P0442 (Small Evap Leak) - FIX - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
P0442 (Small Evap Leak) - FIX

Hey everyone!

I think this has been covered, but I couldnt find it. Hopefully others find this useful...

I know most of the time trouble code P0442 is most likely a leaky gas cap, but in my case, I've been through 4 diff gas caps, and finally found my real problem.

I inspected all the lines, and the cars pretty clean. I like to think I take care of my baby.. but as you can see....

I filled up on gas one day and noticed at my rear wheel a small drip of gas at my next stop, then inspected the car again and noticed this...

a leak from the fuel line bracket.

as you can see, the fuel lines look fine at first glance, but after crawling under there, I see the likely culprit...a rusty line...

now I want to get the bracket off to fully inspect the lines...
sprayed all bolts with wd-40, waited...... broke all but 2 bolts. they were really rusted...
as I'm trying to get the bracket off, I notice its full of dirt and rocks and dosent want to come off...

I finally get it off and its full of dirt/muds/rocks/rust/etc...

Notice my drain holes are clogged and the rust lines in the mud from the rusty lines...

look back up at my lines and found the problem....
2 broken/missing lines....

took the rear wheel splash guard off to get a side view...
(notice all the mud on the fuel lines, its gotten past the splash guard and just seeps down the lines.)

It was either wait and order oem part for like $280.00 or fix now....

Heres what I did, it cost me about $9.00 with 6.4mm fuel line from auto parts store and 4 small hose clamps...

cut all the rusted sections out... DONT MIX UP THE LINES. maybe do 1 line at a time...
PLEASE NOTE= In my case, my FILLER line is not broken, but it is rusty, I'll need to repair it soon. I'm just repairing the 2 small fuel lines for now...I think there return lines, or fuel vapor lines..not sure...)

then add the 6.4mm ID fuel line over one end, leaving enough slack to get the hose clamp on....then over the other end...dont forget the other hose clamp....
(I got 2, 2 feet pieces of line, and figured I'd cut the extra, but ended up useing it all. figuered the more the better and the more clamps I could put on.)

side shot (notice 6.4mm just past my thumb)

heres the bracket after I cleaned most of the dirt and mud out...
That rock in the hole fell out after the pic....

I havent put the bracket back on yet, but will soon. Was waiting to see it it fixed the problem... 2 weeks so far, NO more check engine light! = D
( I might make my drain holes a little bigger before putting it back on the car.)

Id say its a good idea to keep an eye on those 2 drain holes...
looks like everything from your real wheel finds its way into that bracket...even past your rear wheel spalsh guard...

EVERYONE GO CHECK YOUR DRAIN HOLES! : )

Last edited by ryguy; November 3rd, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
GREAT SAFETY FIND and repair Ryan!!

I hope our Mediators are monitoring and STICKY this Post!!

Seeings how that shield is there just to protect those lines in case of an accident
I would drill those holes larger, in fact a couple extra drain holes would not hurt!!

I just checked my lines and I'm good to go (5 minutes or < to check), with flash light.
I am in a different environment, hot, dry, and don't normally take my car in weather.

High recommend those who drive in snow (salted Roads) and mud/road dirt conditions
to check this area out!! I see how this area can be easily packed with snow, ice,
road salt, and mud during the Winter months.

Once again Ryan, good safety find, thanks!!

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Last edited by Clovisman; June 16th, 2015 at 01:26 PM.
Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

ryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to allryguy is a name known to all
Thanks Clovisman!=D

I was going to try to make a "how to" then realized I'm missing a few steps... but at least I can show others a good spot to inspect and keep an eye on.
If everyone is aware if this bracket, then hopefully no one else will have this issue.

The repair only took about an 1-1.5 hours. Its pretty straight foreward... just the bolts that hold the bracket were rusted and I broke all but 2 of them... (at least thats enough to hold it back on...I may try to tap a hole or punch out the rest of the bolts that are stuck. I have the lines zip tied up at the moment.)

theres 1 bolt kinda hideing.... its easier to get to if you take the rear wheel splash guard off....but I took it off/broke it off from the bottom...

Deff a good thing to keep an eye on those drain holes everyone.
(Like Clovisman said, it only takes less then 5 min to check these holes.)

and a side note, to people that may have the same issue...
I was able to drive the car with those lines broken, WITHOUT it leaking gas... the 2 lines I THINK are return lines...or fuel vapor lines, so theres not always gas comeing through them...

I drove it to the parts store with the bracket off and the lines broken...No leaking......
I DONT recommend it, but I did do it without any problems. For those of you in a jam and need to get to the parts store...
I figured in my case, the lines must have been broken for about a year and it never leaked...

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Awesome write up Ryan. This proves the site isn't completely dead after all

My Ride Thread: http://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsoccer09 View Post
Awesome write up Ryan. This proves the site isn't completely dead after all
Thanks Tim : )
Old August 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

heres the rest of this job...more pics.

You do NOT want to leave this bracket off, since its for safety. : )

so here it is back on and the process I did...

Heres the bracket in the sink...I filled it with water to see how it drains...

Notice the water gets caught up where the weld is...its really rusting there too.

So I sanded the rust the best I could, drilled another hole by the weld for better drainage and painted the bracket black.
(Now the water and dirt wont get caught in the rust.)
Much better. : )

since I broke 2 of the bolts, when getting the bracket off, I had to drill out the old bolts, and re-tap the holes. (there M8 thread )

to get the bracket back in, its a tight fit...
You have to feed the bracket in, from the wheel well, down, but over the line that goes to the charcoal box... then jiggle the bracket, and move another rubber hose that comes out of the charcoal box, out of the way.
(the bolt holes on the bracket make it a pain to get the bracket back in place, but youll get it...be carefull not to break/pinch any other lines... take your time...
here it is in... this is the angle you want to pull the bracket in from...
laying there, I feed it in from the wheel well, and was able to jiggle it in place and move the lines from the under side...
notice one of the new bolts holding it up...

just below the bracket is the line going into the charcoal box...thats the line you need to feed the bracket over.

heres another new bottom bolt...
you can see both new bottom bolts here...

heres the 3rd bolt holding the bracket to the car...Its kinda hard to see.
You can see it here cause the bolts new, it stands out... when I first started takeing the bracket off, I couldnt find this bolt. (Theres a rubber hose in the way of it. and you cant get your head in the wheel well to see it. I stuck the camera in there so its more visable.)
its to the right of the bracket..you can get to it from under the car with a ratchet, but this pic is from the side of the car, looking into the wheel well.

bracket installed. : )

notice I had my clamps on the rubber hoses just about perfect.
You want to have the clamps past where the bracket goes...theres not much room inside the bracket, so you dont want those clamps in there catching dirt and blocking water flow...
I cut out the zip ties I had in there too. They were just holding the lines up while I had the bracket off.

splash guard installed.
( the hole this bolt goes into,is on the bracket, it had a bolt stuck in it. I think the oem was M6 thread...but after drilling the old bolt out, I just re-tapped it to M8, so all the bolts are the same. : )

(you can also see 3 of the 5 push clips holding the splash guard in place...theres 5 of them. the 2 you cant see, ones on the under side of the rear bumper,bottom right of this pic, just off the pic, and the other is up to the top left of the pic...just off the pic..)

All Done! = D

(I'll check it in a couple weeks and keep an eye on the drain holes.)

Everyone keep an eye on your drain holes! : )

Last edited by ryguy; August 2nd, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old August 4th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
3M makes a product for rust and I've used it several times in the past. When applied to rust it actually makes the rust stronger then steel. Once again, I haven't used it in years now, nothing much rusts here in New Mexico.

I'm sure if you did a search for 3M paint products you could find it. I see were your fill tube still has some rust on it, and who knows, maybe someone else from up North may be reading.

I'm really surprised that no one else has chimed in whether they checked this area, or has the same problem. But good how to and fix!!!!

Thanks
John

Old August 4th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks John. : )

I'll have to check that out, cause after looking under the car more, I see some other rust spots I want to fix too.

I was going to spray the fill tube with "truck bed liner" but after looking at it more, its not rusted as bad as I thought it was....but the product you mentioned would be perfect for it.

Last edited by ryguy; August 4th, 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is the stuff I used, bu mine came in a small plastic bottle with a brush to paint it on with.

3M Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter - 3509

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks John! = D

I could only find the 3M rust fighter... Which didnt really do what you said...
Its more of a wax, and dosent dry hard like the one you said...

Thanks for the link! : )
I cant find the 3M stuff around me, but I found Rustoleum brand and Dublicolor brand rust converter near me. I'm going to pick up a can tonight and try to do it this weekend. I know 3M is better, but these others may be worth a shot. They say they do the same thing.

Think I should add some "truck bed liner" or rubberized spray to give it some more strength and help protect it?
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

I went back and made this better I think...the rust was bothering me...

Thanks again for the idea John (Clovisman).
(I didnt know they made a spray on rust stopper/eater... I've only seen rust preventer...I know about vinegar and other solutions though...)

I prob should have used the 3M stuff, but this stuff seemed to work and was local.

heres a quick "before". from side shot

"after" Rust Fix. from side shot

"before" from under shot

"after" from under shot

more pics of the Rust-Fix process...link...
Rust Fix by rygdogg1 | Photobucket

Then I added some spray on truck bed liner. about 5 layers...
(dont have a pic of it, I tossed the can.)
side shot

close up

close up

under shot

DONE...Bracket back on...

(notice I sprayed that rear brace that was rusting pretty good, with the rust fix stuff... it looks much better now too.)

more pics of the truck bed liner process.
Rust Fix And Truck Bed Liner by rygdogg1 | Photobucket

I wish I had sprayed the bracket with the rust fix stuff before I painted it... but at least I somewhat fixed the fuel filler line. : )
It should be fine for a long time, but I'll keep an eye on it...

Keep an eye on your drain holes everyone! : )

Last edited by ryguy; August 19th, 2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Nice job, I hate rust!!

Old April 14th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Phil
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse Spyder GS
IT-Gnome is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info on this. I just got my '08 Spyder and it's been throwing the P0456 code regularly. Now I have a good place to start looking.
IT-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Gnome View Post
Thanks for the info on this. I just got my '08 Spyder and it's been throwing the P0456 code regularly. Now I have a good place to start looking.
Your welcome. : )
I hope it helps.
in your case, P0456 is a larger leak.....P0442 is a smaller leak...so this may not be your issue, but deff a good place to check/start. maybe yours is totally broken/worse then mine was.

Please post back if it does?
I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Last edited by ryguy; June 17th, 2016 at 09:40 PM.

Tags
auto, baby, back, bolts, bracket, broken, cars, clean, code, cost, day, drain, drip, fix, fuel, gas, good, leak, oem, parts, problem, rear, repair, stop, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.