIPSE GT
JoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to all
just a battery!
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
-cruzer-

JoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to allJoeyC is a name known to all
lol jk
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
-cruzer-

maybe its your battery connection make sure there clean or it wont start right !!!
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

got some pics and a video. uploading them now. my battery tie down is corroded which is strange. but the battery connections look pretty clean. starting to think it's electrical because when i tried to roll up my windows with the car off they were a bit slower than normal.

pics and video to come.
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...-06-35_842.mp4
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...-07-15_549.mp4

Last edited by Mr DSM; September 1st, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

cant get the videos to embed so the links are posted to them ^^
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lathe Master

Haggard ass battery?
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Name: 370z's are pieces of lateral shit
Vehicle: 2012 nissan frontier v6
snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
maybe a bad battery,the corrosion is coming from the caps where you add water maybe cause the acid is trying to boil.i recently changed out the shitty oem battery and went with a sealed battery.
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think I'm going to try to swap batteries tomorrow with a buddy and see how it cranks. If it solves the problem then I guess a new battery is in my future. Anybody know if warranty will cover it? Its an 08 with time to spare on my bumper to bumper.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Love My Truck

snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
i wouldnt get another oem battery.550 cranking amps seems weak to me.i have the gs and i upgraded to 800 ca at zero degrees and 940 cca at 32 degrees.if you dont want anymore corrosion,go sealed,maintenance free.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Update:

Haven't had a chance to try out a different battery due to weather and work. My SES light has turned itself off though.
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Put jumpers to it yesterday to see what would happen and it cranked like a champ. Definitely a battery. Getting the dealer to check the charging system when I take it in to get my door stop fixed that broke.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Cranks like a champ now. Just a dying battery.

Last edited by Mr DSM; September 7th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Nice !

Tags
auto, car, drive, good, king, lights, mods, oil, plugs, rip, spark, spark plug, synthetic, system, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.